Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O2 and Battery light blink on and off lightly on highway
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: O2 and Battery light blink on and off lightly on highway Reply with quote

I have doing a SW business road trip. About 100 miles West Gallup, NM my alternator and O2 light began to lightly flicker on and off in unison.

Van is running great. No loss of power. I pulled into the Gallup Walmart to spend the night and assess the problem. I don't normally drive at night (that much) and maybe I've always had a little short since pulling the dash this past Spring???

Thoughts from the collective???

I need to get to Albuquerque for a conference by Wednesday afternoon- 135 miles down the road.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel_Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this happen with the O2 and oil lights. For me it was just a loose connection on the alternator. I just cleaned the connectors when I stopped for gas and made sure I had the clips on the connector spades nice and tight.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both warning lights are on the same circuit. Sort of a "bulb check" circuit. They do perform a function in that they "excite" the alternator into charging once the engine has started.

On the road, you should check the belt tension and as mentioned a visual check of the wires. Specifically the D+ which is the small blue wire. In a pinch, you can unplug the blue wire connector and add a test light to perform the function of exciting the alternator.

The other question is, what is the age of the alternator and the regulator? The regulator should be internal and contains the "brushes". The brushes wear out. Easy to change, but not if you don't have a replacment one or the tools. I should have also mentioned, You really need a volt meter to see what is going on.

At night, a poor mans test is to pull up to a wall with the engine off. Turn the key to on and turn on the headlights. Notice their brightness. Now start the engine and rev it to get the alternator charging. If the alternator is charging, the lights should appear brighter.

If worse case the alternator is not charging, eventually the battery will die and the engine will quit. More common is the engine won't start, because it takes way more energy to start the engine than to run it. Fingers crossed for you.
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ THE SAMBA IS FULL OF WIN^^^

Thanks guys for the great answers. I drove through a blizzard in Flagstaff, perhaps that loosened up the crimp connection on the alternator. I tightened the crimp and no more light red lights.

Thanks a zillion!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
...If worse case the alternator is not charging, eventually the battery will die and the engine will quit...

I have experimented with that and it is true (also near ABQ).

Any auto parts store will roll a cart out to the vehicle for a quick test of the alternator if there is any doubt.
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Westy was running so well I decided to chance it and get out on the road.

"There couldn't be a problem... I thought"

This time I was right. It is freezing in Alburquerque right now.

I've got a pretty high level poach going on this week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: