Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truckfridge - TF49 or TF65
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with your truckfridge
Happy with my TF49
30%
 30%  [ 8 ]
Wish I had installed a TF65
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Happy with my TF65
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Wish I had installed a TF49
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
who needs a new fridge the dometic is perfect
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
fridge... i don't need no stinkin' fridge
26%
 26%  [ 7 ]
truckfridge bah! i installed a........
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 26

ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Truckfridge - TF49 or TF65 Reply with quote

So for all you folks who have installed a truckfridge

just curious as I contemplate my choice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65 can fit in a Westy, so if you are changing, then why not the bigger one?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the way i am leaning, I've got the skills and have to pull the furniture to do rust abatement anyway, but am balking at cutting up the stock panel.
even Mrs. Ursa is on the fence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save all the stock panels and use a custom panel to install the TF. Then it could be returned to stock if ever need be. It takes up most of the panel anyway.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359831&highlight=fridge
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all cool with the TF49 panel replacement, It's cutting the right side cabinet panel down for the TF65 that I am hesitating on. I could do a custom panel for that side and just use the drawer and cabinet fronts to make it look stock. or just suck it up and do it.

the size of the tf65 is tempting me........

Last edited by ursaworks on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building new panels is pretty easy with common wood working tools. I used cheap shop birch and painted it. Looks pretty good.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the 65 and build new faces to accomodate it. You could cover them in this
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4336&category_id=&category_parent_id=
to retain a stock look.

In a couple of years you'll be glad for the added fridge size.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65 is too deep to fit the stock cabinet depth - how do you plan to deal with that?

The Vitrifrigo C60i might squeak in, depth-wise, but would still require mods to widen the opening (move the right sidewall)
http://www.vfamerica.com/eng/catalog.asp?id=2434&n=ocean
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence my posing the questions.

Westyventures - your example is what has inspired me to do this swap
I have not decided which way to go with this as yet, and I see your point.

From the schematic drawings that were posted on another thread, photos of both installations, and my measurements of the void in my own van.

It appears that the tf65 fits by trimming the panel out of the back side of the cabinet and butting up against the horizontal framing member of the van the compressor sticks out a bit further in the back and would cause issue with the city water inlet, however I have already deleted this so no issue there for me

the schematics from the manufacturer were posted in another thread by llcoolrog

"Ok, so I got a schematic from the guy at TruckFridge....about a 12 hour response time over-night, which is great if you ask me. The door on the 65 looks like it extends off of the flange by about 1-3/4".

Here is the schematic line drawing of the model 65 for your reference.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/llcoolrog/5473767099/"

I have emailed truckfridge to see if i can get a similar sketch for the tf49 as well to compare. To see if the profile (what sticks out of the cabinet) when mounted would be the same or not it appears to me that the depth of the door to the mounting flange on either model is about 1.75" , but not having either on hand to compare it is hard to tell.

Either looks good from pictures. but looks are not...well maybe a bit as important.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks closer...I was going by TF's dimensions that state 19.75", which is 1.75" deeper than the 49 model. That would put it deep into the wall cavity as the 49 is already against the wallboard covering the cavity. It appears the compressor sits back further in this model, taking up almost 1.5" more depth at the top, but given the shape of the wall, it might still sit back into the cavity with sufficient trimming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my TF65 and the cold beer that grows there.
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I wonder if the beer growing feature is an added optional feature only availible in Canada? I'm gonna have to pick up one of those on the next trip north.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, here's how I fit my TF65 in my syncro westy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...;start=180

And here it is with the new drawer installed under the fridge:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The TF65 only looks small because Mrs. Howesight is 6 feet tall.
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Save all the stock panels and use a custom panel to install the TF. Then it could be returned to stock if ever need be. It takes up most of the panel anyway.
highlight=fridge

This sounds like a very wise idea. If you goof up any cuts, you have not messed with the original.

CJ

PS - Howesight, love those wheels!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like my '49 just fine, excellent upgrade from the propane unit. Runs fine off my house batteries (4xUB2220) or my old Honda EX650 (Craigslist-$250). Lots more room inside than the original, not too noisy at night for my tastes, nice and cold. Slide a spare piece of the laminate I used to reface all the cabinets in the face so it looks right at home. Made a new face-frame and gained an nice drawer underneath too boot.
Been more than 2 yrs and couldn't be happier

[url]Page 3
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...url][/url]
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great westyman,

If I go the tf65 route I am looking at getting the folkstone laminate from HD, need some lam for another home project anyway, grey is as good a color as any. and building a new front for the sink cabinets unless I can find a second hand one somewhere.

I am leaning towards the 65 right now after i checked the dimensons of the cooler we used on the last trip and calculated the ice volume we had to keep in there we were at about 50 liters. the extra space would be helpful and having no cooler taking up space would be great as well.

I am lucky as I already had six 40ah batteries sitting around, (leftover from an electric motorcycle experiment), and got a great deal on a xantrex hf inverter/charger $100, so that is all installed with a yandina. and a basic fuse panel

I also laid in the wiring for a solar panel when i rehabbed the a/c recently.

But as I am a bit of a scrounger, as many tech theatre people tend. that will be a later endeavor. I also have a inside rust abatement project to do before I get the refer going. luckily it does not seem to be nearly as bad as others I have seen
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: truckfridge Reply with quote

I like my '49 - keeps beer and food cold, frozen stuff frozen and I can go about 3 days with it on my Aux batteries. I've been re-thinking the entire interior design however as part of my '88 Military Van project - I find that a lot of the Westy interior is underutilized or not used at all. I'm leaning toward a top opening fridge/freezer from Compact Appliance and putting it on slides - part of a fridge, stove, sink console to sit behind the passenger seat that could be easily removed, either to be left at home or to use outside.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people get the TF49, so I'd expect this poll to end with "happy with my TF49" in the lead.

I got the TF65, be aware that it's most troublesome dimension is its depth, it goes allllllll the way back pretty much against the sheet metal of the van and even then I wish it sat back further.

Be aware that I do not own a Westy, but I got a westy kitchen for my passenger van thinking I would adapt it to the TF65, but am going the route of building a completely custom unit around the TF65.

I'd say if you're willing to do the work to fit it, go 65. I am 90% sure it is the same mechanically as the TF49, just a larger icebox.

I got the 65 because I used to run a dorm fridge in my van, and it worked just OK but what I learned from it is that when you are out of room in the fridge, you are just plain out of room in the fridge. You can't put the stuff anywhere else because it will spoil or get warm. With more room it is more practical and you can get more adventurous with what you plan to eat and the variety of the diet available to you as you travel. Or just a whole lot of beer.

-Rob
ursaworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after copious measurements and reading all the post i can find I am going with a TF65, I know I know...... but I am going to document the whole thing, even is I screw the pooch hopefully someone else can benefit.

And so far the inside Rust monster is not a big deal yet tore out the fiberglass and peeked behind the water tank cabinet and it appears I just have issues behind the sink..... so far. (dramatic piano chords) but who knows what lurks behind the next cabinet.

Cheers
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth checking out the Vitrifrigo C60:
http://www.vfamerica.com/eng/catalog.asp?id=2434&n=ocean
Truckfridge can also sell any VF model to you.

This has the same depth and would most likely fit if you are willing to move the sidewall.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: