Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sleeping Beauty arrives at her castle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Sleeping Beauty arrives at her castle Reply with quote

Well, the '81 Westy that has been sleeping inside since 1990 has just arrived at her new castle. We will attempt to awaken her in the next few weeks.

My 16 year old daughter is in love with Westfalia's and wants to use it as her surfing ride.

I can't say that this is my best decision, but if you are interested in the tale, read on.

After reading this forum for a few weeks and searching ebay and craigslist I saw an 81 automatic (had to be automatic) listed on ebay that had been in storage for 21 years. As I understand it a Doctor was the 2nd owner and enjoyed the Westy quite a lot, but bought another camper that became his favorite. This one sat for a year or two 'till he decided to park it in one of his buildings. And there it sat.

At one point somebody repainted it, going so far as to remove the doors, rear glass and windshield. It seems that the space where this was parked was needed for a new tenant, and so the Doctor decided to sell it. A fellow in La Jolla bought it and brought it home to his wife, who thought he had lost his mind. He put it on ebay, and the rest is history.

So far I've had it towed to my friend's shop in Sacramento to have the windows reinstalled, and to a tire shop to have new (very expensive) tires put on. Since it doesn't run I rented a U-Haul trailer and brought her home today.

I'm still extremely green at all of this, but I have just placed my 3rd order with Bus Depot, even though I'm all the way out in California. It's true that I don't know any better, but their service has been fantastic, and their website, though very 1990's, is easy to navigate and informative.

If this Westfalia ever saw "Sleeper" then I hope it was taking notes. I'm not so naive to think that it will just start with a new battery, but I am hopeful that after cleaning the tank, replacing all the fuel lines, all brake hoses, wheel and master cylinders that I have a fighting chance of cranking her up. Of course I intend to squirt some oil in the cylinders and turn it over by hand a few spins first.

I am open to suggestions, criticisms, comparisons, and long-winded stories of what's what. Do not worry about hurting my feelings if you have something valuable to add, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading this and wish me luck.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO give us the E bay item number and lets see it .
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say; Good luck, and we're all counting on you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After you get it spun back up, (once it stops smoking Laughing ) do a compression test of the cylinders, that wil give you a good idea of the general health of the engine. The auto trans in these vans are pretty stout, just change the fluid & you should be ready to roll to the beach.
Any signs of mouse in the house? Do a THOROUGH vacuum & bleach cleaning if any mouse habitation is discovered, wear a respirator if you need to do this.

Get some wide-angle stick-on mirrors for the rear views, there's odd blind spots on these that an inexperienced driver won't be conscious of; they tend to cut corners too sharply and bash up the sides of the van in front of the rear wheels.

Use the search button, there's decades of info in here, but if you can't find something, everyone's very helpful, don't hesitate to ask.

ps What tires did you get?

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good reading & closer to the castle...http://gowesty.com/media_library.php

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONGRATS and may you be the Prince who awakens Sleeping Beauty. I'd be doing the fuel lines for sure and take a close look at the radiator. Happy Trails and Surf!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee, '81 is air cooled, no radiator.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your find and hats off to you for doing your homework, prior to deciding on a road trip. Im way out in California too and Bus Depot has been elected as my "go to" vendor for parts. I also find their website to be user friendly.

Besides your mentioned maintenance plan, have your mechanic change out the old brake fluid; might as well change out the transmission fluid as well. Im lucky enough to have a mechanic who is Vanagon savy so if I could offer up another suggestion; find a mechanic who is very familure with the Vanagon "quirks".

I have an 82 Westy and thanks to The Samba, I learned years ago just how important it is to have all the engine tin in place. Having an intact engine to body seal is an absolute must. The tin and seal are critical as they keep the heat outa' the engine compartment...heat is a real killer to an aircooled motor.

You didnt mention the holy grail of manuals otherwise known as The Bentley. You want the 1980-1984 edition. The Haynes manual is a bit easier on the brain whereas the Bentley; being the factory manual, takes some gettin' used to.

Considering were both driving an older Van, you should take into consideration the availibility of Fuel Injection parts. Some are a tad scarce, so ponder the idea of getting a few for your onboard tool box (the glove compartment)

Welcome aboard, its nice to meet another owner of an air-cooled Vanagon.
Safe and happy motoring to ya Very Happy
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like I'm in good company!

The tires are Yokohama's chosen more for the fellow who sold them than anything else. I called a few tire dealers (armed with TheSamba knowledge) and 3 out of 4 were clueless. This fellow, Jim, at America's Tire, knew the Westy, how heavy it is, and the proper tires for her. He carried Yokohama's, so he ordered up a set.

The ebay item number was 250887072592, though she looks much better in pictures right now...
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a pretty decent van to start with. That upholstery hurts my eyes!

So is the tent ripped? It didn't look to healthy in that photo
vela123321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also don't forget

http://www.van-cafe.com/

Peter has been a big help to me... I've also had good luck with GoWesty.

1987 Westfalia Vanagon 2.1 automatic
2014 VW TDi Jetta Sportwagen (Dieselgate)
2016 BMW 328i

1967 Bug... given to a friend
others not VW... Toyota, Audi, Volvo, Datsun, International Harvester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed sorry about that! Usually I'm tuned into that fact. d'oh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she is a sleeping beauty! Is your lucky daughter on board to help? congratulations, and best of luck!
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van-cafe.com is right here in Santa Cruz (I'm in Fremont) so that's very helpful, but I think they specialize in water cooled, and ours is air cooled. Still, I'd wager that they know more about our Vanagon than 99% of the population

vela123321 wrote:
also don't forget

http://www.van-cafe.com/

Peter has been a big help to me... I've also had good luck with GoWesty.

HBSURFDAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats. My 16 year old kid grabbed my Westy for her surf van! We have gone through all the stuff togeather in the last three years, and am now down to some paint work and new seat covers then done (ha ha, I know how stupid that sounds)! Now every morning I hear her driving off to surf team practice and am a bit jealous of our/her ride.

Enjoy the time, the westy is a great spot to hang between sessions.

HBSURFDAD
87 Wolfsberg Westy Weekender (automatic)
Rolling on 16's
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on. I will not comment on the surfer chick and camper thing, but will about tires:

Look around. Many of us run Hankook RA08s. You can get the van shoed for like around $500ish give or take. Those are the right tires for it.

Tires are a religious subject around here.

Also, air cooled campers require some piloting skills as that wheezer 68 hp engine has to push mighty hard to move that Westy around. Toss in the automatic and it is just that much more stress. You are warned.

Now go have fun!

-Walt (The Moderator)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
crazybaja1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: 81 westy Reply with quote

Good luck!!!
It'll worth it
WVVWFERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: westy Reply with quote

take a look at autohausaz.com ; good prices , good service and FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $50 (AREN'T THEY ALL OVER $50???). FLAPS , like "Advance") have a surprizing array of Vanagon parts available, can have them in a day or 2, no shipping costs (and my local store e gives me the same discount as on-line orders; today it's 20%).Another source for some not-common parts is Ken at van-again.com)
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's definitely an Aircooled engine, but what's behind the lower grill?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone put a front clip on it and didn't realize that it was different until they were done.
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great deal - I paid more for my very rough looking 82 diesel. also on eBay.

the only thing that makes me wondering if this story is really true is the peeling wallpaper. If it really was stored 20 years+ in a warehouse, why did the wallpaper came off? I thought you needed heat for that Wink Did you check the VIN on the van?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: