Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Product review: Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Product review: Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Reply with quote

This stuff works. I found out the hard way after completing the install of the new exhaust system and finding that the flanges from the two crossover pipes are not parallel to the flange of the collector. I bolted everything up tight and still got an obvious and noisy exhaust leak. No way this would pass inspection.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unbolting again lets us see the obvious signs of leakage, the darker areas on the flange where the exhaust gases got by the gaskets.

Andy at the nearby Advance Auto recommended this stuff, saying some rod shop in town swears by it.

I masked off the flanges and the collector and heavily sprayed each, adding coats of the stuff to build up the thickness I needed to fill that gap, especially in the middle area.

Also sprayed both sides of the gaskets themselves. This stuff stays very thick and gooey so reassembly is tricky, but I got it together without making too much mess. With everything snugged back up it fired up with no hint of the previous leak. For about $8 a can, you almost can't go wrong with it. Saved the day for me.

While I was at it, I also made one of these firing order cards to mount on the airbox, from a suggestion by another Sambanista.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff.

I have used it for head gaskets!

Once on a dodge neon single cam for a customer with no money and I didn't trust the head surface. Laid a good 3 coats on the MLS gasket. 5 years later still holding strong.

Also on my turbo BMW M20 for added surface tension on the head gasket. Had a gasket fail from too much boost that pushed the compression ring into a water jacket. 20psi when a wastegate failed without any other engine damage!

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 2nd the usage on the copper spray, I used it on my rusty collector and it never leaked.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have gotten out a hammer and get the flanges close to flat then hit it with a belt sander to get them nice and flat. Idea
The goo isn't a bad idea but a nice mechanical fit is hard to beat.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at a Ford re-manufacturer plant and they used it on all water pump gaskets.

Good stuff.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrindGarage wrote:
Good stuff.

I have used it for head gaskets!

Once on a dodge neon single cam for a customer with no money and I didn't trust the head surface. Laid a good 3 coats on the MLS gasket. 5 years later still holding strong.

Also on my turbo BMW M20 for added surface tension on the head gasket. Had a gasket fail from too much boost that pushed the compression ring into a water jacket. 20psi when a wastegate failed without any other engine damage!

A'yup, it works great for headgaskets

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: