Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Split - Starter Motor and Engine Questions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samana76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your quick responses.
EverettB, you are correct, the wiring of my engine goes to the left, which is very strange. The wires are cut and go nowhere. See photos below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is no regulator on the engine, that's why I though I would connect the red wire directly to the battery. I too have a red wire that comes from the starter where it immediately has a large connection to the battery, but when I tried connecting this wire to the generator this shortened out as well.
Maybe I am simply missing the regulator. Would this fix the problem of the red wire shortening on me?
Thanks again.
Igor
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Questions with electric connections Reply with quote

samana76 wrote:
I'm back after a while of inactivity on this project.
I recently installed the new 1500 HO engine in the bus and I am starting to connect the wires, only that someone tinkered with the wires of the bus a bit and it's taking me some time to figure out what goes where.
I am also have problems with the generator or alternator that is fitted on the engine. Here a photo:

First off, can you help me understand if this is a generator or an alternator. I believe the alternator has a regulator on it (or detached somewhere on one of the engine tins), but this one doesn't, so I'm inclined to think this is a generator.
In any case the big red wire should go to the positive lead of the battery and the small green wire should go to the generator/fan warning light on the dash. Correct?
Well when I connect the red wire to the positive lead it shortens out. So either I'm doing something wrong or the generator/alternator is malfunctioning.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you.
Igor

the big red wire goes to voltage regulator,not to battery. this is a 1967 beetle engine as it has 67 beetle only air deflectors. this is a generator by the way. 1968 generators have studs and nuts instead of push on connectors. the other wire goes to voltage regulator then comes out other side of regulator then to dash bulb.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you need a regulator.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a regulator! I also think you need to step back, breath, and go buy a bentley. The bentley manual will answer all your questions.

First thing I would do, If I were you...Take off all the wires that came with the engine you installed. You can make new ones when you rewire everything.

Please see the below picture for wiring directions from starter, battery, voltage regulator(VR), to the generator.

Second thing you need to do is install the lower cooling tin, and then the heater boxes/J tubes.

Then move onto exhaust and other questions beyond that. Get that VR installed, and I would definitely disconnect the battery while you work

just my $0.02
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samana76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: It's running! Reply with quote

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I found them very useful and thanks to them, and a bit of fiddling, was able to get the engine running.
I am posting three videos so that I can get your opinions regarding how the engine is running.

Following is the first attempt. It looks like right when the engine was about to start running, for some reason, the starter motor just stopped turning. Do you guys have any suggestions as to why it may have been doing this? I changed the battery with a freshly recharged one and was able to get it running (see videos below):

Link

Next I was able to get the engine running by installing a freshly charged battery. However the engine backfired. It did this several times before as well when I was trying to get it running with the previous battery (you can see it at 0:15 in the previous video). Anybody have any suggestions?

Link

Finally, once the engine was warm, it started up quickly and ran without hick-ups.

Link

What do you guys think? Does it seem to be running OK? Please let me know your thoughts, opinions and suggestions.
Thanks.
Igor
1vw maniac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: