Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

can you read the tea leaves of this vanagon engine?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccr152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: can you read the tea leaves of this vanagon engine? Reply with quote

hi. i found this 86 vanagon for sale on my local craigslist. he's asking 3000. the bus looks to be in good shape cosmetically, and he says it's been well taken care of and put in over 3k in parts, BUT the engine is making this anemic ticking sound. i'd be packing this van full and moving to northern michigan (8 hour drive from where i am), so i need to be sure it's sound enough to get where i need to go.

i was wondering if any of you experts out there could tell me (or at least give your best educated guess) what the problem is here, and how much it would cost to fix it, cause money is tight. repair issues could be a deal breaker. thanks ahead of time for any input.

link to video of the engine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyyq26jUtGw
snowsyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a bunch of new parts there, everything nice and clean, even underneath, nice wheels, etc. Looks at first glance like a van that has been well maintained. Hard to tell without being there of course, but it sure sounds like a lifter that won't pump up. Usually nothing to be too alarmed about, especially if the van has been sitting a while. They will usually loosen up after some running, especially with some help from ATF, SeaFoam, Marvel Mystery Fluid, or any number of other remedies.

I you search "stuck hydraulic lifter" on this forum you should get a bunch of stuff to read, to get you started. Make sure you search the forum not the thread.

I would definitely pursue it, for that price, and what appears to be good condition, could be a nice van.

RonC
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like snowsyncro said it sounds like a lazy lifter. Check the oil level and take it for a 20 minute drive and it should go away. You could even ask the owner if they are ok with you adding Marvel Mystery Oil to the van before the drive. It should be as quiet as a sewing machine when you get back.
Good luck
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet van, in good shape & a better price than mine!

Yeah - hit it with 4 oz. Marvel's Mystery Oil & it should smooth out.

Keep in touch!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
fsf1o1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice van sweet price Smile
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like a lifter, my 2.1 is currently making that very noise. It goes away after driving awhile, sometimes it takes a long while. I personally wouldn't be too concerned about it, though it is loud and annoying.

-Rob
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cause money is tight. repair issues could be a deal breaker.

Do yourself a BIG favor. Don't buy a Vanagon. It will empty your or your kids college fund for three generations, make your wallet as flat as a tortilla, drain your bank accounts, lose your sanity, make your eyes spin, your body temp reach 102 and grow hair under your feet.
Though, you will meet a lot of nice people, sometimes smelly tow truck drivers. When I had my Westfalia, I practically knew every truck driver in Orange County on a first name basis.

Crying or Very sad

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
Baxta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:

Do yourself a BIG favor. Don't buy a Vanagon. It will empty your or your kids college fund for three generations, make your wallet as flat as a tortilla, drain your bank accounts, lose your sanity, make your eyes spin, your body temp reach 102 and grow hair under your feet.
Though, you will meet a lot of nice people, sometimes smelly tow truck drivers. When I had my Westfalia, I practically knew every truck driver in Orange County on a first name basis.

Crying or Very sad

What he said. Seriously. The Vanagon isn't the right vehicle for someone who's tight on cash. Sad truth.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baxta wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

Crying or Very sad

What he said. Seriously. The Vanagon isn't the right vehicle for someone who's tight on cash. Sad truth.

Why does everyone here scare the bejesus out of someone who wants to buy a van? If you buy a good vehicle to start with, it doesn't have to cost more than any other used car. It's definitely much cheaper than buying any new car. I've had my current van for 5 years now and I don't think I've spent more than a thousand dollars on repairs and maintenance items in 5 years. It's been great and I would recommend it to anyone. Just be careful what you buy.
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with what's already been said about the ticking noise going away. Lazy lifter, could be a slightly loose valve adjustment screw, could need an oil change or a 20 minute drive. The other thing to check is if it gets hot too fast and stays there or overheats. Take it for a semi long test drive at all speeds and normal traffic in town and see how it runs.
I have a van that I've been driving for 15 years now.
They are excellent vehicles and not super expensive to maintain if you start with a good one and not a lemon.

Thank you,

David
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it really isn't too expensive to own one if you get a solid one to begin with. If your engine or transmission goes south it could be expensive but most things are things that you'd need to deal with on any car of that vintage. With any older vehicle you should plan on putting $150 or so a month into a maintenance fund so you can make repairs as things wear or break and if you keep on top of it you'll have a solid vehicle.

Other than doing the engine conversion to my vans I've had to do brakes, CV joint boots, fuel lines, hearer core and a handful of other minor items. Nothing about those repairs is particularly difficult, expensive, or unique to the Vanagon. Most old cars will need attention to those items.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no good Vanagon for $3000. By -good- meaning which will require no major repairs or or no never ending accumulation of small repairs, plus the towing costs and which will let you get away with standard maintenance and minor repairs. The simple proof is so obvious: the success of Samba and the thousands of pages screaming HELLLLLLPPPPPPP, Just changing a cigar lighter on a Vanagon is a major enterprise, it justified several pages and photos to show the solution.

Now there are always exceptions, for that lucky guy who buys the Vanagon previously owned by the pastor's wife and driven only for Easter and Christmas, we know that story ...... She must be the same lady than that one
little old lady from Pasadena who using the van for her once a month samba (the brazilian one Laughing ) lessons. The salesman swore to it.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a decent tin top for 3 grand. This one looks like a nice one with recent engine/tranny rebuild.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2510821719.html
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a very nice 85 transporter for $800, just needed a new gear shift lever bushing. Did the brakes, fuel lines, filter and pump, runs perfectly even after I t-boned an SUV (completely destroyed the whole drivers side) that ran a stop sign 2 blocks away from my house.

Thank you,

David
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Baxta wrote:
VisPacem wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Why does everyone here scare the bejesus out of someone who wants to buy a van? If you buy a good vehicle to start with, it doesn't have to cost more than any other used car. It's definitely much cheaper than buying any new car. I've had my current van for 5 years now and I don't think I've spent more than a thousand dollars on repairs and maintenance items in 5 years. It's been great and I would recommend it to anyone. Just be careful what you buy.

I think the main idea here, is that once you make something, anything, its a tale of time and input.

It takes regular maintenance schedules to keep these from being a moneypit like any car. It doesnt really matter that its a car, it could be a boat or a house.. same theory applies. It may as well be a spaceship.

Sad truth, these are FUN vehicles, and not all the times people afford the right level of maintenance or apply the maintenance schedule=cash/input themselves and leave it to someone else.. which is why people commonly find these aged platforms in needy status.

Which is why they're perceived to be moneypits.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
There is no good Vanagon for $3000. By -good- meaning which will require no major repairs or or no never ending accumulation of small repairs, plus the towing costs and which will let you get away with standard maintenance and minor repairs. The simple proof is so obvious: the success of Samba and the thousands of pages screaming HELLLLLLPPPPPPP, Just changing a cigar lighter on a Vanagon is a major enterprise, it justified several pages and photos to show the solution.

Now there are always exceptions, for that lucky guy who buys the Vanagon previously owned by the pastor's wife and driven only for Easter and Christmas, we know that story ...... She must be the same lady than that one
little old lady from Pasadena who using the van for her once a month samba (the brazilian one Laughing ) lessons. The salesman swore to it.

I've never paid more than $2500 for any of the Vanagons I've owned, all have been daily drivers, all have been reliable. None of them has needed anything more expensive than routine maintenance (CV's, brakes...). The one issue that proved difficult to track down was a bad fuel injector wire on my current westy (with tiico conversion) causing it to run on only 3 cylinders. but even this was a free fix. Somethings can be difficult to fix for sure but they are not necessarily more expensive, like the cigar lighter mentioned, a real pain in the ass but less than $20 in parts. If you do your own wrenching Vanagons in my experience are no, or only marginally more expensive to run than any other 20-30 year old car.

Dont forget that there are also Honda, Toyota, and Subaru forums that have 1000's of pages on them with similar postings about cars running poorly/not at all.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Alright , I am -W=R=O=N=G. Happy now ?
Yes, the Vanagon is easier and cheaper to fix and operate than a Schwim.
$3000 ? My lad you are extravagant and a big spender.
As mentioned, NEVER pay more than $2500. In fact I bet the best Vanagons are around the one thousand dollar (US$1000) mark.

If you ever do a conversion, make sure you do a TIICO. Subaru ? puaaaaaa
Ford uuuuueeeee ?
No, THE TIICO, now that IS happiness. The conversion was that good that the chaps selling it are now retired and bought Monte Carlo.
So then Yes do buy that Vanagon. You will be way financially ahead of those guys who drive Toyotas which are well known the World over for being crates of s.. and trouble.

Yes, I AM WRONG, even better get a Syncro, now you have it all, I bet 1 million miles on basic maintenance only. How much did I pay for that front half axle again from that dealer 20 years ago ? [never mind it is not politically correct HERE to divulge that information]

Anyway it's just money which as we know does not buy happiness, a Vanagon does, preferably a Westy Syncro for less that $3000.

I AM WRONG !!!

Now the Bentley stompers, Happy at last ? Rolling Eyes

foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisPacem wrote:
Laughing Alright , I am -W=R=O=N=G. Happy now ?
Yes, the Vanagon is easier and cheaper to fix and operate than a Schwim.
$3000 ? My lad you are extravagant and a big spender.
As mentioned, NEVER pay more than $2500. In fact I bet the best Vanagons are around the one thousand dollar (US$1000) mark.

If you ever do a conversion, make sure you do a TIICO. Subaru ? puaaaaaa
Ford uuuuueeeee ?
No, THE TIICO, now that IS happiness. The conversion was that good that the chaps selling it are now retired and bought Monte Carlo.
So then Yes do buy that Vanagon. You will be way financially ahead of those guys who drive Toyotas which are well known the World over for being crates of s.. and trouble.

Yes, I AM WRONG, even better get a Syncro, now you have it all, I bet 1 million miles on basic maintenance only. How much did I pay for that front half axle again from that dealer 20 years ago ? [never mind it is not politically correct HERE to divulge that information]

Anyway it's just money which as we know does not buy happiness, a Vanagon does, preferably a Westy Syncro for less that $3000.

I AM WRONG !!!

Now the Bentley stompers, Happy at last ? Rolling Eyes

Never said you were wrong, just giving my experience in using Vanagons as daily drivers for about the last 15 years. It could be that I've had remarkably bad luck with other brands of cars. And that it is possible to get a decent vanagon for less than $5000. But it is possible, even likely that you can find one if you look in a wide area and are willing to travel to get it, or travel and not get it, if it is not as described. I've driven from NYC to Montpelier Vermont and come home empty handed because the were more faults with the van than the seller described. Was I happy? No, but I also didnt make a foolish decision because I drove all that way.

The Tiico conversion is certainly not the best, but it is what is in my van, I never said it was the best, or even good, and I made no comparison to any other conversion. I'm not going to remove it while it works because it is no longer the flavor of the month in the conversion world. I guess it is forbidden to even mention the tiico conversion on this forum these days and not talk about how bad it is or how much better a subaru conversion, or bostig is. So I apologize for that, by the way the Tiico conversion still has good support from FAS in Maine, but I feel obliged to mention that the conversion is total crap, and my van should be burned for ever having one of those vile conversions in it.

I never said they were easy to fix, quite the opposite they can be a drag to fix, (I even gave an example of an issue with my own van that was a tough fix) but not necessarily more expensive than other cars.

Also if you find a syncro for under $3000 that is running, drivable, and rust free you should pass on it, but please forward the information to me so I can call a scrap yard and let them know where to get it. I paid about $225 ($20 less than they are today) for the front outer CVs about 10 years ago for my syncro. VolksCafe had them back them just as they dio today, no need to go to the dealer, maybe you didnt know about the aftermarket suppliers when you had your syncro, but dealer prices are not an inherent flaw of the syncro vanagon, dealer prices are high for every make even Toyota, and Subaru. That was the largest expense I incurred in my 3 years owning it. No leaky head gaskets, no broken transmission, I rebuilt the Power Steering pump, but that was well under $30. I also had a front stabilizer link shear off, but I just welded a grade 8 bolt to the remaining link and was up and running in a few hours (replacements were not available at the time, they are now). Support is better now than it was 10 years ago for syncros. Some part cost a little more than the comparable part for a 2wd van, but most dont need replacing that often, so it is not too big of a deal. Your really still pretty sour about the cost of an axle 20 years ago?

So i guess we should all shred or crush our Vanagons and put them into the trunk of a Subaru so they will at last be reliable.

Sorry for this getting so off topic, but I hate it when people make it seem like owning a Vanagon is going to ruin your life. They will not eat your dog, sleep with your wife, steal your children, or anything like that. You may put a few hundred, or even a few thousand dollars into one over the course of ownership than you would with an econobox, but what you get from it will far out weigh the additional cash outlay.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently all you really need to make your van reliable is a sh*t load of gauges and switches. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, that's my instrument cluster!

Thank you,

David
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: