Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you get Vanagon bolts, screws, etc?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Where do you get Vanagon bolts, screws, etc? Reply with quote

I need one bolt for the Zbed. I've looked around a bit on the web with no luck. I didn't notice I was missing one until I started reinstalling tonight and Sat night isn't a good time to call anyone. But, in general, where do you get bolts for your Vanagon?

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a pinch, Ace Hardware near my house has a good selection of metric nuts and bolts in various sizes, hardnesses, and thread pitches. They are in the plastic drawers above where all of the common stuff is.

If I plan ahead there is a hardware store called Marshal Hardware (in San Diego of course) that has just about every conceivable fastener you could think of, or not think of. I can waste a good hour just going through the isles there.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. I've been wanting some high quality A2-70 bolts, nuts and washers (for the exhaust) and haven't found them in the Home Depot / Lowes axis.

I've been thinking about going online. Anyone try boltdepot.com?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with the nuts vibrating loose on my exhaust, so I bought the copper coated nuts from Van-cafe and haven't had a problem since. Also, they dont rust so you can get them off again without having to cut through them.
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, Mofus.
Since I was having trouble finding the stainless bolts, I hadn't even started to think about the copper nuts yet, and boltdepot doesn't have them.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://stores.ebay.com/METRIC-SCREW-AND-TOOL-COMPA...amp;_pgn=3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace is the place! I found exactly what I needed at an old Ace Hardware here in Knoxville. They have an excellent selection of metric bolts.

89 Syncro - Juniper Mackenzie

09 Honda Fit - Finnie
17 Ram ProMaster - John Hordle
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Vanagon specific, GoWest, Van Cafe, Bus Depot, etc.

For general metric hardware:
www.mcmaster.com
I have been purchasing from McMaster for years, on a need basis, so I have a great collection of metric hardware now, especially the 5mm thread size which it seems only the Germans are fond of.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: nuts and bolts Reply with quote

In Canada - Brofasco - they have everything in metric or SAE sizes, threaded rod (metric) and every other conceivable type of fastener. They're also my "go to" guys for odd or rare tools.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: