Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagon91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Brake Help Reply with quote

Are the front brakes drums and shoes on a 1958 thru 1964 bug larger than the stock brakes on a 1956? And can they be used on the 56 ? Do you also have to change the wheel cylinders with the shoes and drums? And which backing plate do you have to use? Thanks,Sam
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mid 58 & up brakes (front & rear) are not the same as earlier brakes. Basically everything is different. Backing plates, shoes, drums, cylinders. So if you go later you will be changing everything. earlier brake components are available except backing plates which you can pick up from thesamba classifieds or swap meets. Earlier brake parts are a little more expensive but not that much. Only reason I'd go with later brakes would be a bit more stopping power.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the previous post says, all the later front brake components are different from the Oval Bug setup, but they fit on the spindles exactly the same, so they are a good improvement. You will then have 22mm wheel cylinders in the front instead of 19mm cylinders.

If you change the fronts to the newer style, then you might want to consider improving the rears as well. If you still have the original rear brakes, you can put your original front wheel cylinders on the rear. Your front 19mm cylinders are same size as the 58-64 rears. They fit exactly the same as the original rear 17mm wheel cylinders and no other changes are needed to backing plates, shoes or drums.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58-64 front and rear brakes can be used complete on 57 and older. notice completebacking plates outwards. if you wish to keep ebrakes coming in from rear then use 57 older ebrake cables by using right on left and left on right,otherwise use 58-64 ebrake cables coming in front as normal 58 onwards.
the 58-64 drums can be machined on lip to clear 57 and older brakes(backing plate rim) as 57 down drums are almost non existant,while 58-64 can be found easily.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about bearings front and rear? We are switching over to 58-64 drums and brakes on a '56 Oval. Will the bearings in the front 58-64 drums be ok on the '56 front spindles? Also will there be any issues using the 58-64 rear drums and backing plates on the '56 as far as the bearings? thanks
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bearings are the same on the front.

The bearings are the same on the rear. I've only found one minor difference between the Oval and Square rear backing plates worth mentioning as it relates to the bearings, and that is the Square backing plates I measured are slightly thicker than the Oval. While this could cause an issue with the rear wheel bearing O-rings sealing, I doubt you would have trouble with it. It's more important to keep the axle tube and bearing covers matched for the correct year as they have significant design changes. Keep Oval bearing covers with Oval axle tubes, and so on.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
What about bearings front and rear? We are switching over to 58-64 drums and brakes on a '56 Oval. Will the bearings in the front 58-64 drums be ok on the '56 front spindles? Also will there be any issues using the 58-64 rear drums and backing plates on the '56 as far as the bearings? thanks

read my post above yours.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
The bearings are the same on the front.

The bearings are the same on the rear. I've only found one minor difference between the Oval and Square rear backing plates worth mentioning as it relates to the bearings, and that is the Square backing plates I measured are slightly thicker than the Oval. While this could cause an issue with the rear wheel bearing O-rings sealing, I doubt you would have trouble with it. It's more important to keep the axle tube and bearing covers matched for the correct year as they have significant design changes. Keep Oval bearing covers with Oval axle tubes, and so on.

I'm confused now.
So '58-64' rear backing plates work with split bug (or oval) axle tube and split bug (or oval) bearing covers?
No chance on leaking O-ring there?
I'm asking because I have a split bug axle and split bug bearing cover, and '58-'64 backing plate and '58-'64 drum (I don't have a '58-'64 bearing cover unfortunately).

Should I be OK when using the split (or oval) bearing covers with the '58-'64 rear backing plate? Or do I really need to source '58-'64 bearing covers?
Does anyone have experience with this combination being leak-free?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tisius wrote:

So '58-64' rear backing plates work with split bug (or oval) axle tube and split bug (or oval) bearing covers?
No chance on leaking O-ring there?

There is always a chance for a leak. Keep your oil slinger in place and give it a try. It will probably be fine.
tisius wrote:

Should I be OK when using the split (or oval) bearing covers with the '58-'64 rear backing plate? Or do I really need to source '58-'64 bearing covers?
Does anyone have experience with this combination being leak-free?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Bearing covers should match the design of the axle tube or bearing housing. Early tubes/housings, early covers.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the clear answer!
Yep, then I'll give it a try with the split bug axle and split bug bearing cover, + 58-64 backing plate and other brake components 58-64.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: