Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crankshaft Pulley (w/ Degrees) for SVDA distributor timing ?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SupBeat74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Crankshaft Pulley (w/ Degrees) for SVDA distributor timing ? Reply with quote

Hello everyone;

My Specs:
- 1974 Super
- 1600cc
- 34 PICT 3 (HECHO EN MEXICO) from previous owner.
- Currently running 009 from previous owner.

I have done some homework and have decided to change out my 009 for a SVDA distributor (Genuine VW of Mexico from cip1). I have never installed a SVDA so I will be taking it to a reputable mechanic in the area.
I have purchased the following;
- SVDA (of course)
- O-ring (distributor shaft seal)
- Original metal vacuum tube (Carb to SVDA)

I have read it is recommended that I change out my original crankshaft pulley (black, no degrees) for one that has the degrees printed/engraved on it in order to get the timing just right. I definitely want my SVDA timed as close to "perfect" as possible.

QUESTIONS:
How critical is it have a CS Pulley w/ degrees for SVDA timing?
Is it worth spending the extra cash for a pulley w/ degrees when setting the SVDA distributor timing?

I found this "Pulley Degree Template". I would like to print it at take it to my mechanic, but I don't want to disparage his intelligence.
http://www.hot-spark.com/Hot-Spark-009-VW-Type-I-Pulley-Degree-Template.pdf

Thank you in advance for any advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
betatested
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley (w/ Degrees) for SVDA distributor timi Reply with quote

SupBeat74 wrote:
Hello everyone;

My Specs:
- 1974 Super
- 1600cc
- 34 PICT 3 (HECHO EN MEXICO) from previous owner.
- Currently running 009 from previous owner.

I have done some homework and have decided to change out my 009 for a SVDA distributor (Genuine VW of Mexico from cip1). I have never installed a SVDA so I will be taking it to a reputable mechanic in the area.
I have purchased the following;
- SVDA (of course)
- O-ring (distributor shaft seal)
- Original metal vacuum tube (Carb to SVDA)

I have read it is recommended that I change out my original crankshaft pulley (black, no degrees) for one that has the degrees printed/engraved on it in order to get the timing just right. I definitely want my SVDA timed as close to "perfect" as possible.

QUESTIONS:
How critical is it have a CS Pulley w/ degrees for SVDA timing?
Is it worth spending the extra cash for a pulley w/ degrees when setting the SVDA distributor timing?

I found this "Pulley Degree Template". I would like to print it at take it to my mechanic, but I don't want to disparage his intelligence.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

There is nothing wrong with using your stock pulley as long as you have a mark for TDC. My pulley only has a notch for 5* ATC and TDC, but I got my SVDA timed up perfectly. I have purchased but not installed a degree pulley, and just lined the 2 up and make a couple new marks with a sharpie on my old pulley for 8* BTDC, 30* BTDC and 40* BTDC.

By the way, installing one of these guys is really easy even if it's your first time. You just need a 10mm socket (bolt to tighten the distributor clamp), a 13mm socket (bolt to hold the clamp onto the engine), a timing light, and a dwell/tach. Your timing light and dwell/tach can be purchased at a Sears for about $50 combined. Or you can spend more for a really snazzy timing light that has an advance feature and not even have to worry about getting the right marks on your pulley if you have a TDC dent.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since a 74 originally came with a single vacuum distributor, it is very likely that your pulley already has the correct timing marks on it.
Timing is set to 7.5º BTDC at idle with the hose hooked up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
betatested
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Since a 74 originally came with a single vacuum distributor, it is very likely that your pulley already has the correct timing marks on it.
Timing is set to 7.5º BTDC at idle with the hose hooked up.

My 74 has an engine from a 68 in it, and that's how I got it from the last guy.

Never assume anything with these cars, always double check everything.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Pulley (w/ Degrees) for SVDA distributor timi Reply with quote

SupBeat74 wrote:

You could ask him how HE determines WHERE to mark the crank pulley to match the distributor. Then ask him how he would time the new distributor since you will be timing it in the future.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all you need (but I install degree pulleys on all of mine)

Just cut it out, make a mark at 28, 30 and 32 degrees. With vac disconnected set it to 28 at full advance (around 3000 or so RPMS) and see how it does - some folks run 32, but I usually find that 28 or 30 works fine.

Its really not hard to install yourself, but if you can, watch the mechanic do it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: