Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Death of the westy, long lived the westy
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that just sucks, Levi. Sorry to read this. I can understand waiting to check the rear swing arm adjustment to preserve hope, but, just think how good it will feel when you realize its just an alignment to fix the dog-tracking problem.

Git 'er dun! Very Happy

Then you can move on to worrying fulltime about the Merc drivers insurance. Evil or Very Mad

Since your already parting it out, I'll take all 4 wheels. Laughing

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
Parabellum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Levi

Sorry to hear and see the bad news. I am glad you are were not hurt. Perhaps the van can be fixed ?
Well good luck. Looks like it might have happened not that far from me.

Sorry,
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents -- by any means necessary get it repaired 'cause they're getting scarce.

Jeffrey using bad taste ? That's why we luv'em in Pdx ... he can't move, nobody else can have 'em Wink

Seriously sorry about the accident ... and just for being parked no less. There's a nice flash silver vanagon hardtop in my hood that got hit the same way while parked on the street. I try to keep all mine on the tarmac driveway when possible ....
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that the rear trailing arm or its mounting brackets were bent, but certainly not the frame.

It takes a hell of an impact to bend the frame, like a direct impact with a lot of inertia. I don't tihnk a sideswipe could do it.

Get that rear suspension off, check it out. Repair as necessary and do a 4 wheel alignment. You'll be good as new. I would hope the "marcedes" owner's insurance will pay for the repair and your new paint job.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news! Hallelujah and all that other stuff Laughing

Pulled off the left 2 wheels, and I can definitely see where the rear bolt for the toe has been skewed over, on the rear arm I can see separation lines in the caked on crap, which to me suggests it's bent underneath.
Front tie rod is in a major twist, barely able to rotate enough to allow the wheel to turn.

Not going to mess with any of it till the ins. co's have had their day in the sun, just giving it a cursory exam, but it's all good to know.

Alignment of the rear end is something I've never done myself, leaving it to the domain of Loogy and anyone else with the equipment for it, so I had never even examined how the rear components come together before. Now I can see why everyone knew it wasn't going to be a bent frame.

very cool Cool

time to get prepared for waiting on the next chapters.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in their thoughts on this!
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

levi good to hear. Do you think that your after market bumper helped save you from more damage?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
mtwrench540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: TOTALED Reply with quote

amazing how tough these vans are,and yes your bumpers helped you big time!!!! and no frame,you are unibody!!!
87 wolfsberg,74 181w/1915 and lots of patina! learned to fix vw's from hot vw mag in 1964,VWOA instructor,DSM,69 to73,service mgr at different porsche-audi dealers etc,etc,now retired!!! first vw new 64,transplanted 356 eng in 65,400characters are not enough space!!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

70coupyel wrote:
levi good to hear. Do you think that your after market bumper helped save you from more damage?

Like I had said earlier, no one comes down this road at less than 40 mph, and if you saw the damage to the benz .. geez I should've taken pics of it.

It was a new c 240, a small car but still 3500 pounds. To rip off his wheels, and do such little damage to my van (other than the bumpers), ... amazing to me.
Has to help that the benz is low Wink

This rear bumper has been "involved" before with me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the damage I received from that one below:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TOTALED Reply with quote

mtwrench540 wrote:
amazing how tough these vans are,and yes your bumpers helped you big time!!!! and no frame,you are unibody!!!

Unibody but there are frame rails right?
I just figured that with that much energy transferred, it could've been twisted, and I'm going down the road like an unwanted dog, rear end hanging out to the right. People slowing down to get behind me and point. hehe.

Hell, my slider door isn't operating the way it was, all made sense to me. Laughing
gonna see life my way

dixoncj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Levi - that sux. Are those Van-Cafe bumpers?
I think I see a set in the future for my '91 Westy. I used to have Van Cafe's on a Syncro and they seemed tough as nails. It appears that they truly are. Seems because they sit "away" from the body of your van more than the GoWesty's, they can protect the body better in an impact. I'd welcome your unfortunate real world opinion.
CD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
juanb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who parks in the street a few times each week, I've followed this thread with horror.

I'm glad the damage doesn't seem as bad as it did at the beginning, and, given that you are ok, I'm glad you were there to witness the accident and call the cops. I always imagine the nightmare of walking into a hit-and-run-wrecked Westy.

Now, here's hoping that the insurance company pays up as it should, and you end up with an as good or better van than you had before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please don't give up on it. I can't see that the frame could be harmed by the directional hit and scraping up the side. I'd say the Vanagon stood up well to the Benz. We are a hearty bunch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dixoncj wrote:
Damn Levi - that sux. Are those Van-Cafe bumpers?
I think I see a set in the future for my '91 Westy. I used to have Van Cafe's on a Syncro and they seemed tough as nails. It appears that they truly are. Seems because they sit "away" from the body of your van more than the GoWesty's, they can protect the body better in an impact. I'd welcome your unfortunate real world opinion.
CD

Honestly, I've considered many times selling these bumpers.
They're from aircooled.net

Problem is they're damn heavy, front is around 100# and the rear is heavier.
But it's not just the weight.
If that weight was placed in the middle, no big deal, but the farther out you place that weight, the more it adversely effects your handling.
I really hate that. Crying or Very sad

In fact I bought these from a syncro owner who wanted to get away from all this extra weight and it's effects.

If I lived in the middle of Kansas, there's no way I'd keep these.
gonna see life my way

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanb wrote:
As someone who parks in the street a few times each week, I've followed this thread with horror.

I'm glad the damage doesn't seem as bad as it did at the beginning, and, given that you are ok, I'm glad you were there to witness the accident and call the cops. I always imagine the nightmare of walking into a hit-and-run-wrecked Westy.

Now, here's hoping that the insurance company pays up as it should, and you end up with an as good or better van than you had before.

Me too! You know, what I've been thinking about lately is a couple cameras mounted up at the front and back corner, and on a 12 or so hour looped recorder.
Both for recording the hit n' runner while it's unoccupied and as evidence for fault in a traffic accident.

That data would have come in handy several times lately Smile
gonna see life my way

climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi,

I am glad things are looking favorable for you.

(and don't mind Carterzest too much, we keep him on a short leash here in Portland.)

Good vibes your way,
CJ
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh Carterzest isn't as much fun anymore, it's either/or the short leash or he doesn't do 2WD anymore Laughing sigh >>> syncro lust Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up on her yet Levi....

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X 2 underlined and exclamation mark. Just goes to show you not all vehicles created equally. Have fingers crossed for insurance!!!!
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
Yeh Carterzest isn't as much fun anymore, it's either/or the short leash or he doesn't do 2WD anymore Laughing sigh >>> syncro lust Cool

Shhhhhhhh Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: