Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping A Middle With Greyhound
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Shipping A Middle With Greyhound Reply with quote

I think I've searched all the great info on this site regarding packing a middle seat and using Greyhound. My concern, and my buyer's, is that Greyhound will only insure to $300. Has anyone had any problems with Greyhound losing a middle seat?
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: greyhound Reply with quote

I have shipped everything from doors to seats (beetle fronts and rears) never had issues.

I sent a westy pop top to cali with no issues. I sent a 2-fold to west coast as well.

I brace, wrap in cardboard, then cover the hole thing with stretch wrap.

I even received a front clip (door hinge jamb to apron) of a zwitter.
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could happen, but to the best of everyone's knowledge here on thesamba, it hasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
it could happen, but to the best of everyone's knowledge here on thesamba, it hasn't.

Never a problem so far with G-hound, go for it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
Ahh, but it has. I searched but could not find the photos/thread. A few years back there was a thread about an early ('60 down)middle seat, shipped Greyhound, that showed up really mangled/crushed/destroyed. Not only was the buyer/poster bummed about his new seat being ruined, but the insurance cap was also a huge issue. Maybe someone else can find the thread/pic.s ?.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71827

scroll down to the last line under "miscellaneous"

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a seat get lost. the buyer was freaking out on me like it was my fault, my problem. he wanted more money from greyhound even tho he knew going into it that he would only get $300 if it was lost. in fact he wanted more than he paid me. that is where he lost my sympathy.

the seat turned up. it was in dallas where greyhounds lost cargo gets held. i had sent him pictures of the packake which was very helpful in finding it. it took a while but it was found.

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you wrap the entire seat in stretch wrap and affix the buyer's contact info and destination terminal in a manner that it can't fall off...also take a photo of what it looks like when you drop it to Greyhound...I had a pair of NOS fenders in their OG VW carton get lost by Greyhound for six months because the standard issue GPX adhesive label fell off and the fenders ended up in the Greyhound 'Lost & Found' in Texas that UZI already spoke of...they may well have been lost forever if I didn't have a photo of the OG carton and wasn't helped by an employee who gave a rats ass and went looking for them...the whole thing could have been avoided if my contact info was in plain sight and in addition to the Greyhound GPX label...
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea to write the recievers info on EVERY face of the carton. Some of the terminal employees leave a lot to be desired as far as competence is concerned Rolling Eyes .

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a heavy Greyhound user, but for middle seats I rely on Amtrak. It has worked out great and maybe cheaper. Don't remember their insurance limit.

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
I am a heavy Greyhound user, but for middle seats I rely on Amtrak. It has worked out great and maybe cheaper. Don't remember their insurance limit.

Cris

Hey Cris,

I think a short middle is right up against their 50# limit and packaging would add a few more pounds. Since they will allow more if you palletize, may I assume that's the way you usually ship seats?
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzed wrote:
cris torlasco wrote:

Cris

Hey Cris,

I think a short middle is right up against their 50# limit and packaging would add a few more pounds. Since they will allow more if you palletize, may I assume that's the way you usually ship seats?

Wrapped in cardboard, that was all. But it has been a long time since i've done this, maybe their rules have changed.
Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called Amtrak and they are no longer shipping ANY item with any dimension over 36", so that eliminates cargo area seating.
broozebrothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes its better to just pay the extra dough and ship through a company that will insure it 100%, especially on a item like a middle seat.. for piece of mind anyway.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broozebrothers wrote:
Sometimes its better to just pay the extra dough and ship through a company that will insure it 100%, especially on a item like a middle seat.. for piece of mind anyway.

Here's a great update; Greyhound now insures up to $1000. That may not cover every middle out there, but it's one hell of a lot closer than $300.
IN2RUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shipped a set of Original Hoops for a Single Cab with Greyhound. I screwed a 2x4 from the bottom of each of the legs and sent them off with greyhound to an eastern state months ago and it did take some time due to a holiday but they did arrive in 1 piece and not bent.

Yes, they do not insure for more than 300.00 which is risky but if you wrap them item up nicely, it should be fine.
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IN2RUST wrote:

Yes, they do not insure for more than 300.00 which is risky but if you wrap them item up nicely, it should be fine.

But they do! See my post above; it's right on their website as well:
Declared Value:
(Max $1000 total shipment)

You pay a small premium ($8.00) for $1000. Only $100 is now covered without the purchase of additional insurance.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out recently that if someone ships you a seat from a BFE greyhound station, they don't issue a formal GLI # because it rides on a non-Greyhound Bus to a greyhound station, then gets put on a Bus.

It takes a lot longer to arrive if this is the case. My seat took almost 2 weeks. Some of that may have been random in that no bus space was available but I have never had a seat take over 3 days.

There is still a number issued but you have to call the originating station to get information.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had whole beetle rear quarter panels shipped greyhound (window section and all) , heater channels etc and never had a problem and they were only wrapped in cardboard.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: