Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Hampshire Fall Foliage tour 2011 - suggestions
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
isn't there a heck of a LUMP over mt greylock? or sumsuch? i just remember a really steep grade along the side of the mtn once when cutting across the NW corner of Mass.. near N Adams, or Adams..

Sorry, I jump off route 2 before that stretch and head North to VT - so your memory must be correct. My mistake Embarassed
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my neighborhood.

If you stay on rt. 2 toward MA this is known as Petersburg pass, then you enter MA in Williamstown and if you stay on rt. 2 you will be on the Mohawk trail and can follow it to I91.
There a some really nice hills to climb with some great views. Nothing to be scared of though even with an aircooled van. The Natural Bridge State Park in North Adams would make a great lunch stop.
Mt. Greylock is about 15 miles south of Williamstown.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off subject. After seeing all the posts there seem to be quite a few Samba Vanagons in the Albany-Bennington general area. We ought to get together sometime?

1995 Eurovan Camper
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought is the VT state parks rule/costs for "group camping"
if you're just off season it's very economical.

Woodford State Park is ~7mi past Bennington
http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/groups_camp.htm

Salem7 wrote:
A little off subject. After seeing all the posts there seem to be quite a few Samba Vanagons in the Albany-Bennington general area. We ought to get together sometime?

Quote:
Group Camping
Whether you're a scout troop, church group, family reunion or just a bunch of friends getting together, Vermont State Parks has some great group camping options for you.

There are designated group camping areas that can accommodate large groups and are situated so that your group is secluded from other campers, adding to the solidarity of the group camping experience.

Group Camping Basics
A group consists of 8 or more people.

Groups camping in a designated group camping area pay a discounted per person, per night rate. See our current fee schedule for details.

50% deposit is required to hold your reservations with the balance payable upon arrival in the park.

Groups may make 1-night reservations for designated group camping areas, or for any park before June 30th or after Labor Day. Groups camping in non-group parks between June 30th - Labor Day pay regular campground fees.

Groups may also stay at non-group parks before June 30th and after Labor Day at discounted group rates.

Groups must be supervised by one or more adults who are responsible for the conduct and activities of the group.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

though it's the climb by the Eagles Nest that I'd prefer to avoid..
and the route is partly hampered by our timeline for this portion of the trip.

we're leaving Syracuse at/around 2pm, it's ~4hrs to Bennington/Woodford and that'll get us there near dusk. with stops/services along the way.

Mom isn't as good driving at night. and we'd like to be at camp by dark not in the dark. so I'll be watching this route intently for updates..

*EDIT: I found Historic Valley campground in North Adams, MA a town run campground and am checking to see if they are open the 1st week of Oct. http://www.northadams-ma.gov/index.php?nav_id=62
This may be a possibility if Rt9 east from Bennington is closed to Woodford S.P.

* I really don't want to stay on I-90 to I-91 and then where to stay the 1st night?
* I really don't want to start a trip by dragging her thru twisty backroads/hills in the dark either.
*If I take NY7 to MA2 to VT8 to get to Woodford for the night, I still need VT9 open to Brattloeboro to continue onto laconia NH the following day.

Edit: Mass Rt8 of course has it's unfair share of Irene troubles
http://www.iberkshires.com/story/39301/Clarksburg-...=most_read

*lastly a primary point of making this thread topic was for some lodging hints/recommendations in the New Hampshire area.. Where near Weirs beach? where near Conway, etc.. reading thru the websites for mom&pops always leaves me unwelcomed except for my wallet. (compared to state parks)
and National forest sites often don't well accomodate the ladies on the trips needs. though it's Ok for 1 night, but not a whole trip.

xoo00oox wrote:
This is my neighborhood.

If you stay on rt. 2 toward MA this is known as Petersburg pass, then you enter MA in Williamstown and if you stay on rt. 2 you will be on the Mohawk trail and can follow it to I91.
There a some really nice hills to climb with some great views. Nothing to be scared of though even with an aircooled van. The Natural Bridge State Park in North Adams would make a great lunch stop.
Mt. Greylock is about 15 miles south of Williamstown.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paul Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historic Valley campground is about 40 minutes south of bennington, I stayed there early this year with my two little ones their first camping trip aged 2 and 6 months at the time. The have electric hook ups and water supply. I found the best campsites next to the lake very friendly place. While I was there they had a night jam sessions and a drum circle but didn't go into the wee hours. The also have nice new showers and bathrooms built. The old lady is pretty much deaf so when you talk with her speak up !!! Natural bridge is about 5 minutes from this place it is a nice little park with a picnic area and a small hike.

Woodford state park I haven't slept there but have done plenty of day trips there. Very nice park and not far from bennington. If you decide to go south to north adams mass you can back track up through some nice scenic routes toward willimington VT. One side of the mountain has nothing but wind tubines it is a sight to see but don't know the road conditions. Bennington momunent is pretty cool I sugget doing it for the 3 dollar ride up to the top. If I think of more I will add.

Ps there are a few volks in the bennington area

Most likely the route from bennington to brattleboro will be open atleast we hope so

Enjoy your trip

Residue for president !!
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarks Trading Post is a must! I'd join the caravan down to TransporterFest but I think we'll have our own caravan that day. I'm sure we'll see you or maybe we could meet somewhere around the NH/MA border and meet go down in one giant caravan? That be awesome but tricky to plan... and it's a ways away. Who knows
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't historic valley where Buses by the Tunnel used to be at?
I just talked to my brother who is doing some work on the Kangangus Highway. He said you still can't drive straight through and he has to go from the Lincoln side all the way around to the Conway side to access certain areas. He is betting that they will have it cleared in a few weeks. Leaf peepers are a big part of the local economy and they are really pushing to get things open. He is going to call me this weekend with an update on road conditions. I though that I had some overtime last week with 60 ot hours,he has 72!! Working more than sleeping. His wife will be happy come pay day.
Looking forward to meeting everyone at Transporter Fest. Let me know if you want to take the Bostig Beta Turbo for a drive. I'll be there early if you want to take a turn at getting a feel for this conversion option.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gov. says the Battleboro- Bennington Rt. will be open this weekend.
Vermont has crews from Maine & Canada here helping get the roads open, yes it is important for our economy to bring in the tourist $$, so please don't skip Vermont, by the time your tour heads out, I'd bet most places will be back in biz.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
The Gov. says the Battleboro- Bennington Rt. will be open this weekend.
Vermont has crews from Maine & Canada here helping get the roads open, yes it is important for our economy to bring in the tourist $$, so please don't skip Vermont, by the time your tour heads out, I'd bet most places will be back in biz.....

Update from the VT DOT 511 site

Quote:
VT 9: Emergency maintenance.
Between US 7 (Bennington) and US 5 (Brattleboro). Look out for emergency maintenance activities due to storm damage.

Comment: Route 9 has been reopened to traffic as of 5PM on 9/9/11. Roadwork will continue in several locations due to storm damage. Drive with caution in these locations.

Last updated September 9

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O looks like the Kanc is back open in NH, so that's good news for the National Scenic Byway during Foliage season.
but the Rt302 in Crawford notch still looks closed from one side to the other

Still have to nail down each night's NH campground. will get together with others taking this trip and get some RSVPS locked in.

Quote:
You may want to check the maps and adjust the route accorsingly:

http://511vt.com/

and

http://www.nh.gov/dot/511/

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from this weekend is that the RT9 is open from Bennington to Brattleboro
we'll be hoping to camp at Woodford State park saturday night Oct 1st..
stop out and spend a chilly night with some travelling VWs.

Paul Bus wrote:
last time I checked local traffic from wilmington to brattleboro is open on route 9. I hear from bennington to brattleboro is going to be open this friday this is from what i have heard a few days ago but we have had lots of rain the last couple of days and this could have changed things. I know route 2 in NY was hit really hard and has long delays before you hit Mass. Route 7 all the way to bennington is smooth sailing.
I am right on the NY VT border 5 miles from bennington

jefflane510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
Thanks,

*lastly a primary point of making this thread topic was for some lodging hints/recommendations in the New Hampshire area.. Where near Weirs beach? where near Conway, etc.. reading thru the websites for mom&pops always leaves me unwelcomed except for my wallet. (compared to state parks)
and National forest sites often don't well accomodate the ladies on the trips needs. though it's Ok for 1 night, but not a whole trip.

Dan,

I grew up in Oswego, but now am living in E Conway, NH, so I don't get around to the campgrounds much. But Ellis River CG in Glen (jct rt 302 and 16) has a good reputation around here.

For entertainment, I'd suggest a Bretton Woods canopy tour. Far more time in the treetops than a straight up zip line ride like what Wildcat has. You could also take a trip up the Mt Washington Auto Rd (maybe in a shuttle and only truly worth it if the weather is clear). Take a drive up the Cathedral Ledge Road for excellent views of N. Conway. If you've got kids, Storyland is always a hit. You might want to consider a trip through Evan's Notch, Rt 113. This area has more farmland with hills in the distance than you'll see in Conway or Lincoln. It's more reminiscent of VT than NH. If you do this, you might as well stop by Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell (very very very good beers). A couple miles down the road from me is the corn maze at Sherman Farm.

If adventure is your thing, hire a guide and get out rock climbing. More mellow but still fun is a canoe trip down the Saco River (easy moving water, not whitewater). Rental services can handle the shuttle for you. Take a trip to Diana's Baths if you want to see waterfalls. Stop by the USFS Ranger Station on the Conway side of the Kanc if you want longer hikes. There is no shortage of outdoorsy things to do.

Food recommendations in Conway:
The Moat Mtn Smokehouse & brewery
White Mtn Cider Company (in Glen/Bartlett)
Flatbread Co. in N. Conway
Raferty's in N. Conway if you need gluten-free
Riverstones in Conway (pastries, cakes, etc)
Bailiwick's in Littleton

sounds like you're doing your research pretty thoroughly. Wish I could help more with the campgrounds. I'll be honeymooning in our westy while you pass through. Hope you have a great trip!

jeff
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update New hampshire has opened Rt302
and withthe Kanc open lsat week, this is an all clear for my NH VW fall foliage tour route.
http://www.governor.nh.gov/media/news/2011/091611-route302.htm

Quote:
Route 302 to Open Saturday
New Hampshire Ready to Welcome Fall Foliage Tourists

CONCORD - Governor John Lynch today announced that Route 302 in Hart's Location will reopen Saturday more than a week ahead of its ambitious repair schedule. With the opening of the Kancamagus Highway last weekend, New Hampshire citizens and visitors can travel through the White Mountain National Forest and on to Conway without obstruction.

Governor Lynch announced the opening of Route 302 before joining tourism and transportation officials on a bus tour of the Kancamagus on Friday.

"We made it a priority to open these roads before the fall foliage tourism season began and we accomplished our goals. This is was a complete team effort, with our Department of Transportation working with private contractors and various agencies to get these roads open," Governor Lynch said. "Considering the devastation, it is amazing that this work was completed so quickly. I am amazed at what has been accomplished in such a short period of time and this is a real testament to the department.

"New Hampshire offers breathtaking views of world-renowned foliage, and thanks to the men and women who worked on these roads, thousands of visitors will be able to experience these breathtaking views unencumbered by road closures," Governor Lynch said.

DOT crews also opened the Loon Mountain Pedestrian Bridge last weekend, in time for today's start of the annual Highland Games at Loon Mountain.

insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had our first frost last night, the leaves are starting to change and drop already.

dylan
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan and family have a wonderful trip. Will miss meeting you at Watkins as you are THE person who got me interested but your trip will be good. Yes some of our leaves have changed too but a minimum. We were like 5 degrees each morning over the weekend and had to use my Cold Start Cable which worked like a charm.

Of course you know the routine, pics or it didn't happen. >>Me bad!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I've made the final (as I can tell) route & camp Itinerary

Sat – Woodford State park Woodford, VT 802-447-7169 $20/nt
Sun- Harbor Hill campground, Meredith, NH Book: (2) days Sun-Mon Daily Rate: $32/nt tent, $36 electric
Mon- Harbor Hill campground, Meredith, NH
Tues- Cove camping area, Conway, NH (2) days Tues-Weds $30/nt electric (603)447-6734
Weds- Cove camping area, Conway, NH Thurs- Lafayette state park, Franconia, NH (2) days Thurs-Fri $25/nt
Fri – Lafayette state park, Franconia, NH
Sat – Peace Abby, Brookline, Mass $30/nt.
Sun –Transporterfest Brookline, Mass
October Mountain State Forest Lee, Mass $12/nt
** Approximate estimate of Lodging costs. $236 Bookings as Stevens Family group

so if you see 4 vanagons traveling thru, give a wave. or join up with us along the way.

Looking forward.. because I can't see backwards. Cool

Last edited by danfromsyr on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to meeting the Central NY group at the Peace Abbey.

1995 Eurovan Camper
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with Lewis and we've sent in our Abbey rsvps. so we'll hopefully see you there.

after T-fest were camping in Lee, MA at October Mtn state forest Sunday night the 9th.
it's last day of season there and oly $12/nt (+reserve america fee)
for anyone else who's headed back but can take an extra day after T-fest.

Salem7 wrote:
I'm looking forward to meeting the Central NY group at the Peace Abbey.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: