Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help here quick!!!!!!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobcroke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: I need help here quick!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hey y'all-
My '87 GL full camper is having issues. It would start and run just fine, but then just die outta no where. It seemed it wasn't getting fuel. I had a few buddies help we push start it ( on our way to the Willie Nelson concert.... we were not going to miss it). After the concert, it started and ran awesome. Next day, would stop dying.
I replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, and that day it ran the best it has since I bought it. The next day, wouldn't stay running. Now (Three days later) it won't even start.

Any help/suggestions would be AWESOME

Thanks
Jake
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that it cranks (if not - check battery & starter).

First step on any vehicle which cranks but won't start is to figure out if you are missing fuel or missing spark.

Read up on TheSamba how to check spark. You can pull a plug wire and see if it will spark to a ground or you can use a cheap spark tester.

To check if you're missing fuel you can spray some starter fluid in the air intake and then crank it. If it starts and runs briefly that suggests that everything else is ok & you're not getting any fuel.

Report back and let us know which problem you have and we'll give you next steps.

Cheers,
-Bill
'89 Syncro
jacobcroke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks forge-

I get spark. Fired then stopped after I sprayed the intake.

Next Step?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any history - how long have you been driving it? How old's the fuel pump, the gas?

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a fuel delivery issue maybe, if you sprayed the intake with(I assume starting fluid and not PAM cooking spray) that you need to check fuel pressure me thinks.
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the rush?
You are dealing with a vanagon after all. They are never in a hurry.

I say it's flooded.
Unplug the fuel pump, start it, let it run until it runs out of gas, then plug it back in and see how it runs.
If this works you need a new fuel pump.

Thank you,

David
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera,

I don't agree with that approach. If it's flooded, the fuel pump is working but either the fuel pressure reg or injectors have an issue. Once he got it running on the spray, any and all fuel would have burned out, so it could not remain flooded after that.

History always helps. Its usually about here that you find the van sat for 2 years and this was the first trip, or someone put diesel fuel in it at the gas station accidentally, or the battery was connected backward before the trip, etc. Just trying to help the PO get to the issue as fast as possible and with hundreds of Samba folks poised to help the best thing possible would be information to process.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My next step would be to check fuel pump power. Do you hear the pump make a brief "whir" when you turn the key to the on (but not start) position? If not, it could be that the pump isn't getting power.

Look elsewhere on the Samba (sorry - busy today!) to find the fuel pump relay and how to check/diagnose that.

Cheers,
-Bill
rcook52459
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there's a harbor freight around you they have a fuel pressure tester for $16.99,then download a 20% off coupon.
jacobcroke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. It makes the "whirll" ing sound when the key is turned.

The vans history is pretty unknown to me. I bought it in May, and untill two weeks ago, my partner, son, and myself put 200-300 miles a week on it with no problems. I have no idea if it sat for a while (I am assuming it did) and I know it has the factory fuel tank, fuel pump, and fuel lines. I have replaced belts, alternator, spark plugs, and changed the oil.

That's where I am sitting. I am capable of working on the van, but I have no idea how to diagnose these things

Thanks for the help, and if anyone has a next step for me, I'd appreciate it

Jake
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake,
Do you own a Bentley? If not, you should!
Download the Vanagon '86-'91 Fuel Systems Protraining Manual for detailed information on how to diagnose and test the fuel system.
There is most likely something there that will help you find your problem and correct it.
jacobcroke wrote:
I know it has the factory fuel tank, fuel pump, and fuel lines.

Change the fuel lines NOW! (firewall adapter too) This is not a drill!
Why and how to: -> http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm
Here is Ben's printable .PDF version which is excellent.
One of the popular options... but other options too, do a SEARCH for fuel lines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: