Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a Real Manx?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Is this a Real Manx? Reply with quote

This didn't get any responses in the sticky up top, so I'll post it here. Supposedly this is a real Manx- can anyone verify that?

Thanks!

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Hey Guys:

I'm working on this for a friend and he does not know what type of tub it is. Can anyone ID the mfr?

All I know is that it is on a '59 pan and titled as a 71 Dune Buggy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's actually in great shape with the original gelcoat only showing some sunburn. The chassis has been well maintained over the years. The vinyl top would probably cost some serious cash to have made today.....

THANKS!

'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PONGOK910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, Go over to the meyers manx club site. There you will find the list of things to look at, for manx identification. Ultimately you can send them pics, a couple specific angles of your buggy, and they will can give an answer. Either way, enjoy it.
Paul
French_Fry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a manx to me, but yeah the manx club website will help out Very Happy

Photos - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 72d1efc23c
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell by those two pics, but if it isn't a genuime Manx it looks like an exact copy.

I assume you've looked for an id tag or four rivet holes where it could have been?

Other pointers could be if the dash is made of ABS plastic, gennie ones were (unless it's a Manx II but that's hard to tell without better pics of the dash, front hood and rear underseat area) but most copies used fiberglass. Also, Meyers Manx kits generally came with brackets to mount the body from the rear shock tower to the rear body tub and from the front suspension beam to the body at the front of the gas tank. Kits came with front and rear badges and if your body is gel coat then it looks like it's never had any fitted.

There's always the chance that it was an 'after-hours' Manx... a few escaped from the factory at weekends and at night without tags.

It looks like a nice find all the same and you'll have just as much fun with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it could be a mod but the cutout behind the license plate isn't cut out. I haven't seen that on a real Meyers. Anyone else?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
I guess it could be a mod but the cutout behind the license plate isn't cut out. I haven't seen that on a real Meyers. Anyone else?

I couldn't quite tell that from the pics on my v. small screen. I thought that the infill panel was body color, my mistake maybe.

Last edited by manxdavid on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It think its just a panel attached there and painted the same color as the body.
bim55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say No, it's clearly not a Manx, but so what. Drive it and enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anything that clearly says it isn't a Manx. Its the right shape, it has a small bump on the nose and both a battery and spare tire wells. Like David says, does it have an ABS dash and also does it have the correct reinforcing tubes?

However, the one thing about it that makes me doubtful is the purple color. He said that's the original gel coat. The picture lighting isn't very good but I don't believe its metal flake. The only solid Meyers Manx colors were Tangerine Red, Yuma Yellow, Royal Blue, Corinthian White, Lime Green, Dark Green and Competition Orange.

If that's the original gel coat and its a solid purple, then its not a Meyers Manx. If its a metal flake, then it could be.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: