Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suggestions needed for WA camping, November 1
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Suggestions needed for WA camping, November 1 Reply with quote

I bought our first Westy about a month ago as a 20th anniversary gift for my wife and we're so excited to take it out camping. We've taken time off work for the first week of November, but when looking (online) for any campgrounds that are in our vicinity, we're finding that they all seem to close in October.

We're looking for something within about a 3-4 drive from Seattle.

I've been working hard to get the van "boondocking" ready, with an 80w solar panel, 120ah of batteries, and propane heat. But my wife demands that we have a warm shower available to her for our first camping trip.

I know there are plenty of people here on the Samba that have extensive PNW camping experience, so I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have.

From the 10-day weather forecast, it looks like it may be rainy by the coast, but drier to the east.

Thanks!
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
JN99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just camped near Lake Chelan a couple weeks ago and would highly recommend the area - really lovely out there and with any luck sunnier too Smile Big wine area too if you are into that. The parks we camped in were Lincoln Rock (about 30 minutes west of Chelan) and Lk Chelan State park. The hookup area at LR was packed but we just about had the whole other loop to ourselves. They are both decent, and you can camp right near the water at both. I think they are both still open as well.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Suggestions needed for WA camping, November 1 Reply with quote

If you visit the Yahoo WetWesties site they are organizing more westy campouts in WA. I think there's one coming up near SeaTac this weekend or next.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions needed for WA camping, November 1 Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:
If you visit the Yahoo WetWesties site they are organizing more westy campouts in WA. I think there's one coming up near SeaTac this weekend or next.

The WetWesties campout this weekend is at Manchester State Park near Port Orchard WA. I should know... I'm hosting it!

I have the group site reserved for Friday 10/28 and Saturday 10/29. Check in time starts at 2:30 pm Friday.

Here's a link to the WetWesties web site http://wetwesties.org/

Check the calender for more info and future PNW camping with folks who don't let a little damp weather stop them from enjoying life and their Westys!

Side note: Marius will be there with Otto and his fresh and perky tencentlife waterboxer. Dancing
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We camped out over in the PA/Forks area, saltwater creek had a nice camp ground with decent showers...and full hookups for mussies like me Laughing

Also, Leavenworth is a nice spot now too....I keep wanting to get over there for octoberfest but never do, either way icicle creek has a nice campground at the end of town.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to get our van done so we can get out to Sol Duc.

Also places that come to mind are currently getting pretty cold, upper Wenatchee lakes, Ross Lake up out of Concrete, WA (very beautiful)

Then there is always Ruby beach.

We cant wait to get out there.

Also we camped in the Hoh mountain Rain forest. It was EPIC. So lush!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: camp Reply with quote

This is a great site http://www.reserveamerica.com/

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions needed for WA camping, November 1 Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:
The WetWesties campout this weekend is at Manchester State Park near Port Orchard WA. I should know... I'm hosting it!

I have the group site reserved for Friday 10/28 and Saturday 10/29. Check in time starts at 2:30 pm Friday.

Here's a link to the WetWesties web site http://wetwesties.org/

I have Friday off, so I'll drive over from W. Seattle to meet up with you guys! I may even stay the night.......
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the state parks you can also try county parks. I was at Kayak Point in Snohomish county last weekend and enjoyed crabbing from the pier. Here is the link to their campgrounds
http://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Departments/Parks/Park_Information/

Enjoy your trip.

Steve
DrTwee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Camping in November? Reply with quote

I've lived all my life (so far) in Washington and there's a good reason campgrounds close in November, in fact, I'm looking outside at it right now. The good news is you won't have to fight off the Summer crowds. Also, if you insist on wet camping, get a Wasserstopper from GoWesty.
Enjoy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: