Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Step by Step Guide To Making Din to iPod connection
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stcj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:45 am    Post subject: Step by Step Guide To Making Din to iPod connection Reply with quote

You follow this guide at your own risk, i take no responsibility for any
damage/injury/loss caused as a result of the steps taken here.

This is a guide to building your own cable for din to 3.5mm iPod jack.

Tools:
1) Soldering Iron
2) Multimeter (optional but good to have)
Parts:
1) a switched 3.5mm jack- (jaycar CAT. NO. PS0133)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2) a male-male 3.5mm lead

3) 6 Pin DIN Line Plug ( jaycar CAT. NO. PP0308)

4) some wire and solder
5) Two 4.7K Ohm resistors
6) heatshrink tubing or electrical tape
Steps:

1) Cut the male-male 3.5mm headphone lead and determine which wire connects to the tip of the 3.5mm plug. In the diagram bellow it is shown as red (however the actual wire may be a different colour)
2) splice in one of the 4.7K Ohm resistors, insulate the splice with heatshrink tubing or electrical tape. Make sure you reconnect the ground shielding wires also.
3) Next solder the ground wire shown in brown to the ground pin on the 3.5mm switched jack and to the ground pin of the DIN line plug. Shown in brown.
4) Solder the other 4.7K ohm resistor between the left and right change jacks on the 3.5mm switched jack. And solder the wire shown in Blue which is the input to the pin on the DIN line plug.
5) Solder the wire shown in Pink to the switch point on the 3.5mm switched jack and to the Din line plug.

6) check nothing is shorting and everything has been properly insulated, assemble the line plug and mount the 3.5mm switched jack in a location of your choosing. I place mine behind the front trunk release leaver. ( I also mounted a cigarette light above it to use for charging the iPod)

How it works:
With the 3.5mm plug inserted, both left and right channels are merged with a 4.7K Ohm resistance placed on each channel, the Blue and Pink wires are open circuited, this puts the radio into accept auxiliary input mode and the tuner is switched off and the input signal from the 3.5mm jack is played. When the 3.5mm plug is removed from the switched jack it causes the Blue and Pink wires to short, this is the same function and placing the shorting plug into the back of the radio. This effectively puts the radio back in tuner mode and you can pick up radio stations.

Important Notes:

Do not use your hacked male-male 3.5mm lead with any other system.

Check all your connections with the multimeter to insure no unwanted short circuits exist

For added safety I generally switch the radio off before pulling the 3.5mm lead, then just switch it back on to start listening to the radio.

You follow this guide at your own risk, i take no responsibility for any damage/injury/loss caused as a result of the steps taken here.
eddyvdw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works brilliantly on my Blaupunkt Lubeck MY 72.
Now I only have to pick the right music to complement the sound of my 2.4E.
THANKS!
Ed
jlc7272
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have read your write up and instruction for making a cable for ipod to DIM for Blaupunkt radios. Thanks for doing this. I need to make one for myself. After reviewing your design, I had one question or concern. Since one resistor is inside the leader cable (to the ipod), what would happen if someone used a cable without the resistor? Say like my wife that uses a standard cable to aux in her car. I feel that there is some risk. So, I thought of a way that this could be avioded. Could you look at my idea and give me feedback? Do you see an problems with it? (PS..not sure how to add pics)
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlc7272 wrote:
Hi. I have read your write up and instruction for making a cable for ipod to DIM for Blaupunkt radios. Thanks for doing this. I need to make one for myself. After reviewing your design, I had one question or concern. Since one resistor is inside the leader cable (to the ipod), what would happen if someone used a cable without the resistor? Say like my wife that uses a standard cable to aux in her car. I feel that there is some risk. So, I thought of a way that this could be avioded. Could you look at my idea and give me feedback? Do you see an problems with it? (PS..not sure how to add pics)

Would no matter what Aux cable you use. The resistors are in the DIN connector which is always installed on the radio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one I just built for my Becker radio. It is switchable between radio and iPod. It provides line level inputs and charge for the iPod.

Click the pic for a large version

Here is the info on DIN pinouts.

Here is the info on USB pinouts

The iPod cable came form an eBay seller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steven_r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this cable also work with a Grundig Weltklang 4600VD mono radio with a 6 pin DIN connector?
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steven_r wrote:
Will this cable also work with a Grundig Weltklang 4600VD mono radio with a 6 pin DIN connector?

The Mono version at the top of the post will work as long at the 6 pin is an input.
mediasponge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very illuminating. Thanks! I think the pinout of the DIN connector will vary from radio to radio. I can see how to do this on my Frankfurt US model, but the pinout is definitely different. On mine, there is a wire jumper behind the socket that will need to be cut. There is no shorting plug, so I will have to make one.

I see the reason the resistor is inserted into the cable. That's so the switched pins can reconnect the internal receiver to the PA. In fact, if you used a smaller resistor, you could put one of them in the blue wire between the switched jack and the DIN. The other resistor will connect to that one in a Y-configuration. When you pull the 3.5mm plug out, there will be a resistor between the pins that are supposed to be shorted. With a resistor around 100 Ohms, they will act just like they are shorted. You won't lose any radio signal. That means that the two resistors will sum at the input of the DIN when the 3.5mm plug is inserted. That way, you can use a standard 3.5mm cable with no mods.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: