Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Break in procedure with used cam
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Break in procedure with used cam Reply with quote

Just about done with a stock-ish 1600 DP, and I'm familiar with break-in procedures with new cams, but what about when using the same cam and lifters? Lifters are in the same bores they came out of.

I'm assuming the revs need to be brought up to get everything oiled, but not for 20 minutes since the lifters already 'know' their cam lobe... 5 minutes maybe? Engine will be fired up with zinc additive, and lifters and lobes are lubed with molly assembly lube on the face, regular oil in the bores.

Paul
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I torn my 2275 apart once since i built it i put tthe lifters back in the same spot wihtout issues.I had some cam lube left over so i coated the cam and lifters with it.Motor is aprt right now too getting new bearings.

My old motors was a 1176 that i built using a 110 cam year later i built a 1914 using the same cam and lifters again same holes no problems.

If i were to lose track of where lifters went then i would atleast get the bottoms resurfaced or whatever its called and treat is a new cam.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you sanded them or something, the 5 min should be ok.I went brain dead and for got the lifter holding springs when I split my 2332 to get the cam&lifter out to go into my 2028.so atleast 4 are on the correct lobes.and that was a few years ago, and 2 months ago when I split the 2028 the lifters were still the best looking used lifters I had ever seen. and there back in there for round#3.
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea just a high idle for a couple minutes to oil it all down, and your good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool beans. Thanks everyone!

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: