Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

e3 plugs holy s@&t!!!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Have you guys read the reviews on JC Whitney?

Why would I read the reviews at JC Whitney?
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they supposedly represent a cross-section of other cars people are using these on, and so speak more to the plugs themselves rather than to a specific application?

I say "supposedly..."
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tread has made me laugh, and shake my head about perceived absolutes. Vanjoe, thanks for sharing your impressions of the E3.46 plugs, even though they were anecdotal and didn’t include a double blind test or a trip to a dyno. Most of us only have seat of the pants evaluations, ours and our friends, to go by. Yours is just as valuable as the next guys. Full disclosure: I have certainly been guilty of placebo evaluations a few times in my lifetime before a second evaluation revealed the truth. I just think it’s funny some are convinced you had to have been running on 3 cylinders to notice an improvement. A PLUG CHANGE CAN’T MAKE A DIFFERENCE? WHAT? Hey, when you start with around 90 HP, any little change can make a difference. Having recently changed from a NEW set of Bosch WR7CC (gapped correctly thanks) to NGK BP6ETs and experiencing a noticeable improvement in throttle response, I can believe that you did as well. Would I notice the difference in my 350HP 57 GMC? Probably not. Just like I can’t tell any difference in performance when I have a passenger in the 57 but definitely know I have one in the Vanagon.

FWIW, a spark plug can have several variables which can affect its performance and life. Just Wiki search spark plugs and you can read a simple explanation of the variables. Metals used, Porcelain Shape, Wire Sizes, Electrode Shape, and Cylinder Penetration are the major ones. To think those differences may affect life but don’t affect performance, or make no difference whatsoever in either category, is ludicrous. Now admittedly they may be minor, but I’ll take every advantage I can get.

So here is what I propose: Let’s set up the blind test. I get up to the Central Coast every so often. In fact I was just there this past weekend. I can bring my Vanagon with the NGKs and my fresh set of Bosch as well. We can try all 4 sets of plugs in both motors without the other knowing which set is installed. We could even do some 0-60MPH, 30-60MPH and Hill Climb timed test with each set just for giggles. Just 2 drivers, 2 Vanagon’s, and 4 sets of plugs. Maybe hit up Splash Cafe for lunch. We may need an unbiased 3rd party to double check our work though, make sure we don’t leave a plug wire off those Bosch plugs. Another to mark off a quarter mile on Highway 1. A fifth to man the stopwatch. A 6th to log all the data. This is getting too complicated. Ah hell I believe you man. Jegs has them for $5.99 each. I’ll just order 4 and try them for myself, snake oil salesmen, alleged experts and professionals be damned. It’s worth $24 to satisfy my curiosity. If they suck I can always use them to plug my fuel line while I change the fuel filter. Maybe weld a little hat and feet on them and sell them for $2 at the swap meet.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadetreetim wrote:
... Just 2 drivers, 2 Vanagon’s, and 4 sets of plugs. Maybe hit up Splash Cafe for lunch. We may need an unbiased 3rd party to double check our work though, make sure we don’t leave a plug wire off those Bosch plugs. Another to mark off a quarter mile on Highway 1. A fifth to man the stopwatch. A 6th to log all the data. ...

I'll bring the beer.
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the ref.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: