Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strange new shifting problem
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: strange new shifting problem Reply with quote

I have a 58 kombi and have always had problems from really messed up fron shift rod to wrong hanger bracket with late style bushing. Now all replaced with ww early front shift rod and correct hanger with m spring.
Problem no is the ball of the shifter pops out of cup on front ww shift rod when trying to put it in 4th or 3rd.. any idea what it could be...thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barracudabrendon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the correct shifter, 58 is longer then say a 60-65 shifter??
1964 N Model Squareback
Ruthless Fastback Drag car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

should be the right shifter (straight shaft) Right? Another really weird thing is it only seems to do it when i push the clutch in. Without clutch pushed in everything seems ok Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1963 camper that I had bought started having problems when shifting. He had put an aftermarket front shifting shaft in it so I removed it and laid it upright on the garage floor next to a stock one I got at an autowrecker: the cup on the aftermarket one was about one-fourth of an inch lower than the cup on the stock one. I installed the stock shifting shaft and the sucker shifted fine. Get a stock shifting shaft and compare the two shafts.
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all gears seem to go from nice and smooth to really stiff when clutch is engaged
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is a stock shifter and correct year...that is for sure Wink
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front mount busted? Your talking when the engine is off right?
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep ...you talkin front trans mount...cant check right now have no help to work clutch peddle to see what is going on under bus
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got through working out my early 58 bus shifter issues. It had been sitting for 20+ years and everything was a basket case to say the least. After I put the rebuilt engine in, I went to hook up the shift rod/shifter/new rear coupler etc... and I found all 4 gears no problem, but NO Reverse.

Anyway... first thing to check is to make sure you put the new WW shift rod back in the correct scrub screw set on the rear shift rod (that goes from the middle of bus to rear coupler). I learned that there are two sets of scrub screw holes on the rear shift rod on both ends. I didn't have mine in the correct scrub screw hole set and I could never find Reverse. Once I tried the other set, I knew looking up from under the bus, everything lined up better. So make sure you put it back in correct.

Next, you need to play with getting the floor lock out plate lined up and that maybe your only problem (move it either side to side or front to back slightly). Since I could never find Reverse, I manually put it in reverse, started up the bus and made sure it was in reverse. Then played around with lining up the lock out plate/shifter and screwed the shifter back down. You will have to mess with it a bunch which can be frustrating so be patient. I found it trial and error at this point. I did mine here and there over a 10 day period! Hope it doesn't take you that long. Good luck... and also make sure everything is lubed very well.
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after a very long day in the garage trying to pin point the problem...THE SHIFTER would move slightly when i pushed the the clutch in..finally realized that the two nose cone bolts two the tranny mount where a little loses.. Tighten up and all seems good. Could not see it moving but made a world of difference
smokeykombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed my bad.....goodandthight Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: