Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nice camping spots in Chicago (Spot found)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Nice camping spots in Chicago (Spot found) Reply with quote

My wife and I are driving the Westy into Chicago for Phish at UIC Pavilion tonight. Want a nice, safe place to camp, not stealth(unless it is real bad ass).

We are fine with paying to stay at a campsite or rv spot but are not big fans of big RVs running generators all night(Who is?) or mini golf and stuff... Smile

Any suggestions? By the water would be cool.

Thanks in advance!

-Bennifer

Last edited by focusedcycling on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Campgrounds&hl=e...5&z=10

Zoom in & out if you like...good luck!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I checked the Google first and found some promising spots.

Was hoping a local or someone who has done it before might have some unbiased opinions or suggestions.

Anyone else going tonight or any of the other nights? If so where are you staying?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we camp mostly in Wisconsin to get out of the city. Most/all of the forest preserves around the city are closed after dark, and you'll get a knock-knock on your window from John-Q-Law if you're there late.

Me, I'd get well out of the city, in more rural Illinois before camping.

Good luck!

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spinal Tap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where did you folks end up camping?

RCB wrote:
Its called tact...and tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a manner that they anticipate the trip.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late response but I have been meaning to put this up for others to enjoy.

We found a "marshaling yard" right behind the McCormick Convention center that is used for staging tractor trailers when brought in for big shows.

You can find via google.

The lot doesn't have any hookups as far as water of electric but it is a lot that is patrolled by security.

About $19 for 24hrs, so not cheap but again we were "allowed" to be there so we could spread out our camping accessories and not worry about trying to be stealth. One side of the lot has a grass like section behind it and backs up to the train tracks. We were able to back onto the grass to shower out of the back of the Westy and hide in the shade of some trees in order to sleep in longer.

I would recommend for those staying over in the city and looking for a convenient and safe place to stay, The chicago rails system was close enough to walk to as well.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Marshalling lot is on Moe Drive. It was not on my GPS when I tried to find it a few weeks back for a Foodshow I was doing.

Never thought of it for a stealth site, but it is definately convenient. Thank you for the idea.

LP
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe Drive it is, lost my mind a little those nights at Phish... Smile

And so not to be confused we payed the $19 for the nights and were not camping stealth, just no hookups.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

focusedcycling wrote:
Moe Drive it is, lost my mind a little those nights at Phish... Smile

And so not to be confused we payed the $19 for the nights and were not camping stealth, just no hookups.

Union rules. Can't get into that lot without paying.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: