Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI Panel Installation Question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: TMI Panel Installation Question Reply with quote

In the process of installing my new panels, I realized that they are not pre-drilled for the screws that attach them to the frame (the doors are pre-drilled for the door panel clips and there are holes drilled for the molding). First I wondered, why not? Then started imagining that perhaps the factory installers just used self tapping screws and more or less followed a pattern that might be off 1/4 here or there, thus TMI wouldn't have any idea where the OG holes were. Anyways, I'd like to hit those pre-existing factory holes right on. How would I do this? Am I being anal here? Do I just drill new holes with self-tapping screws? I realize that I could measure (and maybe that's the only answer), but if I'm off an 1/8", then the screw goes in a little crooked. Sadly I no longer have the OG panels to use as a template. Would appreciate hearing how others have tackled this.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try putting something like wooden stick matches in the holes and put alittle paint on the tips sticking out and line your panel up & push it on the door so the painted tips leave you marks. Then drill a small(really small) hole in the panel & use a straightened paper clip to put through the panel into the hole of the door to see how close you are. If you use finishing washers you can make the panel hole pretty big before it will be visible, so if your off a little you can widen the hole.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scampervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy way , make a hole finder
cut 2 strips of sheetmetal about 1/2 inch wide and maybe 6 inches or so long
place one on top of the other and drill a hole straight thru one end
seperate strips and stick a suitable sized pin (small rivet would work , maybe tackweld a pin) in 1 strip
re-align the strips and attach them at the undrilled/unpinned end however you like

you can then set the panel in place and locate the holes by going around the panel

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

black = holefinder
red = panel to match holes of
green = panel that needs holes
the.fordhams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my panels up to the place they go and then eyballed the left / right of the hole and put a pencil dot on the location. Then being anal I took the vernier calipers and confirmed the up down was in the exact location as this was harder to judge by eye. Drill a small hole. If the masonite is not drilled (although most of mine were) then I used a unibit to open the masonite a little from the backside. Secure the fasteners.

Using the original panels as templates did not work out too good for me - my panel must have shrunk or I was poor at marking the new holes - I was about 1/8th off and they were stretching the holes somewhat.

Measure twice cut once.

Have you got a one piece long panel? If so let me know how that fits for you - mine is about 2 inches too long for some weird reason.

Good luck,

Al
67 SO42 welding project
03 Eurovan Weekender
08 Touareg 2 V6

WANTED :
Bob King VW dealer Wilmington NC dealer tag surround and any Literature for 03 Weekender
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape together a couple pieces of butcher paper and holding that up with tape to the door, run a crayon over it.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tkfar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just traced panel onto craft paper, then cut it out and taped it to the door and used an ice pick to poke through door screw holes by feel. I then removed craft paper template and laid it back over the new panel and marked the icepick holes onto the new panel. I'm ready to drill the new holes now! I'm sure I'll be off a hair here and there but I think its probably the best and easiest way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a piece of tape at each hole and drew a line which would be perpendicular to the edge of the door panel and lined up with the screw hole. Then I drew a line across that one at 3/4" out from the hole. After offering up the door panel it was as simple as measuring down from the crossed line 3/4" and making a dot. The first dot that I made and screw that I installed was the one at the angle point on the top edge of the panel. It will suck in the panel and hold it at the same time so you can mark the other holes. Good luck.

If one of the holes is too big and the screw won't hold, put a piece of wire in the hole and the screw will grab. I had to use paper clips in a bunch of mine because of the enormous screws the PO used for the door panels

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: