Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lucy's BIG adventure
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: lucy's BIG adventure Reply with quote

this is how we bought Lucy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

a few short weeks later she looks like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

we are planning on driving Lucy all the way south to Florida, then all the way west to California

taking in as much of the US as we can, between 3 and 6 months, I'm hoping on 6 months, mrs rubbachicken thinks 3 months

we'll be updating this thread from time to time {when we have interweb access}

we were hoping to leave on the 1st of November, that didn't quite work out Rolling Eyes then tomorrow, it's now looking like the weekend

our first stop will be new york, then DC ,Virginia and North Carolina for thanksgiving with family.

we've got some fun things to do on the way round, some scuba diving, snorkeling with manatee's in Florida, the Kennedy space center

if there's something cool in your area that you can recommend to a traveler, please feel free to let us know, or if you are on our rout and want to meet up with us or can offer us a shower... that would also be very welcome.

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed you removed the rubber strip on the driver's side of the bumper. What else??

heh....

Looks fantastic! As someone who's also going through a van, I appreciate all that went into that fast makeover - well done!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: lucy's BIG adventure Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:

if there's something cool in your area that you can recommend to a traveler, please feel free to let us know, or if you are on our rout and want to meet up with us or can offer us a shower... that would also be very welcome.

In Arizona, lots to see: Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater, Grand Canyon, Wupatki Ruins, Lava Tube, Walnut Canyon, Oak Creek/Sedona, Kartchner Caverns, Bisbee, Tombstone... and much more.

If you pass through AZ in January, there's Buses By the Bridge in Lake Havasu.

If you happen to come to Phoenix, you've got a shower, bed, & hot meal at my place... if desired.

Looking forward to the trip reports! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I noticed you removed the rubber strip on the driver's side of the bumper. What else??

Sticker at the top of windshield removed
Sticker on Wing Window removed
Sticker on Rear Window removed
Antenna height changed
Uhh, not much else that I noticed... Very Happy

Seriously Rubba, that's some good work there. Sounds like you've got a fantastic trip planned to break it in. Good luck to you and the wife on your travels.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: trip Reply with quote

I highly recommend a day in Charlston and again in Savanna- take the trolley tours-they may seem corny and for the "senior set" but it's a great way to tour such important historical cities.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, take the coastal highway from Pensacola east thru Alabama. it is all white shifting sand dunes, they use a snow plow to keep the road clean. It is an amazing surreal and almost an out of body experience.

I'll be travelling with you thru your updates etc... Don't forget libraries are excellent sources for free internet and a lot of major food chains. Sometimes in hotel/motel parking lots you can pick up their wireless. I've just bought a LTE Sierra Wireless 'stick' and when I'm going to the States it will only cost me $10.00 more per mth to connect to AT&T. using my Roger's Account. It's super fast and handles 4G.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you can, take the coastal highway from Pensacola east thru Alabama. it is all white shifting sand dunes, they use a snow plow to keep the road clean. It is an amazing surreal and almost an out of body experience.

Highway 98. One of my favorite roads ever.

Safe Travels!!!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Salem7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met you guys at Transporterfest, You certainly did a lot in a short time. I hope the trips goes well and it is great experience.

1995 Eurovan Camper
fredn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alligator farm in St. Augustine florida is pretty cool.

tencentlife wrote:
...most are doing what most auto forum participants do, parroting things they've heard
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like taking 17 down to Florida as 95 is so lame. You could take the Blue ridge parkway to NC/SC and then head east to 17.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrs. rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank-You for the nice suggestions.

Alaric.H----
Rt 17 is on our way south:) I'm trying to find a way to cut over to the Blue Ridge Hwy, I heard its beautiful, though we may be a bit late for the foliage.
going to be in Charlotte for thanks-giving. so maybe after that, heading south.

DAIZEE---
Rt. 98, from Pensacola to Louisiana is also on our way:) looking forward to hitting that road, sounds beautiful:) probably after the new-year.

pioneer1---
Charleston, and Savannah both in our plans. I have a friend in both places. Been looking forward for a long time to head that way. (glad I'm doing it in winter/fall, couldn't imagine summertime there...) ... so excited about the accents down there;). I LOVE them!

fredn-- Already booked a Group-on for an alligator farm, not sure its the same one though:)

Any Ideas for New years in FL? We are not Big Party people, so if you know of a nice quiet beach away from Drunken mobs... please give us a shout:)

kamzcab86--
Phoenix, AZ, very much in our plan. though not yet planned out! we have family in the area:) but We would love to get together with you. just send us your info:)

Any way, Thanks again for all your help! Smile see you in our posts...
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not vegans, then you must have some alligator. It is sooooo good. Had it the first time in Indian Town, Fl and discovered I like it very much.
Larry Davick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucy needs to have her picture taken on Lombard Street in San Francisco!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR SURE, I suspect downhill would be much more pleasant than uphill Laughing

Will you be able to go east to west on Galveston and the barrier island peninsula marking the south end of Bay of Corpus Christi? I camped (tent) on Mustang Island 2 days after H. Andrew. Wish now I had taken the time to see all the way to South Padre. I found along the coast more interesting than my time inland in Texas.

Last edited by DAIZEE on Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we stayed at Skidaway SP just outside Savannah one december,
was very nice and just outside of town to offer a good camping experiance and easy access to downtown Savannah.

http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland/

down in Florida we really like Fort DeSoto in St Petersburgh
it's a Pinellas county park but it's a spectacular beaches and campground if you can snag a site on the water
http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_ft_desoto.htm

it's popular so book early if you can. there's also a VW cmapout down there mid winter. have to search the events forum for the campout.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mrs. rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
If you are not vegans, then you must have some alligator. It is sooooo good. Had it the first time in Indian Town, Fl and discovered I like it very much.

We are most definitely NOT vegans, and are planning on croc for lunch one day:)

lucy's BIG adventure
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awww Australia has crocodiles, the south has alligators. Get some alligator first. It's a lonnnnnnnnnggggg trip to aussie land.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
awww Australia has crocodiles, the south has alligators. Get some alligator first. It's a lonnnnnnnnnggggg trip to aussie land.

been there and done that Very Happy i drove a '72 tin top bay, around OZ from aug '98 to feb '00
25k miles, i've eaten croc's and alligators, a kangaroo a week for 8 months when i was in OZ

i've yet to find an animal that i wouldn't consider eating Shocked
i don't eat veg, just meat, i eat the animal, not it's food

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

horse meat aka cherry meat is supposed to be very very succulent and extremely lean. Not real common in most of North American but some ethnic areas in Toronto do carry it. Never had kangaroo, what's it like.
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAIZEE wrote:
horse meat aka cherry meat is supposed to be very very succulent and extremely lean. Not real common in most of North American but some ethnic areas in Toronto do carry it. Never had kangaroo, what's it like.

horse meat is yummy, kangaroo has it's own distinct flavor, a very game'y taste, lots of people don't like it
i used to catch, kill, hang and butcher them myself in OZ, they consider them vermin, even though it's on their flag

in a nation park in perth WA, i had thoughts about eating koala, unfortunately for me, lucky for the koala, they are toxic, the ucualyptus trees they eat are toxic

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: