Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Thing Heater Pictures
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caseydenise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: 1973 Thing Heater Pictures Reply with quote

I created this thread to show how my gas heater is hooked up. I had two people PM me about the hose locations and such. I hope these pictures are helpful, but I can't say for sure mine is right. This is how it was when I bought it.
I removed the heat sheild for the pictures, it is normally over the exhaust (gray pipe)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do believe that my exit exaust is missing a part-

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two pics have to do with the heater how?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

That's how the gas gets in the tank before you can use the gas heater.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinghunter wrote:
crofty wrote:

That's how the gas gets in the tank before you can use the gas heater.

LOL, silly me. Very Happy

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
locke999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: heater Reply with quote

notwithstanding that my heater dont work and i dont know y.

the fuel for the heater comes from a yellow pipe under the tank with a

filter prob in the line. the ones in your first picture are for return fuel/vapour.

ok so how does the heater work?

come on automaticly?

how do u turn it off?

i seem to remember my OLD bug would come on when u turned the knob and when u truned the knob off it would idal for a while and then shut off.

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the exhaust pipe that you are missing:

You really need this, or the heater will suck in exhaust and not burn correctly.
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: heater Reply with quote

locke999 wrote:
ok so how does the heater work?

come on automaticly?

how do u turn it off?

There is a knob behind the steering wheel (next to the light switch) that you turn to the right to turn on the heater. The first stop is "on", the second is the timer (turned all the way to the right will set it for around 30 minutes). Turning the switch all the way to the left is "off". There is another switch labeled "Temp" in a recess on the dash next to the driver door. Pull it out to set the temperature. Farther out == hotter.

The blower fan and glow plug (not the spark plug) do run for a little while after you turn it off, to cool the heater.

Oh, and if you have never turned it on before, it wouldn't hurt to do a first test with the hood propped open and a fire extinguisher within easy reach. Once you verify it works, swap out the fuel filter and possibly the lines. Just a precaution, so it doesn't light your car on fire. Confused

Just curious.. The port closer to the back of the fender well is the intake, isn't it? Doesn't that recycling the hot air from the heater exhaust back into the car, or do the strangely engineered pipes eliminate this?
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: gh tech Reply with quote

if you dont hear a clicking noise after a minute or so, your fuel pump is stopped up, hit it with a hammer to get it to go
or it can be a dirty glow plug,
or the contacts in the heat regulator arent working, you can jump the two blue wires on it, its the brass box on top. but dont leave it that way.

if it shuts down after a while and wont come back on, there is a safety switch in back of the heater, flick it to reset
or it can be the fuse under the big black cover on top, or one under the dash.
If they blow, you need to check the pump, regulator or the glow plug,
hope this helps,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good writeup (if I do say so meself Wink)
http://veewiki2.webfactional.com/HeaterBN4
sword181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a source for the rubber elbow that is connected to the flex hose that enters the body on the right as you look at the heater?
Mine is destroyed.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose this thread from the ones listed in the "sticky" to ask my current set of gas heater questions. I am considering to purchase a '73 Thing. It does not have the gas heater. I wasn't too concerned about that because I know there are some for sale here. However, my concerns have grown and I really want a gas heater for winter driving.

The only heater related item this Thing seems to have is the timer knob -- Knob A in the owner's manual. I'm not sure if it works. It might have Lever C for heat/defrost. I can't tell from the angle of the one photo, and the other photo has the added glovebox door closed. So ...

Is there a source for the ductwork? Is there a source for Knob B, the temperature regulator?

And you do-it-yourselfers are going to love this Embarassed Is there anyone on the east coast who will do the install?
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've seen just about every part for sale on Samba at one time or another. The timer switch is pricey. There are some alternatives to the switch. (check out Tallman's gallery)

I'd have no qualms about installing a bench tested working unit myself.
Worknclassbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have some ductwork for a 73 Thing heater if anyone is looking for something specific. I know I have the cardboard looking ducts that go inside the dash and I have some of the combustion air intake duct work. PM me if interested. They have been sitting around in my garage for a while. I'm not on here much so give me a little time to respond. I also have some other assorted parts like the temp control cable. Also have a timer but the plastic cog inside is broken. I'll take stock of what I have and post it.

By the way, I love my heater. Even with the top down on a cool evening it will keep the front passengers from freezing.
Huntington WV
Member of The Wagenfolks
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the Thing was sold before I could even get airline tickets to see it. Washington state is a little too far away for a gas heater install. Thanks for the offer, though. I may run into this issue with the next candidate. Getting ductwork has been postponed until I know if I need such items.

Speaking of ductwork, while it is apparent no one sells it -- either as NOS or as an aftermarket goodie -- is there a diagram that shows the pieces necessary? It would help if the dimensions were listed also, but I may be extra greedy here.

One final question if anyone knows this -- Are all gas heaters that came on Type 181's the same? The reason I ask is I saw a later model in the UK (1978 build date, I think) and it seemed to be a mix of early 181's (smaller turn signals, Type 2 taillights) and later models (ear muffs, reduction gears). That one wasn't for sale but I wouldn't rule out fetching one from overseas and shipping it. I'd like to know of any quirks I might be getting into.
comite27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where i can find the 6 pin connectors that are used on the heater wiring harness. Also, is there a tool that removes the the wire from the connector.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comite27 wrote:
Can anyone tell me where i can find the 6 pin connectors that are used on the heater wiring harness. Also, is there a tool that removes the the wire from the connector.

There's something pretty darn close here:
http://www.vintageconnections.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: