Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

That noise can't be good
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

I noticed an awful screeching sound coming from my motor the other day. Sounds very much like the metal on metal sound of squealing breaks. I can only hear the noise when the engine is at idle. I drove my Æ71 Westy into work today, and I noticed that the sound is getting worse. However, there is no noticeable performance loss or change in drivability yet. When I parked the car, I went to the back to see if I could isolate where the noise is coming from. The screeching is nearly deafening from under the car. It sounds like it is either coming from inside the block or the heads. I am pretty sure the problem is fatal, but I just do not know what it is. Any ideas?
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

If it sounds that bad your best plan is just pull it apart. I'm sure that it will be obvious once to get into it. Good Luck-Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

Before it does more damage. -Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

Check your belt for slippage first. Could be a throwout bearing also. Good luck.
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

If it is the Trowout Bearing, will the noise change when I push in the clutch?
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

I think I may have found a clue. I just discovered an oil leak, which appears to be coming from the vicinity of the #3 cylinder. I suspect the pushrod tubes are leaking. Could this cause the pushrods to make a funny squeaking noise?
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:17 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

Maybe if the pushrod tube is obviously bent inward, and rubbing against the moving pushrod but unless you don't have your tin on there it would be hard for something to hit and bend it that much. I would check into the throwout bearing and clutch components. One more idea is to check your fan something could have loosened up and your fan is rubbing in the fan shroud which will make a loud noise!! Good luck.. anthony
Juancho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

I am pretty sure the clutch is fine. The transmission is new, and the sound doesn't change when I push the clutch in. I am starting to think that it may just be a loose heater box bracket, or a loose exhaust bracket. Or maybe I am just in denial, and want to believe it is one of these things. Either way, I will check the engine over from top to bottom this weekend, tightening all the bolt and brackets. Thanks to everyone for your help.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:01 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

I had a terrible screeching from a fan inside the shroud on my 69 912. It could be you are hearing the noise thru the outs on the fan housing.It is a much cheaper fix than pulling the engine apart.

Good Luck.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

You don't have a spare motor for that 912 do you? Looking for a project motor.

Mike K
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: That noise can't be good Reply with quote

No, sorry...no 912 motor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: