Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil breather hose
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Oil breather hose Reply with quote

Is there a source for this hose? I know the original is molded and NLA. I'm talking about the hose coming from the oil breather going into the S boot. It's labled 'H' on Ratwell's vacuum hose diagram page.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Right now I have a piece of radiator hose cut to fit. It works, I just don't like the look of it in the engine compartment when I've got new correct diameter braided hoses everywhere else.

I ordered the molded oil breather hose from Bus Depot, which is a Just Kampers reproduction. It's way too short and there's no hope of it ever reaching, when I look up the part directly on their site it states it's for a 1600, so I assume it's meant for an upright engine and not a type 4.

German Supply offers braided 21mm vacuum hose which would be the correct diameter, but it's been out of stock forever.

Is there a source out there that I missed? Or just get lucky and get a good used one somewhere?

Also, if anyone thinks they can use the Just Kampers molded hose, let me know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh crap;. I have the same repop from busdepot. Not gonna fit, bummed now. I spoke with Scott at German Supply and there is no real hope for him getting anymore of the hose. Although the more peeps that call him about it might get him to get on the search again. I been having a real hard time finding the oval cooling tin rubber seal on right side for heater tube and he told me to call Ventura and I got the Owner on the phone and convinced him to reproduce the part. I never can hurt to ask. If you find a good source let us know. Very Happy
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott has a source but he has to buy a very large amount before he can get it. So he does not want to dish out large cash unless he can sell it.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
I been having a real hard time finding the oval cooling tin rubber seal on right side for heater tube and he told me to call Ventura and I got the Owner on the phone and convinced him to reproduce the part. I never can hurt to ask. If you find a good source let us know. Very Happy

I need that oval rubber also. Who is reproducing them.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1975 Kombi wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:
I been having a real hard time finding the oval cooling tin rubber seal on right side for heater tube and he told me to call Ventura and I got the Owner on the phone and convinced him to reproduce the part. I never can hurt to ask. If you find a good source let us know. Very Happy

I need that oval rubber also. Who is reproducing them.

no one yet, you can get a use, very used one at bustedbus.com tell Chris Curtis4085 sent you. Now for a new one we will have to wait. By the new year Ventura Should have them. Keep your eye out, I will post when they are available. I also need the Oil breather hose, kinda bummed the one from busdepot doesnt fit
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to just use PCV hose from your FLAPS, or maybe some silicone heater hose.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You should be able to just use PCV hose from your FLAPS, or maybe some silicone heater hose.

yes maybe you could but I think he wants something that looks OG. Not just any ole tube. Rolling Eyes
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

yes maybe you could but I think he wants something that looks OG. Not just any ole tube. Rolling Eyes

That's not my problem, I have no desire to see any braided hose on any of my rigs. I just want parts that work well, last long, and don't cost an excessive amount.
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used some heater hose too. I thought about putting in a 45 degree coupler so it has an easier bend, but so far it's held up just fine.

No better solution until there's a supplier to distribute it. Crying or Very sad

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

That's not my problem, I have no desire to see any braided hose on any of my rigs. I just want parts that work well, last long, and don't cost an excessive amount.

I feel you. Some just like OG even if it not as good as whats available now. Wink
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will 22mm cloth braided work? I think I found a source.
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I used - Gates #19833

from this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2232283&highlight=#2232283

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dwill49965 wrote:
Here's what I used - Gates #19833

from this thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2232283&highlight=#2232283

That hose is still available but it is $55 here. So I am thinking about buying it or not.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
--
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

Thank you, that's what I have now I was just looking for a source for the original braided hose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
will 22mm cloth braided work? I think I found a source.

That should, according to Ratwell the inner diameter is 22mm.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is not original but we used 7/8" thick walled smooth vacuum hose from NAPA. It doesn't collapse under the vacuum or get soft from the blowby like heater hose and it bends too.

22mm is .866 inches. 7/8" is .875 which is only .009 inch off in size so it works well.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elephant Racing in Santa Clara CA. 408-297-2789 has what appears to be the correct hose for this application for 10 dollars a foot.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoody wrote:
Elephant Racing in Santa Clara CA. 408-297-2789 has what appears to be the correct hose for this application for 10 dollars a foot.

could not find anything on elephants website. Stone age surfing there. but here is what i came up with. Let me know what you think as I need some. Maybe we could split the bill.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6907
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$48.30 per meter? Use the NAPA 7/8 breather hose for a couple of bucks.

russwiththebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Hoody wrote:

could not find anything on elephants website. Stone age surfing there. but here is what i came up with. Let me know what you think as I need some. Maybe we could split the bill.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6907

Yikes. You could get *almost* enough to do 3 engines in a meter. That's pretty steep.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: