Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

no lights, power windows, wipers, fan
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: no lights, power windows, wipers, fan Reply with quote

okay, so i got my zetec in, not it's time to fix my dumb electrical problem.

the history of my problems started with the left low beam blowing out then the right following shortly thereafter. at this point i knew the switch was toast since the high beams would work if i flashed them.

i got the high powered lights and SA grill from go westy, and a new switch. installed per instructions and within a few days the low relay blew out. in my parking lot attempt with no tools i managed to blow out the high relay when using it as the low relay, and drove 15 miles in a twisty mountain road with my hazards lighting the way.

while was futzing with that in the parking lot my windows and wipers also stopped working. now i've replaced all relays and pulled/replaced all fuses and i still get nothing for lights, windows, wipers, fan my plan is to get the wiper,windows, fan working then completely rewire the the lights to hopefully solve any short that was happening with that.

i know this isn't much info, but i'm going to post more as i go. i suspect something is wrong with the power that goes to all these systems. i'm still trying to rewire my head to fully grasp the Bentley wiring diagram.

my question to you guys is does anyone know what that 70amp relay is, that is above the relay panel, like to the upper left? i tried to find another one at the junkyard, and i've tried to find it in the green bible, but alas i've had no luck.

any other advice is appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to my public folder and download the file "Vanagon Wiring Diagram.pdf"

The last page has all the schematic for the relays and ECU.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...mp;lang=en
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the ground lug in the front is loose. It is located above and left of the fuse panel and a screw holds it to the body. Relay ground is there too for main power relay. Mine was corroded and all lights went out when I tried to go on high beams. Must have been bad on a twisty road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogpilot wrote:
Go to my public folder and download the file "Vanagon Wiring Diagram.pdf"

The last page has all the schematic for the relays and ECU.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...mp;lang=en

the link was cut short, but i found it by browsing your .mac site. thanks for the diagram, what is that from? a hanes?

vwmaniaman, i will double check the ground lugs, but they seemed solid to me.

thanks all, hopefully i'll get my stupid subi loyale clutch in without much suffering so i can work on my van today Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: no start, no lights, , wipers, fan smoke from steering colum Reply with quote

bit of history in the last few weeks the wiper & heater blower fan would randomly stop
yesterday in parking lot there was no start..

I wait 10 mins then it starts , then there is some smoke coming from the top of the steering column
very little then it stops ..
now no lights no fan no wipers

so I get home figure that job to clean the ground on the 2 star plugs behind the dash has come..
I get that all cleaned up no smoke but still no lights, wiper or fan BUT

If i pull back on the dip switch(the turn signal stalk) I get hi beam, the wipers start & the fan blows..

So before i belly up to pull the steering column
I assume i must have some type of short on the wires under the steering column(hence the smoke)

Is there any parts(beside the ignition switch) that might be baked here that I would have to order that might need to be replaced since it still drives & dont want to put it all back together then wait I'd rather order parts then & wait for em or anything else to check ?
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Complete Column Assembly [Vanagon] Reply with quote

So this was interesting I read( http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3784&category_id=304 ) that the high beam switch is actually on the wiper stalk & the activator on the turn signal so I figure smoke from the steering column prolly means hi beam light switch so I figured i might as well replace the wiper stalk since if it did not the cause the smoke it will go in the next 5 years (since its serviced the 20amp head light circuit for 20 yrs +)
so those are 70 & the ignition switch is $10, and the lock cylinder is $15 ... ~ 100 & still not replaced the turn signal, collar or bearings etc
but then I see this GW exclusive

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=23379&category_id=304&category_parent_id=

& I'll do the head lamp relay & the KAE variable speed relay at the same time

SO this is just a heads up for anyone else wanting to keep their westy for the long term & you have to pull the steering assembly for
$149 you get factory New old German stock from where ever GW dug these up
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: No Fan, no Wipers, no headlights Reply with quote

So I am kinda stumped now

previously cleaned the 2 star grounds

Now I replaced the wiper stalk that includes the headlight switch & the turn signal stalk
i have the same symptoms

no wipers. no fan & no headlights BUT if i pull back on the
turn signal stalk the hi beams work && wipers

anyone seen this b4 ?
any electrical types that might suggest where i go to track this down

Last edited by tclark on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumb question, but: Did you check the fuses?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Dumb question, but: Did you check the fuses?

yah when I pull back on the hi beam stalk
2 times first time I hear a relay click the pull back again
&& I yank the hi beam fuses then i get no hi-beam so the fuse MUST be good

It just feels like a common ground issue but I am unaware of any ground these devices share except the 2 star grounds & these are clean
and if I pull either of the 2 head light grounds then I dont get any hi beam when i pull back on the turn signal stalk so those head light grounds must be good

no I think its some common link between the head light circuit, the fan & the wipers
but only when I DONT pull on the turn signal talk to trigger hi beams

Last edited by tclark on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you replace the ignition switch? in the end that was my prob...mostly. i had also wired a relay wrong for the SA high power lights.

way to dig up an old thread...i thought that title look familiar Smile
tclark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwlovr wrote:
did you replace the ignition switch? in the end that was my prob...mostly

hmm so these are all connected to the ignition switch even if it starts fine & exhibits no other odd symptoms ?

to ans my own question YUP its that fcking switch..
and that smoke a few weeks ago that i could see from around the head light switch MUST of been the ignition switch toasting selfish

oh well I should I should of just slipped in the whole collar with the switch i bought oh well spares for 5 - 10 years out

Last edited by tclark on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:
vwlovr wrote:
did you replace the ignition switch? in the end that was my prob...mostly

hmm so these are all connected to the ignition switch even if it starts fine & exhibits no other odd symptoms ?

yup, ignition switch turns on accessory feed, the black/yellow wire. it's like a $10 part. i'd bet that's it.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tclark wrote:

no I think its some common link between the head light circuit, the fan & the wipers
but only when I DONT pull on the turn signal talk to trigger hi beams

iirc that is because the high beams feed off an always on circuit, instead of the accessory ignition/ON circuit. so when you're holding the stalk to trigger the high beams you back feeding the accessory line with power, causing the other stuff to work.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for ignition switch. Classic, classic, classic symptoms for this common, common, common problem.

Buy two. They're cheap and they're all chinese these days; give the spare a long ride
in the glove box - if you're lucky you might not need it in a month or two.

Happy Trails!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jeremy B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignition switch?
I had the same experience last year on a road trip in the Southwest- slightly different sequence of failures, but essentially the same; windows, high beams, fan and wipers.
A very helpful shop in St George got me in and on my way PDQ (wish I could remember the name).
There is a lot being done by the ignition switch. Good luck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: