Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty vs Van-Cafe springs
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: springs Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus springs on shocks puts to much load on to the shock mount. I have go westy on my van love them. I have a westy but it is only a tin top. So not to much weight , the ride is great. 1 vote go westy. Dancing thought I would add no stability problems, Actually I think its better in side winds. Go Westy 2 inch lift.
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aside from ride quality at the loaded end of the travel on the springs, has anyone that has lifted their vans had issues with them being too high, and feeling tippy or less stable? I'm interested in lifting mine when I add a Peloquin, but don't want to create an unstable monster....?
mwsnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never buy 2WD lift springs again. I have the Syncro.org/Van Cafe springs, and do not like the effects on handling. The added height does make if feel less stable, especially in strong winds. The springs are on the stiff side for the available shocks. Even the Bilstein HD shocks are marginal for these springs. They begin sagging in the rear very shortly after installation. Mine are shimmed with cutting board circles to equalize the height at all four corners. I would really like a set of stiffer stock-height springs that are purpose-built for a diesel Westy with its extra-heavy left rear corner.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackDogVan wrote:
I installed the GW springs a while back and absolutly love them. Other than the ride quality one of the best benefits for diesel conversion types is they allow large enough tires to be installed to put a TDi or AAZ in the perfect rpm range without any costly tranny mods. (225-70-17's to be exact & no they don't rub & yes I do have 3/8" spacers up front, 1/4" out back)
One question I have for anyone who has them... Every now & then over a nasty speed bump at parking lot speeds the shock tops out making a nice deep bang noise. I have stock rear shocks & HD Bilstens up front. I know the cure is probably bilstens in the rear, i'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. It is a transporter & I imagine a westie's added weight would make a difference.

I have freshly installed Gws with the balljoint spacers.

First couple speedbumps.. I have noticed this bang.

and I'm not talkin that rendition of "she bangs" by William Hung..

I'd worried that something ill could occur with that level of force on various suspension components...

Perhaps I need new hydraulics.

It is very lifted though.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
First couple speedbumps.. I have noticed this bang.

Likely the shocks are bottoming out.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with this too. Check that your shocks are *tight*. I had this horrible noise for 2-3 days before I could check. One of the shocks, at the top mount, took half a turn to make it *tight*. FYI
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed any stability issues that concern me with the GoWesty lift springs and Bilstein HD shock combo. I like the extra height for off-road needs and enjoy the higher ride. If I were to do it again I'd do the same combo over again. GoWesty has the 15% off this weekend, not sure if it applies to springs though.
chazmataz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had the GW 1.5 2wd lift springs in for over a month now and love them. in my opion it made my van more stable then it was with the old springs. FYI, my van is an 86 full camping westy w/175,000 plus miles. i like how high it rides for future off pavement driving and camping it also made the 215/75-15 goodrich a/t not hit the fender wells as before.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just cant get enough of them..

Not that I want my suspension too rigid.. but I do want some sways and all urethane too.

Yea on the hydraulics, they're very tight as far as how new they are.. they came from the PO. Unknown. I had intended to proactively replace them in the spring.
TristanJP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: GW zero lift vs 1.5" lift vs VC 2wd springs Reply with quote

It looks as though this thread hasn't been written on for some time. I've read all 4 pages currently available and dating back to 2008or9 and I'm guuessing some of the products have changed. Pricing appears to be lower than one quote I saw on this thread.

The reason I'm writing is because I did the unfortunate thing of lowering my van, far too low! I'm now interested in purchasing new springs. I still have the original Westy springs and the cheap side of me says just put those back in but I'm guessing they are likely saggy.

I'd like to get maximum lift out of my Westy, for logging roads and such, but still need it to fit in to my garage as well as others found here in Vancouver.

Can anyone comment on the current springs offered by gowesty and vancafe?

Also, if you can tell me what springs you are running, rim size and over all roof height I'd greatly appreciate it!

I'm currently running 16" rims w low profile tires and will probably swap them out for something more rugged.

Thank you in advance.

Tristan
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking up this thread when Tristan posted ~

I am also in the market to get a little lift on the '84 westy and have considered the GoWesty 1.5" lift for 2WD. This thread among others have said the VC springs are too soft...

Another option that has been recommended is to use syncro rear springs, and '85 westy front springs. I've considered going this way since the GoWesty springs have gotten less than stellar reviews, especially for heavier westys with conversions, but I too am concerned that I would just be trading one set of '84 worn out springs for another set of '85 worn out springs...

Anyone with experience with this option? How worn out and saggy do the springs get?
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the most recent version of the Van Cafe (syncro.org) springs.

There is a lot of info here, especially towards the end.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499853&highlight=suspension

I can give you more info about my particular set up if needed but that thread contains most of it.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
This thread among others have said the VC springs are too soft...

Not the case (so far) for the newest version that I have installed in my westy. If something, they fall on the stiff side.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
heidi85ho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the newer synco.org springs, koni shocks, and nokian tires. I could not be happier. Stiff enough to handle a fully loaded camper in strong winds at highway speeds, comfortable enough to run around town with guests.
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madspaniard, which VC springs do you have? My 86 Westy has stock springs with Koni shocks. I like the ride, but wouldn't mind better handling and a slightly lower stance (my Westy just, and I mean just, clears my garage door opening).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Madspaniard, which VC springs do you have? My 86 Westy has stock springs with Koni shocks. I like the ride, but wouldn't mind better handling and a slightly lower stance (my Westy just, and I mean just, clears my garage door opening).

these ones

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_837_533/2wd_springs.html

Their latest version came out in late June and I instelled them shortly after.

From the other thread

madspaniard wrote:

No affiliation to vanCafe or Syncro.org, just chasing my suspension nirvana here.

As far as I know, what has changed from the previous version of these springs is:

front springs: thicker spring wire, same spring rate
rear springs: slightly stiffer spring rate

The fronts are hot wound, the rears are cold wound and made of chrome silicon.

I have Knoni shocks and 15" Nokian WRC tires

Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
911pickup wrote:

these ones

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_837_533/2wd_springs.html

Their latest version came out in late June and I instelled them shortly after.

From the other thread

madspaniard wrote:

No affiliation to vanCafe or Syncro.org, just chasing my suspension nirvana here.

As far as I know, what has changed from the previous version of these springs is:

front springs: thicker spring wire, same spring rate
rear springs: slightly stiffer spring rate

The fronts are hot wound, the rears are cold wound and made of chrome silicon.

I have Knoni shocks and 15" Nokian WRC tires

These are the same springs I installed this spring. I have Koni Shocks with 15" wheels and 215 75 15 BFG's. I had to add a couple of spacers to the top to the front shocks to keep the BFG's from hitting the wheel well. I also have ADDCO Sway bars front and rear. My van handles great. The VC springs are not to soft, and for the first time since I have owned it I can ride along behind a Semi truck without being blown all over the road.

It definitely is taller than stock but not as high as the 1-1/2" lift springs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a Subaru conversion soon, likely 2.5.

Given the extra weight, can I use GW 2wd lift springs in back with spacers (?), or should I use their 4wd lift springs instead?
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same question with mine. I have an '84 with a 2.5l conversion. Small Car says that it is approximately 100# heavier. GoWesty advises try the 2WD lift springs first, and then if it sags in back, put in spacers.

I think the 4WD would be too high regardless and you'd have to make other changes to your front end to deal with it...
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for springs for my 1985 camper. In this thread on 1/8/2008, Christopher Schimke wrote glowingly of GoWesty's cold wound springs over the competition's hot wound springs. GoWesty's site now says their springs are "ultra-modern, hot wound" springs. Are hot wound springs now considered better or were the cold wound springs just too expensive?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: