Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to do with a rotted 74 Super?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: What to do with a rotted 74 Super? Reply with quote

My father is the original owner of this car, but he parked it in 1984 and it has not moved under it's own power since then. It was in the garage for a couple years, then he had me pull it out to the driveway so my brother could convert the garage to an apartment. It has sat outdoors ever since and is completely rotten... the pans have even fallen down. The engine does not turn over, and the brake drums are stuck.
Only positive note I can see is that it's all original, and everything is there (sunroof and radio too) except the outside rearview mirrors which appear to be stolen.

Would it even be worthwhile listing here as a parts car?
Should I just pull the engine and trans and have him scrap the rest?

Paul
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just scrap the whole thing, a locked up motor, hasn't moved on it's own since 84 Shocked
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loqutis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how rotten is rotten. if it is just the floor pans and the motor that need replaced i see no reason to scrap it.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One man's trash ... yadda, yadda, yadda.

List it on the Samba and see if you get any interest. This could be ideal for someone trying to restore a similar car, especially if yours is all original. Even if it is too far gone to repair it could still be a good pattern to see how things are supposed to be, and could yield some small bits and pieces.

Also, does it have a title?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it to someone

Maybe they could get after it !

Jerry
7vw3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dash is in even half-way descent shape with no cracks, you shouldn't scrap it. Same with the frame head. There are a few parts on a Super that are either ridiculously expensive to replace, or are no longer made. just for those reasons some one should either come and save it, or take it apart and save those pieces.
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7vw3 wrote:
If the dash is in even half-way descent shape with no cracks, you shouldn't scrap it. Same with the frame head. There are a few parts on a Super that are either ridiculously expensive to replace, or are no longer made. just for those reasons some one should either come and save it, or take it apart and save those pieces.

Yea, how are the bumper shocks?

'74 Superbeetle (Family owned since new)
'73 181 Thing (sold)
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some pics soon. The body has no rust free panels except maybe the roof. I had to spray the door hinges with PB Blaster to even get them open.
He kept it in good shape and always got things fixed immediately, but that's a moot point since the whole car was let go. The dash is fine I think since all the glass is intact, and the bumper shocks too since he never had more than a fender bump in it.

Paul
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 74 SB had alot of one year only parts that are no longer available in the aftermarket or very hard to find. do some research before you decide to junk any parts. Im sure there are plenty of us on here that are looking for parts.

'73 181 Thing (sold)
marklock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maybe interested in some parts, let me know if you part it. Hell I may take the whole thing if the price is right.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXJAY wrote:
the 74 SB had alot of one year only parts that are no longer available in the aftermarket or very hard to find. do some research before you decide to junk any parts. Im sure there are plenty of us on here that are looking for parts.

Don't worry, I'm sensitive to junking usable items... I've watched parts I had been looking for get shredded before Crying or Very sad

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, my father was taken to emergency and admitted, and we've been dealing with that for the last week or so. However, he did confirm he will let the bug go. Here's some phone pics. I'll put up a FS ad in a few days if you guys think that's the best way to go.

Paul

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TurKuaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame to let her go after all these years. I have seen cars in far worst conditions being restored. I believe you can fix this yourself with a few tools and some helping hands.

How bad are the channels and floorpans? My bug had shit loads of rust when i stripped her down, I couldn't weld but I learnt. My old man is a car restorer so he helped when he could and I learnt alot from the guys on this forum.

If you are apt with tools and good with following instructions and want to keep this car in the family then I believe that it can be done with time, dedication and patient as well as a little money.

You are fortunate that you live in the states, parts are readily available and are at a reasonable price. It also seems that you have space in your yard which means you have somewhere to work. I suggest that you ask a local mechanic to take a look at the engine or open up another post requesting help on how to get her started.

I had the same problem you did and this link got my engine started:

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/eng_strt.htm

All the best with your decision, if you do let her go I do hope you wont scarp her but pass her on to some who would make use of her.

All the best.
EXJAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks borderline in my book to tackle a resto. Hows the floors/channels? Hopefully you will find it a good home but if you gotta scrap her be sure to remove alot of the OE pieces such as hubcaps, turn lens, trim, (those bumper rubber strips arnt cheap), and what ever is good inside. Im sure you could be a good donor to keep another SB on the road if anything.

'73 181 Thing (sold)
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This car has to have sedimental value or else you should not touch it !
For every dollar you put into it you’re going to get $.25 back.
I hope you have lots of money and you have some very excellent welding skills,-- and be a master body man and mechanic.
You are also going to need several years of work and a garage to do it in!
I see well over a thousand hours of free labor and well over $6,000 in materials

Good Luck

Jerry
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally a car in that shape is only worth repairing or restoring if you have a strong family attachment to it. Realize you will never get even 1/2 or 2/3's of your money back if you do fix it up, it will have to be done because you like the car and it's history.

If there isn't a strong family attachment to the car, sell it whole to someone who wants to tackle that project or part it out and scrap the rest.
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TurKuaz wrote:
I believe that it can be done with time, dedication and patient as well as a little money.

I agree with that, but he does not have money for parts or else it would be a driver right now. He's wanted to get it restored ever since the mid 80's, he even wanted to get the engine work done, but never could come up any money for parts due to health issues. However I'm glad we did not tear it down without funding, or else the title of this thread would be "What to do with boxes of scattered parts"

TurKuaz wrote:
You are fortunate that you live in the states, parts are readily available and are at a reasonable price. It also seems that you have space in your yard which means you have somewhere to work. I suggest that you ask a local mechanic to take a look at the engine or open up another post requesting help on how to get her started.

The space is in a place where any new parts would likely get stripped, and no tools could be kept there. As far as the engine is concerned; it's locked and will not turn over with a wrench on the crank pulley. The engine work is not a problem, as I'm a former racing mechanic and just rebuilt the 1600 DP in our Ghia which is running beautifully. That project took up what disposable income I had, and as it is, my paycheck supports my own family in addition to paying bills for my father and brother.

TurKuaz wrote:
All the best with your decision, if you do let her go I do hope you wont scarp her but pass her on to some who would make use of her.

I prefer to get her to someone who has the resources and ambition to either restore it or use the parts to keep another alive.

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMCarter1 wrote:
This car has to have sedimental value or else you should not touch it !
For every dollar you put into it you’re going to get $.25 back.

Although I rode all over the country in the back seat in this car, my father has the biggest emotional attachment and he's not long for this world, unfortunately. Restoring for profit would be a lost cause as you pointed out.

JerryMCarter1 wrote:
You are also going to need several years of work and a garage to do it in!
I see well over a thousand hours of free labor and well over $6,000 in materials

Good Luck

Jerry

No available garage space, and your estimate seems about right!

Paul
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXJAY wrote:
That looks borderline in my book to tackle a resto. Hows the floors/channels? Hopefully you will find it a good home but if you gotta scrap her be sure to remove alot of the OE pieces such as hubcaps, turn lens, trim, (those bumper rubber strips arnt cheap), and what ever is good inside. Im sure you could be a good donor to keep another SB on the road if anything.

The pans are gone, as are probably the heater channels. Roof and the deck lid are pretty solid though Laughing

If there are no takers of the complete car, and I have to scrap it, I'll be pulling parts and keeping the engine instead of letting someone run the whole thing through a shredder. If the engine case is not shot, it will be the foundation for a spare engine.

Paul
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my final my man!

I would never sell that car ----
-----------

absolutley never ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Jerry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: