Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official High-roof Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Adventurewagen Swing-out Windows Reply with quote

Do any of you Adventurewagen owners (or anyone else) know who the manufacturer was on those lovely swing-out windows used in the Adventurewagen tops?
Wonder if they are still available.

Sam Bateman
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Bateman wrote:
djs94124 said:"OK, this may actually be MY old '82 Adventurewagen!"

I did swing by and look at this AdvWagen. Talked to the owner of the place it's at and he indicated to me that he knew the original owners.
He impressed me as a life-long resident of the Richmond area and a trust-worthy individual.
So I'm guessing that this one is an East Coast replica of yours.
It is a 4-speed, however, and not an automatic. And it appeared to have in-dash A/C.

Sam Bateman

Thanks for catching the transmission thing, Sam. Don't know how I missed that. Hope you find a highroof that appeals to you.
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering a hightop conversion on my syncro - also considering a poptop. Can any of you hightop folks comment on wind crossloading? Any scarier than regular Westies? Does having the hightop affect your mpg much?

Thanks,

-Brian E.
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
I am sure that crosswinds must be worse with the top (North American Hightop) but it is not as noticeable as you might think (it's bad in crosswinds but it was bad before I put the hightop on), same with gas mileage (probably lower but not measurably). Neither would be a reason not to get a hightop IMHO.

The reasons to get a hightop are fairly self evident, reasons not to do so (compared to putting a westy top on using the "hole in the roof" method) would include cost, time and effort finishing it (insulation, windows etc.), reduced access to some parking areas and low hanging obstacles, possibly slightly more top heavy for extreme off roading (syncro) but the top is pretty light. It's a fun project, lots of room for creativity...
Cygnus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback - After studying the different conversions it seems that the hightop is a lot simpler to execute and offers a cleaner result for a top bunk (important to me with 2 kids) and the ever important more storage space. The height gives me some pause because around here a lot of 4x4 roads have low hanging trees - but the more traveled areas have been cleaned out by cabover truck campers already...
I'm not too concerned about doing a little woodwork to finish but I would probably get it insulated and lined before it even goes on to save that step.

Thanks again,

-Brian
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well After 8 and a half years we have decided to sell our house and move back down to Sacramento. We loaded down a moving truck and syncro-the Audi was already moved to Sac. The syncro performed great and seamed like it was not loaded down but it was.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just can't get into the high top would much rather have a bed uptop. Looking out on the scenery
mathieux46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fsf1o1 wrote:
Just can't get into the high top would much rather have a bed uptop. Looking out on the scenery

Umm Rolling Eyes You can look out the windows on the sides and back on an Adventurewagen as well as many other tops. Once again another urban legend debunked about a hightop. Cool
1986 Syncro Doka
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to say. I have a bed up top in mine, can get into it easily and can look out at the scenery when I am there.
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited a buddies shop today Stephans auto haus in Sacramento today and they had 15 Vanagons being serviced Very Happy Most were syncro campers Cool

1986 Syncro Doka
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
Sam Bateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what he's trying to say. I have a bed up top in mine, can get into it easily and can look out at the scenery when I am there.

Andrew,

Do you have any finished pics of the interior of your top?
Maybe I missed them but I'm looking for pics of finished-out Timber Tech tops.
I've been talking to John about fitting one of them to my "86 Westy.

Sam Bateman
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the bed done and have been planning on gluing on a layer of insulation and headliner onto mine, but have not gotten around to it yet. "Life is what happens while making other plans." In the interim I painted on a layer of white primer in order to allow use of the top while avoiding contact with the fiberglass fibers. I got my top before the opening side windows were available and have been planning on upgrading to the opening windows at the same time as doing the insulation/headliner. I have several other projects going on right now and so it might be a little while before I get back to working on my top.
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see what you have set up for getting up top Andrew!

I don't have much trouble in mine, just standing on the stove and sink and crawling up, but I can imagine it could be pretty difficult if someone were injured or something.

Also, regarding the curtains in my AW, I need a full set of new curtains, as mine were completely tattered and torn up when I got the van. They go around the windows with those springy wires, and they button up to separate the front and back/etc... Is this standard? and where can I get a new set?

Thanks for your time,

-Zen
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: high top Reply with quote

I used to clamber up over the stove etc as well. After I put the high top on and had space to store it when on the road, I bought a collapsible ladder. It makes getting up and down very easy and convenient.
I'll post pics of it and the "upstairs" bed once I get back to my main computer and am able to resize them for uploading.
In the meantime, here's our van "Moose" - 2.5L vdubaru up at Big Missinaibi Lake, Northern Ontario.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I climb up over the sink/stove to get to the upper bunk.

I wasn't trying to say that I couldn't imagine someone having difficulty getting up there. I was saying that I didn't (and still don't) understand the post by fsf101 largely because of it's cryptic improper punctuation and capitalization. He could mean that he has difficulty getting into the upper bunk because of some physical ailment and yet would prefer to use the upper bunk because of the ability to look at the scenery. Or he could mean that he can't "get into" the hightops, meaning he hasn't been able to see their value, because he believes they don't have a bed up top where you can look at the scenery which is incorrect.
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: hightop Reply with quote

fsf1o1 wrote:

I think what is being said is in reference to the height above the van afforded by some hightops. Some hightops are sized to afford storage fore and aft and headroom to stand up in the main section of the van, but insufficient headroom to accomodate a bed in the "upstairs" section. The top that we use is sized so that there is a viable bed/sleeping space up top. Everything is a compromise of some sort - you can't have adequate upstairs sleeping space without the height.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zentaka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh ok gotcha! Yeah I don't ever have much trouble getting up there either. Collapsible ladder seems like something someone could use if they had trouble, but for me I think it would take up more room and be more of a hassle than do good. I could imagine a little clatter-ladder coming down with wooden steps that collapses right over the rail when not in use, but again, not something I need.

About the curtains, I do still have all of my old ones, but as I said they are VERY tattered. I'm thinking of going to take them to a local seamstress and having new ones made with all the snaps and loops in the right places. Is there any other way to get my hands on some?
blakeck2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventurewagen Swing-out Windows Reply with quote

Sam Bateman wrote:
Do any of you Adventurewagen owners (or anyone else) know who the manufacturer was on those lovely swing-out windows used in the Adventurewagen tops?
Wonder if they are still available.

Sam Bateman

I have a nice set in good condition ( seals, no broken glass, hinges all work) that I wouldnt mind parting with Wink , PM me if your interested.

1973 Thing
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Saguache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedi wrote:
CALLING ALL HIGH ROOF DRIVERS! Ok Powerflex bushing report is in. I removed my steering rack bushings or what was left of them Shocked Here are a few upgrades to improve handling for us high top drivers that really make a difference. The sway bar bushings were toast too. Look at how ova led out they were. If you stiffen up these areas those parts can do the job much more efficient. After doing these upgrade I was blown away at how crisp steering was and stable the sway bar was. Get these and put them in! i installed these in about 3 hours taking my time. It was cheap and is much more safe for the family in cross and headwinds and semi passings Cool

Jedi,

Those are some damn sexy bushings. Reading this thread makes me want to work on Zeno something awful. Right now he's parked at my parents place about 2.5 hours away. I know I need to stiffen up the front end considerably. Once you got the new bushings in did you have to have alignment done? I'm going to be adding the 1.5" lift kit from GW this fall so I can mount my new SA 15" rims and BFG ATs. If alignment is an issue then maybe I should gather parts and wait to do it all at once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 25

Jump to: