Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx on the Banx, October 14 - 16, Nags Head North Carolina
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Manx on the Banx, October 14 - 16, Nags Head North Carolina Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Manx Club will be hosting the first annual Manx on the Banx in beautiful Nags Head, North Carolina on October 14 through 16. The event will include two cruises, one on the beach and one on paved roads, a bonfire and a geocaching run. While this is a Manx club event, any type of buggy is welcome. You do have to be a Manx Club member to attend but we will be happy to sign you up at the event.

Event Agenda:

Friday Afternoon
- Check in/social mixer/dinner/parking lot show at the Outer Banks Brewery. 6 pm

Saturday Morning
- Coffee & Donuts 7 am
- Cruises followed by lunch at a local restaurant. 8 am

Saturday Afternoon
- Free time

Saturday Night
- Pot luck & Bonfire 6 pm

Sunday Morning
- Coffee & Donuts 8 am
- Geocaching Run 9 am

Area Guides:
http://www.outerbanks.org/

Lodging:

The Island Motel:
http://www.theislandmotel.com/

Nags Head Inn:
http://www.nagsheadinn.com/

Owens:
http://www.owensmotel.com/

Best Western:
http://bestwesternnorthcarolina.com/hotels/best-western-ocean-reef-suites

Camping:
http://www.outerbanks.org/accommodations/nps_campgrounds/index.asp
http://www.refuge-roanokeisland.com/

Restaurants:
http://www.howardspub.com/ordereze/default.aspx
http://www.obbrewing.com/
http://www.thedunesrestaurant.com/index.html

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have just received word that Bruce & Winnie Meyers will be attending as special guests of the Manx club!

Thanks,

--louis

Old people at weddings always poke me and say "Your next." So, I started doing the same to them at funerals.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be fun to go to. Anywhere on the beach where we can go hog wild in the buggies, or just slow driving allowed?
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This covers it pretty well:

http://www.outerbanksbeachguide.com/newsinfo/randr.htm

There is nowhere to cut loose and the fines are steep if you are in the dunes or in any vegetation.

Still a lot of fun and plenty of wildlife and history to see. (Wild horses, maritime forests, ship wrecks etc)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barring any mishaps, I will likely be bringing the monocoque. If I cannot complete the fuel tank repairs, and my wife decides to come, I will bring the Manxter. IF it is just my son and I, it will be the Towd.

So...we'll see. I am completely stoked about this run.

Re going wild on the beach...please do not. They can also ban groups from participating and this would not be beneficial to the club, the group or the individuals.

WOOHOO. East coast Manx club ROCK ON>

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jallmond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, We went to OBX, (Oregon Inlet) last year with our buggies the sand was so soft and deep it was impossible to drive on the beach without paddle tires and some serious ground clearance. We ended up cruisein the streets and Kitty Hawk it was a blast, we were planning on going again this year, sounds like a lot of fun. The green buggy made it out on it's own the burgandy one (mine) had to get towed Sad

'64 Apache Standard Buggy
'60 Beetle
'63 Rag Top
'74 Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
Nice collection, would be happy to see any of them here at the beach.

John
Nice buggies, let me know when you come out this way again, I would love to cruise with you. Oregon Inlet is brutal in season (lots of deep ruts and soft sand) For the northern beach run (Corolla) I plan to time it with low tide as best I can and this should give us good running.

I did get stuck last year in Corolla and did have to get towed out. (second time stuck, first time towed in 22 years)

Fortunately I had Siggymanx#33 with me to immortalize it for me:

Not my best side. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vwrascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfnc, I know how you feel. Embarassed

This was the same trip as the pic John posted above. Notice mine in not in that pic. Laughing

VWCruisers-Virginia

'56 Polar Silver Type 1 Ragtop
'60 Caribbean Turquoise Type 1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jallmond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, this looks like 2 OBX trips this year. I'm down for it.

'64 Apache Standard Buggy
'60 Beetle
'63 Rag Top
'74 Super
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys air those tires down? Also is there a restriction on type of tire? Can you run ATs or muds on the beach or only street tires? I definitely would love to get down here..We're actually planning a motorcycle trip in June down to VA Beach and are considering a day trip down to the OBX. Vince, if we definitely make it to the OBX in June, I will try to find you.
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
Airing down would have definitely gotten me out. I was at 15lbs and after I was pulled out dropped it to 5lbs and had no trouble. Live and learn.

There is no restriction on the type of tires you can use. The only restriction is that the vehicle has to have valid tags.

Let me know if you come down.
Vince
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used both my street tires as well as my 31 murders. Airing down is a necessity! I run 5 pounds on the beach there. You can air back up right across the street at the marina.

Maybe I'll try to get the buggy together for this. Wasn't planning on having it back on the road till next year but... We'll se. Looks like a fun time.
Big_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to stop by this site more often, I could have easily missed this.

Time to get crackin' on my wiring!
snowymonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about making the trip up. I'll have to see how the details work out. We'll have a new baby by that time. I might be able to break away for the weekend and bring my friend Tom. If he comes should he ride with me in my Lithia Mk III, or would he be ok in his Rail?
BanxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Manx on the Banks Reply with quote

Delighted to hear of this event. I have lived on the OBX for 4 years and can't wait to have a true buggy gathering here on the beach. The north beaches are home to wild spanish mustangs that roam the beach and at low tide the beach is very driveable. If I can be of any assistance, feel free to contact me.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LouisB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. The event flyers and registration forms are in the mail to all Manx Club members. For updated information on the event, including registration information, event schedule and lodging check the official Manx Club site here:

http://www.manxclub.com/event_2011_banx.htm

Not a member but still want to go? Membership is only $30 and you can pay by paypal. Membership is open to anyone with a buggy, not just Manx buggies.

Here is the event artwork:

The first 40 to register get a free frame-able copy and you can get it signed at the event by the man himself, Bruce Meyers.

Thanks,

--louis

monomanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Bummer..no banx for me Reply with quote

Our Cub scout campout is this weekend...and since I am cubmaster, I have to attend.

I was REALLY looking forward to the first major East Coast Manx event.

Take pictures and be safe!

Chris
Big_kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a CubMaster too(1st year at it) and I feel your pain. I'll be missing a beach cleanup myself to take leader specific training soon. Does nobody else in the pack have the required training to go camping?

Things here are starting to look like I won't have the buggy registered in time for this either. Still no title, and no money tree in the back yard as of yet.
PONGOK910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: obx stay Reply with quote

Sent the registration in, planning trip now. Does anyone have reservations yet? I have checked mapquest, locating the listed hotels and found they are all some what close. But we would like to find out where others will be staying. Care to share your plans, or knowledge of the area hotels. Which ones are good or bad. Better yet, pick a hotel to be the "host" hotel, where most participants could stay.

Paul and Stephanie,
Hamilton, NJ
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathleen & I are staying at the Days Inn Oceanfront in Kill Devil Hills. Anywhere near Kill Devil Hills gets you close to the center of events for Friday night, Saturday & Sunday. As of Thursday, there was 10 people officially signed up. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: