Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Doors won't latch
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfgut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Doors won't latch Reply with quote

I just purchased a 73 Thing. The body is in excellent shape, except for the fact that the right rear door, the right passenger door and the front hood won't latch. Can anyone shine some light for me?

Also, I'm looking to download a manual for it. Does anyone have one in electronic format. I've tried the only Internet link but the site is down.
thanks in advance.
Halfgut
Buckly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood is adjustable. You can screw in, or screw out the post with the spring around it to adjust it. When I first got my Thing I had to WD-40 all the door mechanisms. They all were really hard to open or they wouldn't latch shut.
vwozzie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had same problem with my 74 doors. Amazing how much GUNK gather in the latch after 30 years.

All I did was remove the latches and cleaned them up REAL good at the parts washer, used a good white lithium grease on them and reinstalled.

The doors shut with no problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove the door latches and clean and oil them as well, but I only sprayed pb blaster on the hood latch mechanism. Inspect the cable housing closely for the hood to make sure it is completely intact before adjusting the hood to close. If the housing is broken especially at the latch it may not open when you want it to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: