Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater core replacement
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea--

But there is no AC line's, a wad of finish screw's, or upholstery attached to the rear heater core--- Wink

Take the kick panel off, remove the cover, remove the hoses & the rear core.
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUiGGLLii wrote:
this is an easy job. it took me 4 hours to remove the whole entire AC unit. reinstalling the radiator seemed to be the hardest job to do but it still took less time in total than removing the rear heater core

SQUiGGLLii wrote:
it took so long because there where lots of finish screws and upholstery i had to take down then the unit itself had a dozen or so more inside..... plastic fused together. AC lines to pull electrical...

Squig, Are you working on the:

-heater box/heater core in the dashboard,
-the rear heater/heater core under the rear seat, or
-the AC unit/evaporator above the rear seat?

I'm confused.
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured rather then starting a new thread i'd post this here...

I'm getting steam on the windshield in the mornings till the engine gets to temp and loosing coolent...and have a slight coolent smell in the cabin. Core is about 2 years old, replaced by Hans VW along with all the lines. haven't been able to trace the suspect.

Anyone use the core that oreilly has?
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Mfr...mp;PTSet=A

I'm pretty scared buying anything from them and calling it near correct. $109 doesn't seem like a bad price, but I don't want to dig in my dash and to have the wrong part on hand.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That core your looking at won't even get close to fitting under your dash.

Why?

It's a rear heater core--look at the flanges on the side of it.

I have the rear core's for $85.00--

There are no front heater core's available at any local parts store's--anywhere.

If your looking for a new front core, I have them available for $298.00.

Take a look over in thesamba.com Vanagon want ad parts section.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenwilfy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Front Heater Core Reply with quote

That one that you posted the link to is the rear heater core and it will not work in the front. We sell these for $89 just in case you find you need a rear one. The front ones we have in all aluminum for $475. They are a very nice unit and I will put a picture in this post so you can see it. Let me know if you are interested in purchasing one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

John 3:16
www.vanagain.com
856-327-4936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, that figures.

I passed up an OEM one for $200 last week...lame.
semperFC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these for $50 plus shipping: Spectra 94652 heater core

I know the well heeled purist may be supercilious to this approach but I'm neither.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe has new Behr-made OEM style front heater cores in stock here: http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_525

I received mine a couple of weeks ago but I'm hoping that my old one will make it to spring! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davynavy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Vanagon radiator removal and replacement Reply with quote

to make a correction.
I personally changed the rear seat heater core, most of the various tubing following my inspection of engine to front, and replaced the front radiator. No leaks were found but I wanted to get a working fan in the front blower, and since I smelled some coolant from time to time I suspect the front dash heater core has a small leak-but have never since exp tank drop other than a very low rate over the course of the summer. With the new AVP engine started this 'bubble in the expansion tank' issue....on long trips, and I do think the head is suspect. Question is how to isolate which side of engine and get it working to full potential. thanks all for any suggestions

Last edited by davynavy on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon radiator removal and replacement Reply with quote

<<I am looking to do my front heater core, fan and valve.>>

Why are you looking for it?
Don't look at it--just do it.

<<The fan has never worked since I bought this from an artist a few years back, and I have smelled some coolant over the years.>>

The starving artist obviously didn't need any heat--or any money to get the job done.
He just passed it off to the next unsuspecting buyer.
That's you.
If you smell coolant as your driving it could be coming from two of 27 different places.
I'll narrow it down --- the front or rear heater core.
You have to figure out which--
Put some pressure on the system and find out where.

<<The one disturbing thing is following the new rebuild I put in last summer I keep getting gas showing up in my system after longer drives (bleed some from front heater, <<but also see bubbles coming up into that extra plastic tank in the back for expansion, it has even gone to high level on a really long drive). I have bandaided by bleeding off but I have to either find the leak in the system (Front core suspected since everything else has been redone by me or my mechanic) or else my rebuild AVP is leaking by on the head gasket.>>

The "Extra Tank" is the fill or overflow tank.
If your seeing bubbles in a tank, it would be your expansion tank, and that would immediatly tell me you've got a leaking head gasket--not the head seal--the copper ring sealing the top of the cylinders to the head---

And here may be the demon--AVP.

You never mentioned what the engine temperature was as the coolant was foaming into the fill tank as you were hill climbing.

May not be the thermostat, might be the coolant can't recover as it passes through the radiator.
If the starving artist didn't attend to the front heater motor, I doubt he properly maintained the coolant system.
Might be a half choaked up radiator.

<<Do you know how to tell the difference between the two ( to isolate which)?>>

A cooling system pressure test will tell you right now.

PS---the front heater core will not create any bubbles in the expansion tank.

<<I have a good local mechanic>>

If he was that good, he would have put a pressure test to the cooling system a long time ago, to pin point the problem.

Time to call AVP for some warrantee work---
After your trusted mechanic determines that the cooling system is all up to snuff & working as it should be.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bus Depot has them available for shipping. Fred confirmed it with me when I placed my order to replace my blocked one. All metal OEM - part number 251265303C

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251265303C
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an OE core, not OEM.

OEM's are NLA, and have been for some time from VW parts.

The OP hasn't responded to his operating temps while hill climbing yet--still waiting---
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
That's an OE core, not OEM.

OEM's are NLA, and have been for some time from VW parts.

The OP hasn't responded to his operating temps while hill climbing yet--still waiting---

His van lost all his coolent, overheated in the hills...and while hitch hiking in the mountian passes to find a tow truck a pack of wild wolves attacked him, he has yet to report back.

Laughing

I might get the BD one, plus you can save a little with a coupon code Smile
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard anything this funny since the Pigs ate my brother.

If your looking for a light duty aftermarket core--yea, I'd go with the BD's unit.

If it was me looking for a standard heater core I'd be contacting the Van Cafe--better outfit that know's what their selling.

If your looking for something heavier duty, that will stand the test of time, the one I have manufactured by far is the bigger bang for the buck.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, The core shown on Bus Depot's page is directly from VW = OEM. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl,

I think not.

It's "an improved design" which is identical to the Behr unit.
Isn't that truely amazing.

I wouldn't take everything verbatum over there in The Barn of PA's catalog.
That is a Behr OE core as big as a pig in shit.

VW had one and only one core available, and if there was a new & improved one--VW parts would have it.
Nupe--they are still NLA here as well in Deutschland, through VW.

There are 3 metal cores available right now.
Behrs
Mine
John 3:16's aluminum unit.
That's it.

It's a Ronnie miracle in his catalog "New & improved OE," the same as what the Van Cafe is selling--a Behr Unit.

Last edited by Terry Kay on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van Cafe
Quote:
After VW deleted the original front heater cores, we thought we would never see them again from an OE source, but we were wrong. These quality front heater cores are made by Behr out of UK. Limited quantity available - get yours now! (Please note that Behr is an original equipment supplier for VW but was not the original equipment supplier for this part 20+ years ago)
It's $209.50, includes two screw clamps.

Bus Depot
Quote:
Heater Core
Front, 83-91 Vanagon. Genuine VW, with improved design over the original (all metal core and fittings, not plastic).

Part Reference Number*: 251265303C
Brand: Volkswagen/Germany*
Availability: Usually ships in 1-3 working days (sooner if ordered via air shipment)
It's $279.50

Source: http://vwpartsdepartment.com/ under Classic Parts section
Cost $160.90
Did not check availability - local dealer shows obsolete
YMMV
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:

Cost $160.90
YMMV

I guess that puts the question to bed - BD is most likely buying direct from VW, hence their statement of 'VW/Germany'. VW Classic parts is exactly what I was referring to when the mods here removed my last post - I saw and handled many new 'obsolete' parts last spring at Syncro 25-years in Germany. What was obsolete yesterday might not necessarily be so today. It's quite amazing that VW is stepping up to reproduce a lot of vintage parts we still need for the T3/Vanagon.
SyncroGiraffe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about troubleshooting my front heater.

I took my van up to Summit County, Colorado, from the Denver metro area a week or two ago. On the drive up the front heater worked fine. When we got up to the ski resort I noticed that the coolant level had dropped (I'm chasing leaky hose clamps as the source of the coolant leak, but I'm not 100% confident they are the only source). On the drive home the front heater would not put out any heat at all, just blew very cold air the whole time.

I'm curious... the drive to Denver from Summit County is mostly down hill, and my coolant level was low, but the engine temp never got over about 1/3 of the gauge. Is it possible that I just need to refill and bleed the coolant system to have the front heater work again? I haven't tried driving the van since that happened for fear of causing damage to something. I know the coolant level is low, so I definitely need to top it off.

What steps should I take to figure out what else is going wrong? I read someone above say to check the wire that controls the shutoff valve, so I assume that would be step 2 (after topping off the coolant). How would I check the thermostat? How would I check to see if the heater core has failed?
Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm a relatively new Vanagon owner and a somewhat inexperienced mechanic, although I have partially rebuilt the engine in my Jeep and can read a shop manual.
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:

Cost $160.90
YMMV

I guess that puts the question to bed - BD is most likely buying direct from VW, hence their statement of 'VW/Germany'. VW Classic parts is exactly what I was referring to when the mods here removed my last post - I saw and handled many new 'obsolete' parts last spring at Syncro 25-years in Germany. What was obsolete yesterday might not necessarily be so today. It's quite amazing that VW is stepping up to reproduce a lot of vintage parts we still need for the T3/Vanagon.

Not to add fuel to TK's fire - but BD did not even know they had switched over to Behr units. Got a credit when I called them.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: