Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v Christmas lights in my bug.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

torsionbar wrote:

your analogy is one of the most preposterous and nonsensical analogies i have ever read here on the samba. really. you ought to be congratulated for coming up with that. thanks for the laughs!

Funny, I thought the same thing about your water to ice analogy. The electrical conversion is instant, so the water to ice thing isn't at all the same.

I would agree with you if we were talking about lots of power, but in this instance the amount of power, and power lost in the conversion, is insignificant. Seriously. Plug in inverter. Plug in lights. Done. You will almost burn more calories hacking the 120 volt LED string than burn with the inverter. I run LED holiday lights for DAYS on my RV and the batteries don't notice it at all. Can't even see the amount of power used on my guages.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
torsionbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bensherb wrote:
Wow, you missed the point entirely. It has nothing to do with power transmission at all, but with conversion.

you brought it up. and it being irrelevant to this discussion is exactly what i just said. sigh. Rolling Eyes

bensherb wrote:
Simply put , it's common to change power from DC to AC, AC to DC, and back again. We all do it regularly weather we know it or not. It's no big deal.

speak for yourself. no, it isn't common to do a double conversion at the point of use. perhaps you do it regularly and unknowingly, out of ignorance. those of us who know better do not perform pointless double conversions.

those little automotive inverters are for people who don't understand how electricity works, and all they understand is how to "plug it in".

Q-Dog wrote:

I would agree with you if we were talking about lots of power, but in this instance the amount of power, and power lost in the conversion, is insignificant. Seriously. Plug in inverter. Plug in lights. Done. You will almost burn more calories hacking the 120 volt LED string than burn with the inverter. I run LED holiday lights for DAYS on my RV and the batteries don't notice it at all. Can't even see the amount of power used on my guages.

that's an rv. rv electrical system is designed for running electrical loads for days, so that isn't an effective comparison. in practice, yes, a 10 watt string of led's will work just fine in a car on an inverter. i never said it wouldn't. the only thing i'm asserting is that performing the double conversion is pointless and silly.

burning calories? if your main goal is to reduce the amount of effort you expend on any given task, perhaps an aircooled vw was not the best choice of a car. these cars are not for those who are afraid to get their hands dirty.

[air cooled vw's] are no longer suitable for the general public. The owner has to be be able to maintain the car. And that is after fixing all the deferred maintenance items and ill-conceived modifications. If you can't do those things you are pretty much screwed.
skaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow interesting points,, sound like Christmas dinner with distant relatives....Lol hey what if I run the wire from the christmas lights in line with my speaker wire will they blink to the beat? no need to answer im gonna make it happen,,,lol keep on keepin on!
Starr1969
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a string of lights today. Used the LED outside lights and a power inverter. Added a wreath too. I feel so festive.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take that car out and do 80 with those lights!
cferry7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Christmas Lights Reply with quote

Great Idea !

I'd Love To See More Beetles with Christmas Light - Pictures !
As the Holiday Nears I might get the Bug To Add Christmas Lights
To My Bug ! ! !
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarlIseminger wrote:
...Just have to figure out how to get a power source back there that turns on and off with the key (I don't want to overload the ignition wire).

If your car has an internal regulator alternator you could install a relay in the engine compartment triggered by your ignition coil wire - it could be used to power the ignition coil and the Christmas lights - just run a 10-12gauge power from the B+ to the relay, should be adequate for quite a bit of lighting.

...but if you ever wanted to show the lights off without the car running, for more than just a brief moment, you'd want to disconnect power to the ignition coil in the engine bay, as you'd run the risk of burning up your points.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bug is a '68 with the generator. I have thought of running a relay off the coil wire and running a "power" wire to the relay from the starter. Just have to get under there and "do it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banditwolf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pick up some lights after christmas to use next year. I just got a 100W power inverter so I'll be good to go next year.
(can't drive it yet, needs work yet)
JerryMCarter1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of thumb--
(1) never wire anything into the ign system

Jerry
Chris Vellat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryMCarter1 wrote:
Rule of thumb--
(1) never wire anything into the ign system

Jerry

Unless it's a fuse and/or relay Wink
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 12v Christmas lights in my bug. Reply with quote

I have 7 strands of the 100 lights...I want to outline the body of my bug, fenders and running boards ect....what can I use to get the lights to stick in places that are hard to get the lights to stay but wont ruin my paint trying to get it off after the holiday season
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Christmas lights in my bug. Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
I have 7 strands of the 100 lights...I want to outline the body of my bug, fenders and running boards ect....what can I use to get the lights to stick in places that are hard to get the lights to stay but wont ruin my paint trying to get it off after the holiday season

Same question... How do I mount the lights without damaging the body/paint. No roof rack.
AutoMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v Christmas lights in my bug. Reply with quote

FlyAU98 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:

Same question... How do I mount the lights without damaging the body/paint. No roof rack.

Maybe some non residue duck tape? I used that on mine and it didn’t hurt the paint.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: