Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig conversion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
wiartonallan wrote:
First, Bostig owner. 265,000km.

You have 265,000km on a Bostig Conversion?

I highly doubt it. I put around 30k miles on my setup though.
VanaruEngine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is a comparable kit and support for subaru conversions. Not advertised yet, but available on request. Starting at $4800 for late-model drive-by-wire engines, complete with harness processing and exhaust.
-Hans
Vanaru Engine Systems

jimeg wrote:
Does no one else have a comparable kit and support for a Suby conversion?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmwloco wrote:
I looked at the speedo as we were coming to a rolling stop after all forward movement ceased on the original engine on our 1984 1.9 Vanagon Westy...

Not bad...

We (the wife and I) are deciding what to do. We need to store it well, save some $, then go Bostig.
I would do a Tencentlife motor over a Bostig in a heartbeat Wink
I drove one. It is a WBX. It is the shiznitttttt!

YAECT Rolling Eyes

I will say that I have much respect for the Bostig boys and I have even considered one before,but, just cannot get past the FORD thing in a VW.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my 2c on this topic.

I never felt like I needed an engine conversion when I lived at sea level (Seattle). But moving to Colorado changed that. The 2.5 was a nice upgrade from the 118 hp JDM 2.0 subie the van came with. I think the 2.5 is just the right amount of power for a vanagon. Good gas mileage, good acceleration with stock gearing, and you won't break the transmission with 165hp.

I think a van with a conversion engine should sell for quite a bit more than an original engine. And I think it usually does. They cost 7500-10000 these days for a turn key conversion. Only reason people don't get all their money back is newbies are looking for inexpensive vans and don't understand the value and pleasure of an engine upgrade. And repeat vanagon owners are aware of the difference, but are usually able to find good deals, so they won't pay top dollar.

My subie 2.0 and 2.5 were a little noisy, sounded like intake noise especially around 4K-4500. It was fixed after a couple changes. 1. Hooked up the snorkle up the rear pillar. 2. Switched to an Earnst 1.9 muffler with no noticable hit to performance. A longer and more curved exhaust tip made a difference too, but I can't recall if that was part of my final muffler selection. And 3. There was some metal on metal contact with the heat shield or muffler or something that sounded like intake noise but wasn't.

Now that I have had a subaru engine, it is killing me not to have one in my current van. Cost-wise I should have bought a van that was already converted.
-Rogue5-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused as to why exactly the conversion kits (bostig or otherwise) cost so much. I mean, how is the engine (subie or ztec) so much cheaper than the actual kit? Isn't the kit just a few pieces of fabbed adapters, mounts, and a pre-wired harness to plug into the ECU? Seriously though, I bet in 20-30 years, everyone will be on here talking about how unreliable, expensive, and hard-to-find the ztecs and ej22s/25s have become.

Personally, I just want something I can set and forget, is essentially plug-n-play, and that only costs $2500 ($500 of which is for a junkyard engine with 50-100k on it)... There are no conversions like that, are there?
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Another view Reply with quote

In the UK - especially in the Far North of Scotland - I wouldn't risk putting anything other than a stock Wasser in.
No doubt like some more remote areas in the US - we have limited number of small garages within 100 miles with the knowldge to keep even a Wasser going (we are fortunate to have one just a mile down the road from me though Very Happy )

The quest for more power has never really attracted - and we have a 78HP 1.9 (stock) verison - running on LPG(Propane) - would love to rolling road it (out of interest) as my guess i near 55-60HP 20 years on. We still get around at acceptable speed (cruise at 50-55mph) without a queue behind - if we attract one - we just pull over......but rarely have to.

When the last engine sufferred from Jacket Seal failure - I didn't hesitate to buy a low mileage VW recon taken from a scrapper (£500 - $750) and replace what we had. No unique components required - many direct from VW dealer - others from the various UK suppliers iftted and 30k miles down the road - can be fixed if required down the road - or simple stuff myself - and runs on LPG at just over half the cost of Petrol.

Both a Suby and Bostig (we do have the former - but not the latter over here) would leave us on the side of the road - then recovered back to home and left to sort out ourselves (I am NOT too mechanically savvy - and have plenty other priorities before getting the van working).
Also we would be back at 20mpg - not the equivalent of 35mpg (tax is much lower on LPG).

All that said - to contradict myself a little:
- if I could do a Bostig over here
- had the money to put in the fuel
- could be confident of keeping it going myself (with support)
- had a van with less rust
- I would!

- I think what the guys there have done with the kit AND support is amazing.....and I like reading all these conversion threads - they are just beyond me and my situation......keep them coming.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i looked on the bostig site after reading though this, the cost of the kit, does that include the motor ??
there's doesn't seem a lot here for $4830, i hope i have read it wrongly

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if i have apologies

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
i looked on the bostig site after reading though this, the cost of the kit, does that include the motor ??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

if i have apologies

Might not seem alot, but think of the engineering time involved in producing a failproof kit for any backyard wrench to install a motor designed for a completely different automobile.

Sure, with a lathe and Bridgeport I could reproduce a bunch of this stuff, but the time invested would make this kit a bargain.

Then there is a support if you have an issue . . .
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, you've got to be kidding me Mad If any of you would like to go ahead and create a kit like this for a couple grand cheaper.....please do so. If not, there is no reason to even question the expense of this kit.

It would be a great time now to hear how much others have spent on their conversions (be honest.) And maybe some of the business owners can chime in explaining the costs of running a business in this country. It's not like the Bostig guys are making these kits in their parents basement with a jigsaw, dremel and solder iron. Laughing

Dude, where's your van?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIRD84WESTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Bostig Reply with quote

Ditto- I have nothing but positive things to say about my conversion. Not having tackled any major mechanic work prior to my Bostig swap, I was depending on a completely thought out and documented step by step procedure with all parts, or a list of part numbers needed. Bostig has that, and answers and supports each owner along the install process, and after. That's why I am happily driving my Zetec engine-converted van wherever, whenever I want.
mtnwater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
if i have apologies

Given your location, you should take the time visit Jim and Brady. They're nice guys and I'm sure they'd be happy to chat with you about your opinion of their kit, and you can share with them your vast vanagon conversion experience.

As a customer, I can tell you that the bostig conversion kit is very fairly priced. I've yet to see anything else on the market that comes close to providing a true and complete conversion kit. Every nut, bolt, washer, screw, and zip tie has been accounted for, and the instructions are so complete any shade tree mechanic can pull it off.
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait till my westy is powered by a turbo Bostig.
Zetec get in my in my trunk!!!!
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone questioning the cost of these kits.
Take a look at what quality machine shop time costs, and how many of the parts are nicely made by professional machinists, not just a guy with a drill press and a saw.

As someone who operates a machine shop and solicits quotes for a living, I can tell you where the majority of the money is. There is easily $2k worth of machining in the kit.
Add in a signifigant amount of time build the NEW harness and package and source hardware etc. Not a lot of margain on these. Don't forget, others charge $500-1000 to modify your used harness.

As an excercise, I challenge you to create a test part. Draw up that engine adapter plate and send it out to a couple local shops for quote. Remember, you only get to buy 10 at a time.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Destructo wrote:
C'mon, you've got to be kidding me Mad Laughing

Couldn't agree more with Destructo (Bostig owner)

Anyone making a statement about price of the Bostig kit has NO idea of the extent that Jim and the Boys have gone to create this kit and all of the goodies that now go along with with.

Brand new crate engines are still available for around $1000 shipped.

The Bostig fellas have lived and worked out of the shop for years to keep costs down....what do you want them to do....lower the price and move to a cardboard box Question

C'mon...they gotta eat Exclamation
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my question was not meant as a dig a the quality of their kit, nor was it mean't to offend

i've been looking into subaru conversions using an RJES bell housing, that for now is out of my budget, so when i see a conversion at $4k i need to take a second look

again no offence meant

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber chicken I know what you meant. What you get with the kit is a brand new harness for the engine,ecu,fuel pump and starter. The custom all new harness alone is 600-700 of the price. You get an cnc adapter plate,new flywheel,a serious engine cradle that just the engineering alone on just this one part is incredible. A machined intake adapter and thermostat housing that are not only functional but add some bling to the engine compartment.
I am just touching on some of the major componets but it's really a well designed kit. Did you get a chance to see my Westy with the Zetec turbo at transporter Fest? If I get back up your way you are more than welcome to take it out for a spin. She gets a little squirrely at 100mph though Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
my question was not meant as a dig a the quality of their kit, nor was it mean't to offend

i've been looking into subaru conversions using an RJES bell housing, that for now is out of my budget, so when i see a conversion at $4k i need to take a second look

again no offence meant

Your other post indicated that you didn't think the contents of the kit warranted the money. The picture is a bit deceiving. It's a very big picture shrunk down. The engine adapter in the middle, is approx 24" long.
The entire kit is 12 boxes and weighs 150#. Hence the pricey shipping charges.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:
She gets a little squirrely at 100mph though Shocked

Thats why I am doing urethane bushings first. Very Happy

Turbo peaks my interest though. Seen that average Focus turbo kits put HP in 200 to 230 range at 10 psi boost. I like that. . . alot.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: New Zetec crate engines? Reply with quote

Insynco: I've been looking for a new crate engine & haven't had any luck. Do you have a line on one? Thanks
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have been avalable straight from Ford Racing,
Ebay and internet group buys.
I paid $800 each shipped direct from Ford about 18 months ago.
Hard to believe they have dried up, but possible, I guess.
Call Bostig, they will know where to find new stock.
We are talking about the most produced motor ever.
They are out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: