Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TheRealMacGyvers 1977 Restore On A Budget Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: TheRealMacGyvers 1977 Restore On A Budget Thread Reply with quote

I officially started restoring yesterday (instead of disassembling and removing rot) so I figured I should start my own restore thread to document my progress. I bought a '77 and a '79 Bay Window for $600. from my brother and that's where my nightmare began! The '79 now has a Florida title and will have to wait until the '77 is complete before it get's my attention. It will also serve as a model for reassembly.

So, my plan is to weld as much new metal as possible without breaking the bank and do the best I can with everything else. I am working under a tarp-carport on a concrete pad in my backyard, so my working conditions are not ideal. But this is what I have to work with.

I have to thank Grandpa Pete for stopping over and really kick starting the process and giving me some direction.

I started on the passenger side front floor area and a small spot of rot on the rear of the wheel well that poked through into the lower side cargo door track. I am wire wheeling rust, then phospho, then welding metal in from the backside (when possible), and then grind, primer, paint (both with rattle can), filler will be added over primer when needed.

So here are some pics of my weekend work, keep in mind I am a total newbie with welding, so my welds are a bit rough.

This is how the area I worked on looked when I brought it home:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then after some clean-up:

I know this looks rough, but no one will see it:

Here is a hole on the backside of the wheel well:

Cut a patch:

Clamp it in:

Weld it in:

I know someone will freak out on me (I don't care btw) but I am using liquid nail as a seam sealer where you won't see. This is what it looked like in the end.

And the section done (for now)

I also sand blasted the lower side door track and phospho'd for tomorrow:

The dogleg weld/repair here needs a little more grinding, but this is better than a hole

So, that's about 10 hours of work, just getting started.
Klaussinator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're off & running . . . I'll follow this thread. Thanks!

-Klauss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe someone would do all of that work and then use liquid nails as seam sealer. Come on man. Seam sealer isn't expensive. Don't destroy all of the good work you've done with shitty products at the end.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Westfabulous
Samba Member

Location: The tropic of Canada, dodging the giant flying moose of Surrey!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
I can't believe someone would do all of that work and then use liquid nails as seam sealer. Come on man. Seam sealer isn't expensive. Don't destroy all of the good work you've done with shitty products at the end.

Ya, for once I have to agree with VDT. Seems a waste, and you are putting in a lot of effort. Make it count. If you can't get a perfect bead to cover your seam, buy a small, stiff artists brush and then feather the bead. Some seam sealers are more rubbery than others, and they can offer flexibility that Tough as Nails can't.

"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Last edited by Westfabulous on Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuLX3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:

Agreed. Seam Sealer, 12 oz; Gray only $13 bucks at Napa.

Other than that, nice work going with welding metal instead of just slapping bondo over the missing metal. Lets see some pictures of the complete bus!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember...how do you eat an elephant or fix a bus........one peice at a time..glad to help....... keep us posted...and smooth off the "seam sealer" before it dries..................anyone in savannah need help/?.....I'll be there for a week

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. it's not so bad. I hope you removed the old metal in that patch section in the wheel well though.

What kind of welder are you using? It just strikes me as a little odd that you are just tacking the metal in place instead of seam welding it.
To be honest I'm hopeless with a MIG, but I get the job done eventually.
Can't speak for you but I'm not on a steak and champagne budget for what I'm doing. It's closer to roadkill and swamp water but where there's a will there's a way so keep going, think things through before you do them and you should be fine.
Busdriver79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: body repair Reply with quote

@ McGyver:.....don't worry about what all the critics say about how you repair your own vehicle.....remember:...you have to please NOBODY but yourself....it's great that you are doing things yourself and your own way....someone will always criticize another's work and efforts....just keep up the good work and to hell with the critics !!!....i'm always asked when am i going to paint my vehicle...i always tell them that when the vehicle's title is in their hands (for the right price,of course), then they will be free to paint it themselves whatever color they want !!!
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: body repair Reply with quote

mschiffel wrote:
@ McGyver:.....don't worry about what all the critics say about how you repair your own vehicle.....remember:...you have to please NOBODY but yourself....it's great that you are doing things yourself and your own way....someone will always criticize another's work and efforts....just keep up the good work and to hell with the critics !!!....i'm always asked when am i going to paint my vehicle...i always tell them that when the vehicle's title is in their hands (for the right price,of course), then they will be free to paint it themselves whatever color they want !!!

Nonsense. I didn't see a word of criticism in any of the above posts. What I saw was constructive feedback. You are right, he has only to please himself; hopefully he will continue to be pleased when his work begins to fail after it's first winter. If a person doesn't want honest feedback, or criticism as you call it, they shouldn't hang there ass out in a public forum for the world to see.

Realmcgyver: I hope your resto goes well, and you need to believe that people here want to help, seeing as you are putting in so much effort.

Last edited by Westfabulous on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way. Do it the best you can now, or do it twice. When I think of things that way, especially things that suck real bad, it always makes me want to pay a little more for a better part or go the extra step. I hate having to do anything over.

Looks good.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the liquid nail is better than the original stuff they used in '77. The factory job isn't exactly pretty either. We aren't talking about something you will ever see. I will see about buying a tube anyhow, but I have a case of liquid nail just waiting to be used. Remember all I'm trying to do is keep water from getting in between the metal around the welds. Thanks though. Hopefully I'll update by the weekend.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Liquid Nails holds the rust particles together Smile You first have to have a bus to seal the seams.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a polyurethane construction cement for not too much more than the cost of plain Jane Liquid Nails. It bond tenaciously and should last a good long time.
barefootwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I used for the seam sealer and it wasn't that expensive –maybe around $15.00. Def. worth the extra $10.00:

http://3mcollision.com/3m-fast-n-firm-seam-sealer-08505.html

1973 Westfalia
"Getting better....one repair at a time."

Other VW's owned through the years, in no particular order:
'67 Beetle,
'67 Ghia Hardtop,
'72 Ghia Convertible,
'72 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rodmullet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like seeing alternative/cheap/different methods concerning any type of bus project...not everybody has the cash, time or proper facilities to do everything the "right" way...I would actually like to see more of this type of thing, with follow up to how successful a method is...so please keep us updated.

Rod
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm the one who told him to use the liquid nails....I got my first restoration trophy in 1982.... the stuff works fine and will last as long as the bus...lets move on.....positive feedback anyone????......encouragement anyone?????...................stuck in hotel in savannah/anyone know the savannah vw sceene?pm me with any info please Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
TheRealMacGyver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha. Yep I painted over it today and I dare anyone to notice it! Now if I could figure out how to get it off my fingers! (joking; I used gloves!)
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodmullet wrote:
I personally like seeing alternative/cheap/different methods concerning any type of bus project...not everybody has the cash, time or proper facilities to do everything the "right" way...I would actually like to see more of this type of thing, with follow up to how successful a method is...so please keep us updated.

Rod

ok. here is some 'alternative' repairs that turned this 69 into a parts bus

who needs a window seal when you have caulk?

rocker panels? pfft. i have rubber roofing membrane. and some wood. yes, wood and some sort of construction adhesive

not ripping on the o/p but who the hell in their right mind would do such a half assed repair? the same people that bitch about the cost of a soild bus usually. or, the people that want way to much for their 'repaired' bus and wonder why it's in the piss and moan thread. here is a nice shot of 'alternative repair' getting ready for the crusher

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Westfabulous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Rodmullet wrote:

Rod

ok. here is some 'alternative' repairs that turned this 69 into a parts bus

who needs a window seal when you have caulk?

rocker panels? pfft. i have rubber roofing membrane. and some wood. yes, wood and some sort of construction adhesive

not ripping on the o/p but who the hell in their right mind would do such a half assed repair? the same people that bitch about the cost of a soild bus usually. or, the people that want way to much for their 'repaired' bus and wonder why it's in the piss and moan thread. here is a nice shot of 'alternative repair' getting ready for the crusher

Yup. Looking good, and lasting good are not necessarily the same thing. The auto industry uses what they use because they know a thing or two about their business. "Fuel injection? Rip it out and put in some carbs. Damn Germans, over engineering everything."

RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus, what is that funny round black thing attached to the inside front of the oxide Avenger with a bit of gal iron?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: