Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wider propane gas copper tube?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: wider propane gas copper tube? Reply with quote

Hi all
Since I have my stove cabinet removed from my van for an interior update, I wanted to ask a question.

I read somewhere someone mentioned that you could make the stove flame stronger by putting a wider diameter copper tube that feeds from the regulator to the stove. I am not sure what the diameter is on the stock one but will it work?

thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: wider propane gas copper tube? Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
Hi all
Since I have my stove cabinet removed from my van for an interior update, I wanted to ask a question.

I read somewhere someone mentioned that you could make the stove flame stronger by putting a wider diameter copper tube that feeds from the regulator to the stove. I am not sure what the diameter is on the stock one but will it work?

thanks

I never read that before. Considering the size of the orafice in the stove, I don't think installing a larger diameter hose between the regulator and the stove would make a noticeable difference. Our stove works fine and boils a pot of water in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe you have something else up?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in where you read(heard) that..

and from my years of experiance (and lack of understanding of fluid/gaseous dynamics) that I don't believe it will work to that effect.

the copper tube is certainly not restricting propane flow to the burners..that size tube is rated for a much bigger BTU flow than the 2 burners can ever dream of consuming.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, the orifice in my 1987 stove is the size of a pin hole, I didn't even see it at first. This can be cleaned once in a while and if you have any yellow in your flame you have a problem, the flame should be blue.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted about the size of flame on my westy before and it s fine. Its just that it take too long to boil a pot of water on the stove compare to a small portable coleman stove or butane stove that I have. I wish I could do something about this stove so the flame is stronger than now...

danfromsyr: "I'd be very interested in where you read(heard) that.."
I went back and tried to search the blog that I read before, I could not find it. But if my memory serves correctly, It was an European westy owner or at least a RV owner.
I ran into his blog while searching for some solution to my stove...
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a related post:

(I searched on "propane stove output")

Westy stove output - any adjustments?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456487

One suggestion on this thread: drill out the orifices with a 1/32" drill bit.

I have NOT done this, just passing on the link.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

climberjohn wrote:
Here is a related post:

(I searched on "propane stove output")

Westy stove output - any adjustments?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456487

One suggestion on this thread: drill out the orifices with a 1/32" drill bit.

I have NOT done this, just passing on the link.

-CJ

Thanks

I already tried that but no change...
that's why i am looking for another solution... Sad
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you personally measure the propane pressure?

The regulators die and from what I have seen the pressure often drops.

Mark
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

I actually have a new regulator...

I found the article that I was referring to. Not from a blog of a westy owner but from here http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html

and from there quoted " Another often asked question is "I have a low pressure regulator but it does not seem to supply enough gas for my appliance." Unfortunately, many of the preset low pressure regulators available in the marketplace use 1/4"ID hose and some are attached to a propane regulator with a 1/4" NPT (normal pipe thread) outlet on the propane regulator. There is a limit to the volume of gas that can be delivered through this small ID hose at a fixed low propane pressure of 6 ounces . What can you do? Use a low pressure regulator with a 3/8"ID gas outlet and a gas hose of 3/8"ID. The amount of propane that can be delivered to the appliance is increased by a factor of 2.26 so the chances of starving your appliance for propane are greatly diminished. GasHosesandRegulators.com sells only 3/8" NPT outlet low pressure gas regulators and 3/8"ID low pressure hoses for this very reason. Our grey hose carries UL , CSA, and American Gas Association approvals and is designed to supply up to about 100,000 btu/hr of propane gas."
Dave.Arthur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you cleaned out the air intake tube for the burners? The hole next to the gas valve at the front of the stove. If this is obstructed, mine was full of dust, it will have an effect on the gas flame and amount of heat generated.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you haven't measured the pressure then?

The 2 stove burners are small enough that they don't even come close to pushing the limits of what the stock delivery pipe can carry. Unless someone kinks the pipe while replacing the regulator of course, as often happens. New regs are longer than the originals so people often bend the pipes to fit and kink the pipe in the process.

Common sense tells us that if the gas was being limited somehow you could see it by lighting just one burner, on full blast. Wait 2 minutes while it burns, then light the other burner on full blast. Did the flame on the first burner diminish when the second burner was lit and burning for a moment? If you think it even might have, wait a couple minutes for both to burn and then turn one off. Does the flame on the other burner increase? If so, there is less gas being provided than is needed and you should investigate. First make sure the tank valve is fully open.

Mark

targis58 wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

I found the article that I was referring to. Not from a blog of a westy owner but from here http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/propaneregulatorfacts.html
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
So you haven't measured the pressure then?

The 2 stove burners are small enough that they don't even come close to pushing the limits of what the stock delivery pipe can carry. Unless someone kinks the pipe while replacing the regulator of course, as often happens. New regs are longer than the originals so people often bend the pipes to fit and kink the pipe in the process.

Common sense tells us that if the gas was being limited somehow you could see it by lighting just one burner, on full blast. Wait 2 minutes while it burns, then light the other burner on full blast. Did the flame on the first burner diminish when the second burner was lit and burning for a moment? If you think it even might have, wait a couple minutes for both to burn and then turn one off. Does the flame on the other burner increase? If so, there is less gas being provided than is needed and you should investigate. First make sure the tank valve is fully open.

Mark

targis58 wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

thanks, i will try that

these are the pics from before, how does it look? It feels weak to me...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how mine looks when it's on "high".

A problem I have is that if I turn it down very much it goes completely out. It just doesn't seem to have a great range of adjustment - is that normal too?
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
That's exactly how mine looks when it's on "high".

A problem I have is that if I turn it down very much it goes completely out. It just doesn't seem to have a great range of adjustment - is that normal too?

Mine adjusts fine
pjrae
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your flame size looks pretty normal.
Maybe do a search for the propex heater threads that have the DIY manometer details?
Its possible that if you increased your regulator pressure (using a pressure gauge) it would affect the flame size.
Works for the heaters, maybe it'd help your stove?
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjrae wrote:
Your flame size looks pretty normal.
Maybe do a search for the propex heater threads that have the DIY manometer details?
Its possible that if you increased your regulator pressure (using a pressure gauge) it would affect the flame size.
Works for the heaters, maybe it'd help your stove?

I will look into that tonite

can someone comment on the quote from my post above?

Quote:" Another often asked question is "I have a low pressure regulator but it does not seem to supply enough gas for my appliance." Unfortunately, many of the preset low pressure regulators available in the marketplace use 1/4"ID hose and some are attached to a propane regulator with a 1/4" NPT (normal pipe thread) outlet on the propane regulator. There is a limit to the volume of gas that can be delivered through this small ID hose at a fixed low propane pressure of 6 ounces . What can you do? Use a low pressure regulator with a 3/8"ID gas outlet and a gas hose of 3/8"ID. The amount of propane that can be delivered to the appliance is increased by a factor of 2.26 so the chances of starving your appliance for propane are greatly diminished. GasHosesandRegulators.com sells only 3/8" NPT outlet low pressure gas regulators and 3/8"ID low pressure hoses for this very reason. Our grey hose carries UL , CSA, and American Gas Association approvals and is designed to supply up to about 100,000 btu/hr of propane gas."
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
these are the pics from before, how does it look? It feels weak to me...

I doubt your hose size is the problem, I think it's plenty big. My flame looks just like yours.

SCM wrote:
It just doesn't seem to have a great range of adjustment - is that normal too?

Are you turning the knob past the "big flame" toward the "small flame"? After lighting the stove on full, turn the knob further CCW to make the flame smaller. While mine is a tad touchy it is reasonable.
gl98115
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like saying that your wbx will run faster if you increase the size of your fuel lines. Sounds good, but not true.

crazyvwvanman is spot on.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: