Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper washer alternative...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Wiper washer alternative... Reply with quote

I'm not a big fan of the "spare tire" wiper washer system. I know it works I'm just always paranoid of it filling the floorboard with fluid at some point.

So I wanted to convert to an electric pump but wanted to still use the stock wiper arm on the column to control it. Turns out it was pretty easy to do.

What I did was get a momentary switch from Radio Hack (Part # 275-1556), made a bracket to mount the switch in the stock plunger location, used some spring stock I had laying around to mount the bracket and then wire up the pump with a relay using the switch to control the ground to the relay. I also drilled a small dimple in the switch cap to center the "push rod" and give it a positive stop engagement in the cap. I haven't mounted and wired the pump yet but here's some pics of the switch and mount.

EDIT

I finished the install today. Worked out great. I had to shape the mount a little more to slide into the column but that was it.

I used an open relay slot in the fuse block, used a spare spade on #10 on the fuse box, which is for wipers and rear defrost. I ended up with a universal pump from Autozone (part # 9-300) and replaced all the hose, which is 8 ft. I used 5/32 which is a little bigger than the stock stuff. It's a little hard to get it back thru the grommet on the "fire wall" but the stock stuff is all but impossible to get on the 5/32 fittings. Confused i mounted the pump under the washer bottle.

Here's a few more pics of the wiring and pump location.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mxracer on Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:51 am; edited 4 times in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approved Modification #169 Wink Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this! But I fine that I rarely use the washer. And I have a 70 with the separate control knob. I'll need to investigate...
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning something like this for my early Variant...keep the water away from the dash/electrical bits.

Now I know which part to get from RS...thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question, have you installed the switch into the steering column head? Just asking, because the OE part looks like it has a kick in it, where the switch is straight.

Also, you should have put the pump under the water bottle, that way it's self priming (they melt internally without water/fluid).

I used a micro switch on the edge of my dash (already had a small hole there) to run the pump, and I also used a used GM full size van pump (and mounting bracket) for the pump set up, mounted low in the spare tire well (under the washer tank). This has worked great for 11 years, and I get to have a spare tire full of air when I need it. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
One question, have you installed the switch into the steering column head? Just asking, because the OE part looks like it has a kick in it, where the switch is straight.

Also, you should have put the pump under the water bottle, that way it's self priming (they melt internally without water/fluid).

I used a micro switch on the edge of my dash (already had a small hole there) to run the pump, and I also used a used GM full size van pump (and mounting bracket) for the pump set up, mounted low in the spare tire well (under the washer tank). This has worked great for 11 years, and I get to have a spare tire full of air when I need it. Cool

Yep, the switch is mounted in the column. I had to shape the bracket a little for clearance but once it conformed to the switch assembly it slid right in.

The particular pump I bought recommended installing the pump above the washer bottle. It does take a second to prime each use. Does make sense to mount it under the bottle to keep prime though.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mentioned the pump, because I have one similar to that in my 71 Notch. It's mouted under the bottle too. Wink

I had a pump in my old bug that melted the impeller from running dry (to prime the pump). Since then, I just mount them as low as possible.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
mxracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I went down this morning and moved the pump under the bottle. Smile
Angelo Amato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very similar to my mod, works a treat Wink
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of how to do this mod using an early switch. I was thinking of drilling out the back side of the rivet and removing the black inlet/outlet section.

But then I'd need to put a small bolt (4mm) through the entire assembly as it holds it all together. Then I could mount the momentary switch using the two holes already there.

I seem to remember seeing a picture of the pump somewhere, maybe it was someone else.

Thought I'd post it up before I go drilling out my switch. Don't want to ruin it. Sorry for the blurry pics, but they get the idea across. Think it will work?

supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my early switch

I searched and searched all over on TS and couldn't find more then some references, usually from Bobnotch Wink

Anyways, the washer portion of that switch was crap already so I went about completely disassembling it. Warning, the rivets that hold back on are part of the front structure so be careful when you drill them out.

anyways, all I used was a small momentary switch, small piece of aluminum flat stock, and my favorite...JB Weld Wink

The pump is a cheap garbay special from a jetta, I added a small check valve and it has a nice quick squirt time (i just made term up Wink )

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
avesondm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
Here's my early switch

I searched and searched all over on TS and couldn't find more then some references, usually from Bobnotch Wink

Anyways, the washer portion of that switch was crap already so I went about completely disassembling it. Warning, the rivets that hold back on are part of the front structure so be careful when you drill them out.

anyways, all I used was a small momentary switch, small piece of aluminum flat stock, and my favorite...JB Weld Wink

The pump is a cheap garbay special from a jetta, I added a small check valve and it has a nice quick squirt time (i just made term up Wink )

Does the "squirt time" and squirt pressure decrease with age?

Fat chicks need love too and I have more frunk space than you.
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avesondm wrote:
supaninja wrote:
Here's my early switch

They got some pills that you can add to your wiper fluid to fix that Wink

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very similar to my Beetle switch - I didn't have to make a bracket for this switch, and ran the wiring through the stock hoses so you had to look close to notice...Also available at RS and it might mean less work.

'73 Bay
(2) '77's
avesondm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
avesondm wrote:
supaninja wrote:
Here's my early switch

They got some pills that you can add to your wiper fluid to fix that Wink

I've always wondered. Do the pills increase the potency of the washer fluid or increase the voltage of the circuit? Can you only squirt the windshield within four hours of dropping it in the washer bottle?

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You best stop that kind of talk. Thats how 411s & 412s are made Rolling Eyes

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would involve a lot of alcohol Wink

Nick
avesondm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you can get pill repops from Mexico and Canada.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
Here's my early switch

Looks slick. I like it.

Well, when you play around with these cars for 20+ years, you kind of learn how to redo some stuff that will keep working (rather than the usual PO hack). Wink You also learn what works, and what doesn't.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
tikitime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I've been thinking of how to do this mod using an early switch. I was thinking of drilling out the back side of the rivet and removing the black inlet/outlet section.

But then I'd need to put a small bolt (4mm) through the entire assembly as it holds it all together. Then I could mount the momentary switch using the two holes already there.

I seem to remember seeing a picture of the pump somewhere, maybe it was someone else.

Thought I'd post it up before I go drilling out my switch. Don't want to ruin it. Sorry for the blurry pics, but they get the idea across. Think it will work?

Check this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383291&highlight=wiper+switch
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8269014&highlight=#8269014

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382905&highlight=

Streng Deutsch Die Völker Klub
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: