Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Comparing Rigs: '08- up Tundra vs. GMC
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Comparing Rigs: '08- up Tundra vs. GMC Reply with quote

Help! I'll soon be replacing my '00 Tundra with a later model truck. I'm hoping for a 2007 or newer Tundra 5.7 Crewmax- but I've spent 1000s of miles towing VWs behind a friend's '07 1/2 GMC heavy half ton crewcab truck. His rig works wonderfully- but I'm a diehard Toyota guy. I had a '97 GMC back in the day- so I'm stuck between these two rigs.

The Toy has simple, underrated power- and does everything I need for daily use. The opinion on GMC is perhaps a little stronger toward it's towing abilities- but the reality: I won't be towing but a few times a year. I want to buy a rig for the majority of its normal use- not it's exceptions...

I'm hoping folks with either of these late model rigs will help shed some light for me. I've got the money for either- but hold onto rigs for a long time- so I want to spend wisely. I've narrowed it to just these two rigs- so please chime in with opinions on either of the two. Please tell me what you love and hate.

Thank you!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my GMC Sierra. But, it's on the top list of stolen cars (because they share everything with silverado's tahoe's and yukons, and escalades) Tundra doesn't share with any other vehicle right? This means replacement parts down the line will be more expensive
55reasons
Samba Swamp Cooler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got rid of my Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Limited due to travels overseas.

That truck was, by far, the nicest vehicle I ever owned, all around.

The gas mileage sucked.

If you don't have any problems with ridiculous gas mileage, the Tundra is a "no-brainer". Especially for a fellow die-hard Toyota fan.
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a GMC/Chevy guy, but I have to admit the new Tundras are really built to last. It's going to be my next truck if all goes as planned. Nothing against the GMC of course, I love them, but my choice would be the Tundra. It really seems to be a strong truck
Glenn A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Love my GMC Sierra. But, it's on the top list of stolen cars (because they share everything with silverado's tahoe's and yukons, and escalades) Tundra doesn't share with any other vehicle right? This means replacement parts down the line will be more expensive

I've heard of Tundras getting the Exhaust stolen for the scrap metal in the catalytic converter.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/2010/03/08/tundra-catalytic-converter-thieves/

I tow a 5000# camper with my 2003 5.3 liter Tahoe. It's got 98,000 miles on it now and has never been in the shop for anything serious! The brakes are weak on the older trucks. I don't know if they improved that any. The rotors tend to rust on the outer edges of the braking surface. I think I'm on my 4th set of rotors. It doen't help my wife and I are very hard on the truck.

60 Double cab
65 EzCamper
66 Double cab
62 Kombi
2017 Golf R
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A newer GMC with a 5.3 and active fuel management gets 20+ miles per gallon on the highway. So, when your aren't towing, you can get decent fuel mileage.

A GMC with a Duramax gets decent mileage too, and can tow your car AND your house. Very Happy I've seen 17-18 city, and 20 highway.

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Phil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 74 chevy K10, 350 with nearly a RV cam, and i get 8mpg parked, or going downhill with a house pushing it. But, this truck will town damned near anything i need too. one time many years ago we put prolly close to 1.5T of sand in the bed.

I love the Tundra. Especially the I-force 4x4 off road package. 384 hp. change the air filter to K&N and now you have 396. They are plenty large in the rear, I'm 6-4 and i comfortably fit in the back seat. They are extremely nice. As stated already, they get horrid mileage, around 12-14 city.

My '66 Baja Build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456365

Free from the evils of facebook Dec 2012. No other Social Media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great stuff folks! Please kep it up. My friend's GMC I just learned is a 1500- but has the 6 litre motor- that helps explain its effortless towing. It does get great mileage on the feeway when hauling a load- but not necessarily towing a flatbed with a bus.

Man, I can't believe Tundras are holding their resale so well! It seems $29k buys an '08 GMC- but won't even touch an '07 (let alone newer) Tundra...

Thanks again- please keep opinions coming. Bradford

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
c.davis419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having grown up in a family of Totota drivers (dad still drives his 03 Tundra with 180,000 miles on it), and daily driving a 96 Silverado for the last 4 years, I love both brands. Toyota had a real hit on its hands with the earlier Tundras but from a strictly cosmetic sense, I hate the 07 and newer ones. They are so disproportionate bulky and pig nosed with too small of windows. I think they went from being the most attractive full size truck on the market to the ugliest. Certainly not the most important factor when buying a tow rig but if I'm going to shell out 25K+ for a vehicle, I'd like to enjoy its looks as well.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been a Toyota guy, but I have had a 5.3 Silverado 4x4 '99 model for 4 years. I have put 40,000 miles on it and it had 130,000 on when I got it. I get 22 MPG on the highway and have had absolutely no mechanical problems, except for a dead battery. Most of the mechanics at our dealership have Chevys and several of them have over 300,000 miles on them. Just my .02 cents!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: