Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noise in New CV Drive Axle. Anything to Check?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Noise in New CV Drive Axle. Anything to Check? Reply with quote

I just bought and installed one of these complete CV Drive Axles for my '87 Westy from GW:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3735

I had a noise on left hand turns with acceleration from the old CV. I decided to give the complete GW axle/CV assembly a try. I liked the ease of install, and I wanted the ability to rebuild my old one at a leisurely pace.

The old noise is gone, but it has been replaced with a fairly loud growl and muted click every time I make a hard left turn (u-turns, tight parking lot turns, driveway maneuvers). It happens with or without my foot on the accelerator. In all other driving situations it's great.

The install was super easy and textbook. The axle/CV assembly is EMPI brand. Quality looks decent. It comes pre-loaded with grease and ready to bolt on. I inspected the grease job, and it looked very thorough. I added a bit of Redline CV grease to the ends for good measure. I used all new bolts and washers from GW. Bolts are all still tightened to proper torque using a torque wrench.

I'm on stock springs with Bilstein HD shocks. 15" alloys with Nokian WRC Van tires. Rear wheel inward tilt shows 3.9 degrees off of vertical for the left and 4.3 off vertical for the right measured with a digital angle finder. Ride height is 15 3/4" on left and 16" on right.

Is there anything I should check before I complain to GW and ask for a new one?

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had my left axle replaced with a resulting click...click..click.
There are posts talking about slight differences in axle lengths. One post suggested pushing the boots towards the ends and securing them to apply minimally, more tension to keep the axles from touching when they wander with rotation. That's what I did; using zip ties instead of clamps, to reduce rotational imbalance. Worked like a charm. "shade tree" mechanic" stuff that drive the purists nuts. Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard this complaint several times from people who buy complete axle assemblies. I just presume it's a quality problem.

With the original joints lasting so long, like 300,000+ miles if kept clean and well lubricated, it is just hard for me to justify using anything else.
reluctantartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the after market CV's seem to be a few thousandths of an inch thinner than the Lobro CVs and also fit loosely on the axle. That click sound may be the axle banging against the transmission or hub. My axles were messed up that way. Lobros only for me now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: