Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'69 meyers manx barn find... buried for 26 years!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobfalfa5 wrote:

i am in love of stock vw smoothies, widened and no hubcap, cause they are very common at the age and they just look aggressive an minimal.

i am not in love with 356 wheels cause i find them too common and "off the shelf look"

i prefer the look of the smoothies with no air windows. more clean to see and homemade taste.

Your taste is a little different than most. Copper colored wheels on a violet buggy is a pretty unusual combination. Can't recall seeing it in the 60s, or ever.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
bobfalfa5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are wrong bl3!!!

You have seen a lot!!!

but they were all black and white pictures!!! Laughing Laughing
jarid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe! You found yourself a real tight Manx there. Tangerine Red even, that color gives me the night sweats. Looks great after the clean-up. I'm gonna have to agree with bobfalfa5 and suggest you keep the "rolling museum" look. Nice score on the Hazet tools that came with it. That never happens to me but I did buy a '69 bus recently that came with an old ham sandwich and a half bottle of stale rootbeer behind the front seat.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is stated that the buggy was built in 1969. Aluminum slot rims first came out in 1963. The classic SS Crager came about in 1964. The two piece riveted aluminum Centerline rims first appeared in 1970.

All three "shiney", lighter than the full steel rims, would be period correct for this buggy. I like nostalgia just as well as anyone else, but I also embrace technology (racing or not) when it makes something better. Getting away from wheel adapters is an improvement for anythig that has wheels. That is why I made my suggestion when he asked for constructive criticism. Lighter weight rims handle better, ride better, steer better. If the buggy will sit another 20 years in a garage, leave it be. If it will get driven more than to a corner store, up date it to the technology that was around at the time it was built.

In my opinion, this buggy with those black rims looks drab.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would paint the steel wheels white and run them with the hub caps. That is a classic look.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider Geoff's Manx a classic/vintage look:

I have tried to keep mine period correct with the slots:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wythac's too:

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crack monkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the black wheels. I see a lot of Stock bugs had black wheels. I would put the chrome wheel covers and call it a day. It is a sweet ride
FarmerJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roscoe , you are one lucky dude
I too was lucky when I acquired my buggy 4 yrs. ago , a 68 manx that had been stored in a garage since 1972 with lots of original goodies still intact .
Now rather than tell you what to , or not to do , and continue this old school vs. new school , vintage / classic vs. modern debate I say congratulations and fix it up the way you want !!
I think I'll start another thread on old vs. new and what changes I made to my buggy
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run a set of sandblasted and pitted magnesium BRM's on it... or everybody's favorite, the Porsche Fuch wheel.

Really, run the wheel YOU want on it - no one will care but you! Lesser opinions don't matter, as no one else has any dog in this hunt. Drive it and enjoy it!

bnc
mr_bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS car is according to Mr. Bruce Meyers the "oldest pan-Manx that I have seen".....

Wife & I just enjoy playing with this car....drive it anywhere, anytime & never ever worry if someone else does NOT like what we do/or have done to it !!! Just drive it !!!!!!! Wink Wink (This is a "very early", non-tagged Manx with several "vintage" pieces made by Bruce when he WAS the company!!) Built in early 1965 by Roger Smith of Peppertree Automotive in Coast Meas CA. Wife & I are the 2nd owners.......again.... DRIVE IT !!!!!
IF ya' want more info/pics.......just ask !!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Roscoe.....nice car....do what YOU like !!! & be sure to DRIVE IT !!!! Cool Cool

"Mr Bill"
Dos Perros Motorsports
Orange, CA
1972 Class 11x/Stock Bug
'60's era "vintage" Tunnell-Buggy

"...no one here....get's out ALIVE...."

Motor = electric
Engine = internal combustion

www.facebook.com/groups/DosPerrosMotorsports
www.alrchapter132.org
www.DAV.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: 69 meyers manx barnfind Reply with quote

here's a cool pic that Stanagon took a few weeks ago at the Transporterfest show in Brookline, Massachusetts.

I do appreciate everyones input so far, it's all good talk! Does anyone know if a genuine Manx front bumper differs much from a repro Manx front bumper? Did most old time Manx buggies run a genuine Manx rear bumper, or an aftermarket engine cage or just no bumper at all? I also need to find a rear emblem as the Orig. owner misplaced the one for my car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarid wrote:
Roscoe! You found yourself a real tight Manx there. Tangerine Red even, that color gives me the night sweats. Looks great after the clean-up. I'm gonna have to agree with bobfalfa5 and suggest you keep the "rolling museum" look. Nice score on the Hazet tools that came with it. That never happens to me but I did buy a '69 bus recently that came with an old ham sandwich and a half bottle of stale rootbeer behind the front seat.
Jaroid! Night Sweats eh? Ya I've been there. Have you ever had trouble sleeping at night cause you can't stop thinking about buses, dune buggies or whatever? That's the predicament I've been in for years now. I wasn't so lucky to find an old ham sandwich and stale rootbeer in the buggy, but I did find a unopened pair of yellow dishwashing gloves in the package from the 1970's!
Q. Is it better to be broken on the side of the road with and old sandwich and stale rootbeer, hazet tools or yellow dishwashing gloves? Man thats a tough call...The lady on the package is wicked pretty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 meyers manx barnfind Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Does anyone know if a genuine Manx front bumper differs much from a repro Manx front bumper? Did most old time Manx buggies run a genuine Manx rear bumper, or an aftermarket engine cage or just no bumper at all? I also need to find a rear emblem as the Orig. owner misplaced the one for my car.

The front bumper Meyers Manx Inc. sells is the closest bumper to the original you can buy. It has the same smooth curve to the tubes in front, not points. Its a little narrower than the original so it will clear a towbar.

Engine cages weren't common on buggies in the 60s. Mostly they had a single tube bumper, the same shape as the top front tube which attached to the turned up edges of the skid plate.

If MM Inc. doesn't have any rear emblems, have one laser cut from aluminum.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 69 meyers manx barnfind Reply with quote

Roscoe wrote:
Does anyone know if a genuine Manx front bumper differs much from a repro Manx front bumper? Did most old time Manx buggies run a genuine Manx rear bumper, or an aftermarket engine cage or just no bumper at all? I also need to find a rear emblem as the Orig. owner misplaced the one for my car.

The front bumper Meyers Manx Inc. sells is the closest bumper to the original you can buy. It has the same smooth curve to the tubes in front, not points. Its a little narrower than the original so it will clear a towbar.

Engine cages weren't very common on buggies in the 60s. Mostly they had a single tube bumper, the same shape as the top front tube which attached to the turned up edges of the skid plate, like Bill's above and these.

If MM Inc. doesn't have any rear emblems, have one laser cut from aluminum.

Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL3Manx--- I see... even by 1969 people weren't using cages yet? Does anyone sell an authentic looking rear manx bumper? Good idea on the rear Manx badge. I heard not long ago you could still get badges from the Meyers, but now they may be out?
Roscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FarmerJohn wrote:
Roscoe , you are one lucky dude
I too was lucky when I acquired my buggy 4 yrs. ago , a 68 manx that had been stored in a garage since 1972 with lots of original goodies still intact .
Now rather than tell you what to , or not to do , and continue this old school vs. new school , vintage / classic vs. modern debate I say congratulations and fix it up the way you want !!
I think I'll start another thread on old vs. new and what changes I made to my buggy
Farmer John---would like to see some photos of your buggy at some point. Sounds cool!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're planning on getting a Manx front bumper, I'd get one of those first, and then if you get a skid plate, see if you can find someone locally that can bend a rear tube to match the front shape and also fit on your skid plate, if you see what I mean.

You could actually bend it yourself. Cut a wood form that matches the front curve from two sheets of 3/4" plywood laminated together. Heat the center section of tube with a torch until its soft enough to bend and press it over the form. The form will burn but no problem. Then just use a regular tube bender for the other bends so it matches your skip plate width.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ideas about vintage style i always like to check out the old original dune buggies and hot vw's magazines.

amazingly original barn find manx...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still looking for a rear skid plate and bumper , let me know . I took it off my manx a few years ago when I rebuilt it. It is a aftermarket one. As for wheels, put whatever you like on it, it can always be changed at a later date.

OLD PIC...

NEW PIC...

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: