Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whew, that was close!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that people who ran out of gas were really stupid, but then it happened to me, coincidently while I was trying to do a thousand things at once. the shock of looking down at the fume meter and wondering how long that needle had been there is memorable..with all of these added systems, I care not to attend to them by not having them. power to those who do--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winterize:2011 Version.

Our first frost is expected in Portland, Oregon on Monday. Westy's have no problem with a little frost, but, Just thought I would suggest it is time to drain and treat the tanks for the winter and button things up. For those of us who have the pleasure of driving them year round, share your winterizing tips and tricks!

Since all my Westy stuff is out of the van, I have it easy but will have to think about it when I put it all back together in the coming month or so.

I always fill up my wiper washer fluids to the low temp/won't freeze type. Always do an oil change to my winter weight oil.
Drain tanks and add some RV antifreeze if you are doing it late. Be safe. I always drain mine after the last camping trip of the season and leave the caps of for a week or so, then, seal up and spray a few sprays of bleach water solution in there.

Check tire pressure and adjust for the season.

Check all seals and drains for proper function. I live under a bunch of trees so I must always check the Luggage area up top.

Knocking on wood, have never had mice problems, but do have dryer sheets all over the place in the cabinets and such. No peppermint oil yet, but, sounds Zesty!

What say you?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the timely reminder. Not a Westy (wish), but I've still got a weak coolant solution in there as the vehicle's still getting sorted. Got a stainless coolant tower on the way, so will be flushing the system for the 8th time since I got it running when I replace that, then filling with proper mix. We're not due for a freeze yet in the forecast.

Gotta get the boat winterized this week, too - along with painting and reassembling the Syncro. Guess which one has my undivided attention and which one will be a last minute fire drill? Heh.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
BillWYellowstone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On DVD we use air to purge lines, then the antifreeze (pink stuff) for traps and waste tanks. Never load the water tank, takes a long time to clear taste, plus takes too many jugs.

For west, I drain tank, run pump, pour a little down drain. Easy.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around my house we winterize by turning off the AC and opening the windows. Will probably work for the Vanagon as well. Although I may get wacky and store a sweatshirt behind the seat. Very Happy

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: