Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

subaru swap no BS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouisR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info.....I will look into "small car" as the one stop deal. It is not feasible for me to "drop" it off with someone to perform the swap since there are no swap shops here in Texas. Hauling it to Washington State would be the same as buying one already completed by someone else.

It would be more feasible for me to do it myself without shopping all over the country for the parts.

Come on guys I'm from Texas we don't use fishing gear to catch fish. We don't spend the money on stuff we can use our hands for.....

HeHe.............They call it noodling or in some circles grappling.
roberth3850
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. there really isn't ONE recommended company that puts it all together in one nice neat box with instructions in words of two syllables or less. I know, I've been looking for almost a year now. I have been reading everything I can on the SAMBA about conversions and have come up with a semi list of different people that provide the various bits and pieces to make a conversion. It would be nice to just shove all the data into a matrix and pick off the top in each category. Ain't happening. After you have read and pondered a million posts and looked at many web sites, you will be confused and come down with sticker shock and vertigo, this is normal, it fades (except for sticker shock). You will start to develop preferences of your own based on what you have read and seen. Do some maintenance on your Van and start to get a feel for how these weird gizmos go together. It may be that this is not for you, You sound pretty determined, this is good thing. The folks here will be willing to help you any way they can, but you have to ask your questions clearly and include what information you have so they can give a coherent answer.

Robert
'86 Westy
P.S. You are ahead of me, I just pulled the trigger on an '02 Impreza power train and am having trouble with hyperventilating.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is the engine in your 2004 still a 2.2L? Or have you taken a better look? Cough.....
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
pjrae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1091580

I couldn't meet the OP's no BS criteria, though, since this one is probably too complete.

proof positive you don't need a pole to go trolling Wink
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want a one stop shop when it comes to the Subaru conversion. Trust me, you don't. Smallcar offers some decent parts, but some of their other parts are not that great. Tom Shiels, moderator of the Yahoo list, offers some of the best cooling system components, but he doesn't offer all the other products. Burley Motorsports sells the best coolant delivery pipe and the best throttle cable solution, but you can't get everything else you need from him either.

That's just the nature of the beast when it comes to Subaru conversions. Many inventive and clever individuals have worked passionately at different aspects of perfecting this conversion, and to get the best setup you have to go through several vendors.

I know it's convenient to be able to buy it all from one place, but in this case you'll end up with a much more perfect conversion if you do some research and buy the parts that people seem the happiest with.

If you do decide to go with Smallcar, one thing you don't want is their stainless steel header. Do some searching on here and you will see why. The Smallcar parts I would recommend are the rear mount and muffler brackets, and the cast aluminum oil pan.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: subaru swap no BS Reply with quote

LouisR wrote:
What or who is the company to get the conversion kit from to build my conversion camper???? Is there such a company or do I need to go to several different companies?

It's advisable to go with two or three companies to get all the parts you need. SmallCar and Kennedy (KEP) are the most often used.

The KEP adaptor plate, clutch, starter, etc. are all proven and respected. SmallCar does well with the harness conversion and some other parts.

You have options with both plus other outlets as well already mentioned by others.

It isn't that hard to go with several companies as opposed to a kit from one. You just need to understand the options and pick the best for you. I started knowing very little and it wasn't brain surgery. I now have three subie conver rigs.

I suppose a real plug n' play kit hasn't been developed yet like for the zetec because people like the available options for the subie and prefer to pick and choose.

Start by checking the SmallCar and KEP websites and become familiar with what they offer for a 2.2L. Then check some of the other websites like Burley and Vanaru for ditto. For example, I went with a Porsche 911 bananna muffler instead of stock on one rig. You should quickly become familiar with how it all goes together, what you'll need, and what options you'll want.

As already mentioned, Yahoo Subaruvanagons forum is the place for more detailed advice plus archives.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He wants a one stop shop.

Small Car meets his only criteria.

Yeah, I read that- the turnkey conversion kit that I offered wasn't good enough?
Small Car isn't the only player in the game as others have pointed out. I keep hearing problems with their parts and OMG I have some parts from them that have issues. Rolling Eyes
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently completed a swap using all smallcar parts. Everything works. I did have a couple snags. 1 thing was the reversed cooling manifold was touching the EGR tube (which most Subys don't have). All the parts where there. Don't expect an instructional manual. Help from them is just a phone call away. Do your homework first. I like you did not want to call half a dozen venders and buy their parts due to online forum discussions. This is the nature of the beast. Things brake. Custom parts are um custom. They had all my parts to me within 4 weeks including the harness. I bought all the options including the oil pan and dipstick. The yahoo group is okay. Not organized and seems to generate discussions based on folks unable to keep a subaru motor running.

My favorite resources (and of course thesamba.com):

http://benplace.com/
http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
The yahoo group is okay. Not organized and seems to generate discussions based on folks unable to keep a subaru motor running.

The yahoo subaruvanagon archives are the best initial use of that forum. It's organized and one can pan down through the headers looking at all the 'how to do' or 'what's best for' stuff. Later, when one is actually doing the work, one can ask specific questions on the forum chat room for help.

Going directly to the chat room would indeed be difficult because as suggested it's mostly about issues and dialing in the engine and peripherals during and after install. But one can do a search there with a buzzword for something specific.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Sell your donor car. http://www.vanaru.com/index.htm

I agree, Sell your donor car.

Vanaru Turn-key Engine Conversions!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Jon_slider on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans at vanaru.com does exactly that. Turnkey installs. He does it or can have someone to do it.

He got the best parts from different vendors but now, most of the parts needed are built by him or designed/improved by him.

That what he had in mind. No more multishopping.

1 client 1 vendor.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crughy wrote:
Hans at vanaru.com does exactly that. Turnkey installs. He does it or can have someone to do it.

He got the best parts from different vendors but now, most of the parts needed are built by him or designed/improved by him.

That what he had in mind. No more multishopping.

1 client 1 vendor.

This is the best kind of "kit." Plug and play.

I agree on sell the donor and get something like this.

This seems to be the unique advertised way of doing it.

Maybe other vendors would be willing, but not advertising, this sort of "kit."

This is approaching the least brain power needed solution.

PLUS, PLUS, PLUS his conversion parts are some of THE best, too.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One vote to spend the time researching for the better parts available... and creating your own ensemble.

It may seem like a real bother.. but if you are even slightly inclined to understand the mechanics, its worth the effort to find the proper parts.

I have parts from RJES, Burley, some home brewed stuff.. and will be placing orders with others including Tom Shiels, RMW and others.. I am sure.

Best of luck and chill on the attitude.. I have only run into one or two people who are not into the Vanagon business for all the right reasons.

One run thru the Seller, Vendor feedback forum will alert you as to who you might want to avoid.

Its also worth noting that even the best guys out there may make mistakes from time to time. Keep in mind you are in "customization" territory.. You are bound to run into an "oops" every now and then. It comes with the territory.

Signed
The dirge
(A hack hobbyist Vanagon "mechanic" who would rather be surfing than busting knuckles on frozen fasteners.)

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another single vendor solution:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460/
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gl98115 wrote:
Here's another single vendor solution:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=514460/

Check the thread topic. The poster isn't looking for a WBX.
trihartsfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to thread jack but has anyone done a detailed cost comparison on the following:

Cost of doing entire swap yourself (buying car, parts ect)?
Cost of Bostig vs Subaru self swap?
Cost of Vanaru plug and play vs Bostig? (I know there is a difference in the two swaps but those just looking for a more modern engine at the least cost might be interested, I am)

For example Hans at Vanaru provides a "plug and play", with support that you can have shipped to you and it is $9100 plus shipping with an engine that has 12k to 40k. For another $1000 he can get an engine with around 100 miles.

Some preliminary comparison you can get into the Bostig conversion (with significant work getting together everything you need and then putting it all together and installing. They do have great support) with all the upgrades for about $9000. Now comparing the the two conversions it seem that the Subaru would be better simply based on the HP comparison of the Zetec and the Suby 2.5.

Any thoughts?

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trihartsfield wrote:

Any thoughts?

You're just asking for a smackdown from The Moderator.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and forth for along time when I pulled the trigger.

I loved my WBX. Heads where leaking and FI tech was decades old and quickly deteriorating. One thing VW did not do well is FI harness. Couple that with shitty exhaust 1 thousand coolant hoses I wanted something simpler and more up to date.

I worked in a shop. I have worked on all makes and models. 1 thing the zetec does not have is low end torque. That focus I beat around the block after an oil change is suppose to have the power to move my van???

The suby on the other hand has instant torque and now my van pops off the line. It is as quick as any modern car. BTW I searched for a single port 97. Interference engines by design have more power along with better economy. Many seem to stay away from them since there is a simple to do timing belt that I plan on doing again in 60,000mi.

To each their own. I can plug my scanner into the beast. Do a little research and fix it quick. I think if I had more time (the most precious resource) I would have gone TDI or 1.8T or even simpler 2.0 or 2.5. They are cars. Pistons, wires and bolts.

I couldn't be happier with my little suby van and will drive it into the ground. 91 Tintop I have spent $10,000 on in 3 years and may be worth 3G if i'm lucky.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LouisR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great info and opinions.

I was hoping for a convient one stop deal (without spending 9 grand). I've just been through the shopping through six different vendors to find enough parts to rebuild a type 4 motor, built it runs great, has 4500k on it, and over 3000 grand in cost....

Thanks again! I will continue the research before I make the decision. I may scrap the whole idea and just build the 56 Mercury station wagon family heirlom for the long haul camping trips.

Thanks again.
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LouisR wrote:
Thanks for all the great info and opinions.

I was hoping for a convient one stop deal (without spending 9 grand). I've just been through the shopping through six different vendors to find enough parts to rebuild a type 4 motor, built it runs great, has 4500k on it, and over 3000 grand in cost....

Thanks again! I will continue the research before I make the decision. I may scrap the whole idea and just build the 56 Mercury station wagon family heirlom for the long haul camping trips.

Thanks again.

It's a great conversion and one I hope to do someday myself. Unfortunately until the GW syndrome settles down a bit, it won't happen for a reasonable cost.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: