Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting to syncro
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Well, DIY is do it yourself and find out.

Be sure to photograph everything, label everything, measure everything...get your work done and than post all the descriptions, photos and how too to these forums for everyone.

I will share that I have over 140 hours logged to create my 2wd to Syncro conversion step by step PDF.
Not giving my time away for free any longer, sorry.
Shops are advertising this conversion, some with parts and new bushings and bearings included for $5000.
Maybe they will share the secret Rolling Eyes

If anyone would like very specific answers to conversion questions and is willing to compensate for such info....feel free to contact me.

Keep dreamin' Syncro...they are worth the time and expense for sure Very Happy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if he is doing the conversions for $7500 at $100 a shop hour 75 hours would be the time required. I know the first one takes the longest to do. After you have done a few, you can probably cut the original time it takes in half. So, I would expect to spend 160 hours to convert my 2wd to a syncro. That works out to about 20 Saturdays.

I am really on the fence about doing such a conversion. It does make more sense to buy a Syncro Vanagon Camper and then do the engine conversion, but honestly most of my time over the last few years has been spent on going over everything else and other upgrades. If I purchased a complete Syncro Camper, I'd still need to do another engine conversion and all the upgrades/repairs on a 25 year old vehicle.

That I believe is the appeal of converting a known good 2wd to a syncro. You take what you have sorted already, and upgrade the running gear. Sounds simple enough, until you look at the time the Van would be off the road. That is basically our entire camping/travel season.

We looked at a 91 syncro camper a few months ago. It was pristine and all original with under a 100K miles. My wife looked it over and in her words, "I like ours better". I sort of had to agree. Ours has memories, which has some value to us. That is not to say we could not start new memories. Anyhow, these are great threads to follow.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I would say if he is doing the conversions for $7500 at $100 a shop hour 75 hours would be the time required. I know the first one takes the longest to do. After you have done a few, you can probably cut the original time it takes in half. So, I would expect to spend 160 hours to convert my 2wd to a syncro. That works out to about 20 Saturdays.

I am really on the fence about doing such a conversion. It does make more sense to buy a Syncro Vanagon Camper and then do the engine conversion, but honestly most of my time over the last few years has been spent on going over everything else and other upgrades. If I purchased a complete Syncro Camper, I'd still need to do another engine conversion and all the upgrades/repairs on a 25 year old vehicle.

That I believe is the appeal of converting a known good 2wd to a syncro. You take what you have sorted already, and upgrade the running gear. Sounds simple enough, until you look at the time the Van would be off the road. That is basically our entire camping/travel season.

We looked at a 91 syncro camper a few months ago. It was pristine and all original with under a 100K miles. My wife looked it over and in her words, "I like ours better". I sort of had to agree. Ours has memories, which has some value to us. That is not to say we could not start new memories. Anyhow, these are great threads to follow.

I like your math Exclamation
Very close with my rate and the time needed to properly do the job.
IMHO, there are a few areas in the removal phase where time can be saved, but it will not cut your time in half.
Each build has taken me about the same amount of time.
Addons during the process complicates things.
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a full blown 2WD to Syncro conversion-totally badass-and totally worth the effort! SVX powered to boot-anyone wanna buy my 8K Bostig conversion?
PS-be sure to get the old man emu shocks all the way around-especially if you are doing an engine conversion Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syncro parts are syncro parts. I figure at this point every part on a syncro needs to be addressed in some way or another. As long as the syncro stuff isn't rusted to shit or damaged it can be brought back. Usually thats where the value in the $1000 rustbucket syncros come in.

Dylan, I completely agree with you that the rustbucket syncros we see around here aren't worth the time, (i passed on that one I saw on Tuesday) but if someone is looking for a donor for a 4wd conversion the $1000 rustbucket is just as good as the $6000 daily driver. The parts are still going to need the same attention. The fact that a poorly maintained daily driver goes for $6000 is an issue for another thread.

I'm sure you do what I do and look for the "sleepers" out there. Once in a blue moon I'll find a fairly rust free gem for short money....those are the ones that I keep and do up nice. They are becoming fewer and far between.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet....nice job Sean.
mwsnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One huge problem with the 2WD to Syncro conversion is the amount and type of side projects, which varies greatly from one van to the next. Having the entire drivetrain and suspension removed from the van provides an unprecedented opportunity to fix things that can only be done with the undercarriage exposed. Things like underbody rust, the condition of all of the front-to-rear hoses, lines, pipes, and wiring, can drive the cost up tremendously if they need repair, and there is no better time than during the conversion. It would be just as expensive to do this to a factory Syncro passenger van, but buying one in good operating condition to begin with, and converting to a camper, makes a lot of sense for this reason alone.

I have talked to Dylan at some length about Syncro work. Today's shop rates make it difficult, if not impossible, to build a Syncro camper for less money than a factory Westfalia Syncro. Syncro owners tend to be passionate about their vans, and mostly understand that you have to stay ahead on maintenance to make the ownership experience even minimally enjoyable. Assuming that you don't want to ignore un-repaired problems on the finished product, conversion is certain to be expensive in time and money, and you get to decide the ratio of the two by going the DIY route or paying somebody else. As my long-ago high school economics teacher used to remind us daily, there ain't no free lunch.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edgood1 wrote:
Syncro parts are syncro parts. I figure at this point every part on a syncro needs to be addressed in some way or another. As long as the syncro stuff isn't rusted to shit or damaged it can be brought back. Usually thats where the value in the $1000 rustbucket syncros come in.

Dylan, I completely agree with you that the rustbucket syncros we see around here aren't worth the time, (i passed on that one I saw on Tuesday) but if someone is looking for a donor for a 4wd conversion the $1000 rustbucket is just as good as the $6000 daily driver. The parts are still going to need the same attention. The fact that a poorly maintained daily driver goes for $6000 is an issue for another thread.

I'm sure you do what I do and look for the "sleepers" out there. Once in a blue moon I'll find a fairly rust free gem for short money....those are the ones that I keep and do up nice. They are becoming fewer and far between.

Because of my passion for Syncros, I have been given my last three parts Syncros by the original owners.
They all drove vibration free and shifted easily.
That makes them $5000 vans in my eyes.
They would have sold in hours in the classifieds for any less.

Passing on a thousand dollar Syncro says it all.

Trust me, the sleepers are out there.
The greatest thing about them is that the owners don't have any clue about the Samba or all the email forums.

If the suspension will not unbolt and allow for dismantling, it will take double the time and double the money to restore the donor parts.
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sweet....nice job Sean."
Thanks Dylan-I'm a buddy of Sean's-he wouldn't be caught dead behind the wheel of a bostig
You coming down this fall for some Uwharrie bashing? Bring Alaric too-vids, photos and comaraderie are all free

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll post some video tomorrow
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gobbles wrote:
Below is a full blown 2WD to Syncro conversion-totally badass-and totally worth the effort! SVX powered to boot-anyone wanna buy my 8K Bostig conversion?

That was a TDI-PD conversion - did he change it? Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That's a TDI-PD conversion"
Hey Karl-it sure used to be a TDI-PD conversion
I need to pick your brain a bit regarding the electronic PD workaround-mechanical PD is robbing too much power from the TDI
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points Mike. The actual 2wd - 4wd conversion is not that hard or that time consuming, assuming the donor parts and recipient vehicle are in decent shape to start with. Some people need to do a lot of work to get their parts into the condition they want them in and this slows the conversion or scares them off of it. Worst case is a huge undertaking of time and money for restoration that is not a true reflection of the actual conversion process itself. People who have long term access to a covered work area can entertain the huge project approach but it is not required for the straight forward conversion. My preference is to break these kinds of projects into phases that allow the vehicle to be driven or even used normally at different points along the way before the dreamed of state of perfection is finally achieved. (not that it very often is)

Mark

mwsnow wrote:
One huge problem with the 2WD to Syncro conversion is the amount and type of side projects, which varies greatly from one van to the next. Having the entire drivetrain and suspension removed from the van provides an unprecedented opportunity to fix things that can only be done with the undercarriage exposed. Things like underbody rust, the condition of all of the front-to-rear hoses, lines, pipes, and wiring, can drive the cost up tremendously if they need repair, and there is no better time than during the conversion. It would be just as expensive to do this to a factory Syncro passenger van, but buying one in good operating condition to begin with, and converting to a camper, makes a lot of sense for this reason alone.................
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is most of the info free of charge:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

When will this topic become a sticky? It comes up over and over again.

I could help write it and add all the links that are already in the archives.

Others here that have done it could also contribute?
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Herr Motorspiele
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You coming down this fall for some Uwharrie bashing? Bring Alaric too-vids, photos and comaraderie are all free

When are you thinking Gobbles?

I was here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40

Planning on Cape Lookout again probably mid-October but would really dig organizing something at Uwharrie.

Sorry to sidetrack guys. Keep up the good work. Very Happy
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Here is most of the info free of charge:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...mp;start=0

When will this topic become a sticky? It comes up over and over again.

I could help write it and add all the links that are already in the archives.

Others here that have done it could also contribute?
Thank you. Sticky this puhleeze. And David, do the build thread on yours. amazing build friends!
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herr Motorspiele wrote:
Quote:

When are you thinking Gobbles?

I was here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...p;start=40

Planning on Cape Lookout again probably mid-October but would really dig organizing something at Uwharrie.

Sorry to sidetrack guys. Keep up the good work. Very Happy

I'm thinking end of Sept or first 3 weekends of Oct-let me know-we're 2 hours away and itching for an excuse to go back
Link
[/youtube]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: