Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

i have have a 6ga wire going to the starter and a 10ga wire in to the same factory sheath that breaks out behind the firewall and heads over to the drivers side (I think)

Problem I have is the 10ga wire is broken at the alternator. I've spliced it back 6" but the copper is still rotten that far back. I'd like to run a new wire from source. Can someone point me where that might be?

cheers!

(bonus question; the other 10ga red wire that goes separately over to the drivers side is for what?)

'87 2.1. 125K 4spd Not rebuilt "Red Dwarf"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
i have have a 6ga wire going to the starter and a 10ga wire in to the same factory sheath that breaks out behind the firewall and heads over to the drivers side (I think)

Problem I have is the 10ga wire is broken at the alternator. I've spliced it back 6" but the copper is still rotten that far back. I'd like to run a new wire from source. Can someone point me where that might be?

cheers!

(bonus question; the other 10ga red wire that goes separately over to the drivers side is for what?)

Wire heading over to the driver side is power for the AC.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

James 93SLC wrote:
RadioRental wrote:

cheers!

Wire heading over to the driver side is power for the AC.

AC is the bonus question wire??
or the wire that's sheathed with the 6ga charging wire to the firewall.. this is the one thats broken. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

The wires should be smaller than the gauges you are saying. In any case the larger wire goes between the alternator post and the starter post. During starting the battery power flows from the starter to the alt post to provide battery power to the smaller red wire that goes to the engine compartment wiring box and from there it powers the fuel injection. After starting the alternator powers the fuel injection over the smaller wire and powers the battery and dash wiring over the larger wire.

In short, the smaller of the paired red wires goes to the engine compartment wiring box stud.

Mark

RadioRental wrote:

Problem I have is the 10ga wire is broken at the alternator. I've spliced it back 6" but the copper is still rotten that far back. I'd like to run a new wire from source. Can someone point me where that might be?.......
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The wires should be smaller than the gauges you are saying. In any case the larger wire goes between the alternator post and the starter post. During starting the battery power flows from the starter to the alt post to provide battery power to the smaller red wire that goes to the engine compartment wiring box and from there it powers the fuel injection. After starting the alternator powers the fuel injection over the smaller wire and powers the battery and dash wiring over the larger wire.

In short, the smaller of the paired red wires goes to the engine compartment wiring box stud.

Mark

RadioRental wrote:

Problem I have is the 10ga wire is broken at the alternator. I've spliced it back 6" but the copper is still rotten that far back. I'd like to run a new wire from source. Can someone point me where that might be?.......

That makes sense, thanks. I don't know my gauge sizes that well. Maybe it's 4ga and 6ga but I bought replacement wire that's 10ga and it's the same size as the +12v to the engine wiring box. And, I thought 4ga was battery lead size.

Anyway, I'll pull it out of the terminal box and run a new wire to the alternator. Thanks for your help Mark!

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd red wire off alternator, where's it going? Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
crazyvwvanman wrote:

Mark

RadioRental wrote:

That makes sense, thanks. I don't know my gauge sizes that well. Maybe it's 4ga and 6ga but I bought replacement wire that's 10ga and it's the same size as the +12v to the engine wiring box. And, I thought 4ga was battery lead size.

Anyway, I'll pull it out of the terminal box and run a new wire to the alternator. Thanks for your help Mark!

4 gauge is enormous that size is what the main battery terminal wire is, i've yet to figure the cable sizes here, i think the bigger of the two is 12 gauge and the smaller is 14 gauge, or it'll be 14 gauge then 16 gauge

i used to metric mm sizes and find # gauge very confusing

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on US weights and measures. I don't understand how a country prides itself on independence from British empire and then keep hold of this crap.

Anyway, I've been enjoying your restoration thread. Where are you in Boston? we should meetup sometime. Enjoy your trip.

PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 gauge is not ENORMOUS, it is only about 1/4". You're thinking 4/0, called 4 ought or #0000. That's the size typically used for battery cable and is about 1/2".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Table_of_AWG_wire_sizes
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
4 gauge is not ENORMOUS, it is only about 1/4". You're thinking 4/0, called 4 ought or #0000. That's the size typically used for battery cable and is about 1/2".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge#Table_of_AWG_wire_sizes

it is if you want to make it off into a connector that fit into the back of an alternator

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why my flaps hates me. I don't ever bother to try and learn this stuff. My typical interaction with them goes like this.

me 'I need a stainless clamp that's about 2.5" wide'
them 'well, they're not really measured like that.. what's it for?'
me 'I need to fix a 5W resistor to my fuel pump'

They usually stop there, don't even bother to ask what the hell I'm trying to fix on the van now and just fish out something that might do.

So, I usually either eyeball what I need or cut off a piece of the brokenthing and show them. And try to remember that spanners are called wrenches.

thanks guys!

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RadioRental wrote:
Don't get me started on US weights and measures. I don't understand how a country prides itself on independence from British empire and then keep hold of this crap.

Anyway, I've been enjoying your restoration thread. Where are you in Boston? we should meetup sometime. Enjoy your trip.

we are in mattapan 02126, i hope only here until thursday, a meet, sure we'd be up for that Smile

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

RadioRental
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles away, nevermind. Enjoy your trip, keep us all updated here on the samba

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: