Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Systems check
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Systems check Reply with quote

Brakes - done all around - check
Fuel lines - done em all - check
Re seal fuel tank - check
Grounds - cleaned and working - check
Second battery kit, headlight relay, - all installed and working - check
Clutch, rear main seal, trans. fluid change - check
Flux capacitor, starter relay - check
Wheels and tires - check and check
Cooling system - Captain, we have a problem

One of the last major projects left on the list for this year. Vehicle is a 1984 Westy with manual tranny.

Have following in garage or in transit from Bus Depot:

New radiator
New water pump
New thermostat
Just installed my temp sending switch
251121083G lower radiator hose
N90166601 Upper radiator hose
025121062 coolant pipe to bleeder assy hose
025121102 coolant pipe to bleeder assy hose
025121073E bleeder assy to thermo housing hose
025121103C Bleeder to pump housing hose
025121130A Cross over pipe to H valve (upper) hose
025121108A Water pump to H valve (lower) hose

Suppose while I am there, I should do the rear heater core feed and return lines. And since the PO did not have the front heater core attached to anything, I will be running that line as well. Dumbass had a couple dry erase markers stuffed into end of lines under van. Suppose that means the core may still be good, but . . .really?

Probably going with a split stainless tube for carrying the lifeblood to and from the radiator, but not ordered yet. Wanted to get suggestions to what I am forgetting so I can add to SS tube order.

Aside from coolant, clamps and such. Expansion cap new.

Suggestions on this total cooling system revamp?

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are doing such a major restore to the cooling system, I would not skip replacing both the front and rear heater cores and their respective cut-off valves. The rear is easy, and usually a leaker. The front is more complicated but doable in one day. Having the dash out for the front core replacement will also allow you to resore the heater box flaps and clean out years of dirt , dust, and possibly mouse droppings from the heater box. Bensplace website has a great step by step for this.

Tim
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for, a time saving and experienced opinion. Thank.you
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumbass had a couple dry erase markers stuffed into end of lines under van

That is some funny sheeeat right there! Thanks for the good laugh.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I was kidding?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

funagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the expansion cap lasts a few years, sometimes you get one that goes bad and won't hold pressure. It's a cheap enough part that I always keep a new spare under the back seat.
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believed you dude! It is just funny what some people come up with. Dry erase pens that is a new one. Thanks for the pics. I am still laughing my ass off at that. I am just curious what else you are going to find going through your van. How many more office supplies. Laughing

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the van come with the front curtain or did the guy use post-it notes...???

Nice documentation - git 'r done!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jfritchey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Collant Hose Reply with quote

Where did you order a 025121102 coolant pipe to bleeder assy hose?

I can't find one for my 1983 1.9
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chojinchef wrote:
Think I was kidding?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think the best part of that is that he even stuck them in cap first!

Ive found some pretty bad work by the PO of my van but for pure stupidity thats got anything I've seen (or done) on my van beat by a mile.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I see this I laugh my ass off. This one is too good.

"Back to the basics!"
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Collant Hose Reply with quote

jfritchey wrote:
Where did you order a 025121102 coolant pipe to bleeder assy hose?

I can't find one for my 1983 1.9

Going to try a Van cafe assy with a silicone reducer. Its a bit steep, but cheaper than a tow. And less hassle than explaining a tow to the wife Shocked after spending the cash to rebuild the entire cooling system.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: