Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle rear end.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubman59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

Hi from New Zealand.I have a59 beetle that is draging its butt. Would air shocks solve this problem or will I have to get the torsion bars adjusted. any advise would be appreciated.Regards Dubman.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

Air shocks would help but they are very hard on shock towers. The best thing is to reindex the spring plates to avoid problems later.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

sounds like you need to figure out what is wrong with the rear of your car before adding air shocks. chances are if you install new shocks and it is still too low the spring plates are out of adjustment, as tim said. but check this before going to air shocks. and just think us americans TRY to get our bugs low in the back lol Smile
dubman59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

Is this a job that i could myself. i have done jobs like replacing the transaxle & engine but they tell me its quite an act to adjust the torsion bars ???
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wingnuht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

check out the rubber spring plate bushings.
If the bushings are ok and the torsion bars
aren't broken, you'll probably have to
reindex the spring plates on the torsion bars
For a stock 59 beetle the unloaded spring
plate angle is 11 or 12 degrees from the
horizontal line of the car.If you have a
larger engine installed, you might want to
set the spring plate angle at 17 or 18degrees
Hope this helped ....good luck...Bryan
dubman59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:23 am    Post subject: Beetle rear end. Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise Bryan.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: