Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Has anyone imported a Doka from CA recently?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Has anyone imported a Doka from CA recently? Reply with quote

I have a friend who would like to import a 1990 Doka into WA state from Canada and he has been given wildly varying information on how to go about it. If anyone out there has fairly recent personal experience in this area, I would love to be able to pass that information along, or even better, possibly have my friend contact you directly.

Any help that can be shared would be great. Thanks!

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this website for information:

http://www.autostadtwest.com/

I have dealt with them in the past and have also emailed just for advice. Jeff was always a great help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the blue one in Victoria BC?

tencentlife wrote:
...most are doing what most auto forum participants do, parroting things they've heard
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillM wrote:

I have dealt with them in the past and have also emailed just for advice. Jeff was always a great help.

X2 Jeff is the man , he helped me with information on how to import my 1990 Diesel Westy , they are Registered Importers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ib-bus wrote:
BillM wrote:

X2 Jeff is the man , he helped me with information on how to import my 1990 Diesel Westy , they are Registered Importers.

X3 on using an RI
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks guys! I'll pass along the information.

Fredn, it's not the blue one in Victoria.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
mmmdiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my recent experience, my advice would be to call it a "Vanagon". Do not classify it a "truck" or "utility vehicle". If you call it truck then it will be eligible for the 25% duty that they levy on import trucks coming into the US regardless of age, vans would only receive 2.5%. That 25% became the deal breaker on my sale. Importing should not be a problem if the vehicle is 25 years old. Otherwise like mentioned above Autostadt west would be the way to go for federalization.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3200 to broker the truck ? yikes !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vango Conversions
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom bought her 84 westy in BC and imported it to WA with very little hassle. It was originally a USA car that was imported to Canada so that may have made things easier.

I remember hearing something about if the vehicle is over 25 years old then it's no big deal to import but the newer vehicles are much more difficult. Haven't done it myself though. What year is it? I'd think an 86 or earlier shouldn't be a problem.
timbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on the truck designation. A few years back I had my 68 Crewcab listed ( I had originally brought it north to Vancouver BC from Mount Vernon area) and had a very, very interested buyer in the Seattle area. Once all info was collected he backed off due to the "truck" designation.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get to pick the designation, when they look at the car they will reclassify it. Your only hope is referring to the CMVSS in the D/S door jam that says "multipurpose passenger vehicle" on it.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the tips and information. I think he is going to contact Jeff at Autostadt. my buddy already owns another Doka that was originally imported by them, but he didn't actually do the importing of that one, he simply bought it after the fact, so he wasn't really aware of Jeff's "standings" in the community.

This is a 1990 Doka, so he is going to have some additional hurdles to jump compared to a 25 year old or older vehicle.

westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a North American truck (VIN with no ZZZ) then it can be imported directly without a registered importer. All that is needed ion that case is a copy of the VWOA certificate of [non]conformity, speedo change to miles per hour, and swap out the brake warning indicator to the US one that says 'brake'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwjoel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Doka from ZSI last April that was brought into the country as "parts" so there was no paper trail. It has a ZZZ VIN. It took 6 months and about $1000 in taxes and fees but I was able to get a Virginia title and transfer it into Washington State. I finally have plates! Coming in from Canada will be a lot easier.

NHTSA has some good information on their website
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/faq%20site/pages/page2.html
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
If it's a North American truck (VIN with no ZZZ) then it can be imported directly without a registered importer. All that is needed ion that case is a copy of the VWOA certificate of [non]conformity

I have heard many times in the past that VW doesn't give those out for owners any longer, if you can get one then importing shouldn't be a breeze as you say.
Many moons ago when I imported my truck I used a company called Cross Border Trading as a RI they did all of the verification and took the duty payment. When I got to the border the guys there said that I didn't need a RI and asked why I used one because I didn't need to. Confused This wasn't a regular border guy but the guy in charge who was telling me that(I met him when they detained me for attempting to flee the country, but that is a different story Laughing )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: