Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Things,couple ???s...engine tin,oilpumps,rebuild kits
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrick,

there is a good size swap at the ypsilanti show.

http://www.mvvc.net/

full flow is a good idea, for sure. i like keeping the stock appearance, maybe i am stupid that way, but full flow and a fliter is definitely better for the engine.

i don't know about doing the guides yourself. you need a few special tools. first of all, a mandrel or puller to remove the old guide. a different mandrel to install the guide. a big press. a setup plate to hold the head in the press at the right angle. a reamer to size the guide. by the time you have these tools, the machnist has already done it for you. i hear on on the diy thing, i am the same way, but i leave that to my machine shop. if you have the tools, it is fairly easy, though.
87BOSS351C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I figured as much on the guides. The reamer would be the hold-up for me and I know those aren't cheap. Plus, I figure it doesn't need to be a VW specific machine shop just to do the rods and valve guides. I just had an iffy experiance with the machine shop I used for my mustang engine and would like to avoid similar experiances.

I thought for the full flow, the left hand (2nd) airfilter mount would be a great place to put the filter mount. I'll probably try to find a universal mount that will use a Motorcraft FL1A filter as I use those on both the Torino and Mustang with very good results.

patrick

'87 t-top Mustang LX
450 hp 351 Cleveland

1972 Ford Gran Torino
Stock Restoration 1997

1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport Hardtop
Waiting for frame off resto-mod
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be best to mount it below the engine tin as the filter does radiate heat. Probably wouldn't be a problem until a long hill at highway speed , but why take the risk?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: