Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hardtop interior setup
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone taken out the z bed and built someone different? I would like to have more space/storage and am beginning to think this might be the only solution. I just can't quite envision what should be built in its place.

any ideas?

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admired your van as I was passing it when you were in Flagstaff. I was also leaving Paul's as you were pulling up one day. I really wanted to stop and check out the interioe. I really dig the roof set up. I live down the road from here you were staying in Flagstaff. Safe travels
tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you would be amazed how much more the Westfalia rear bench/bed has for storage than the GL/Weekender rear bench/bed.

My suggestion is to take a Stock Westy rear bench and a sheet of 3/4" oak plywood. copy the design and use the westy hinges to make it into a full width westy bench.
you'd get a whole lot of more useful storage that way.

some other suggestions involve serious body modifications for added useable space.

Ooh,
one idea I'd seen and am planning todo to help tidy up the camper is to essentially build a raised floor (soda crate upside down will do) on the Pass side front seat floor for small items.. the one I saw was for their flipflops,sandles/watershoes
it's amazing how handy it is to not have those items in the way or underfoot.

vermontgirl wrote:
Has anyone taken out the z bed and built someone different? I would like to have more space/storage and am beginning to think this might be the only solution. I just can't quite envision what should be built in its place.

any ideas?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronicity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been tempted to install 2 of these guys in our hard top.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=465549
Or as one of the posters stated, you can always pull the front seat and turn it around. Haven't tried that yet. Anyone?
________oo_oo
/ /__/___[_____\
I I======[]IIIII[]
()_)------()_)----)_)
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
I admired your van as I was passing it when you were in Flagstaff. I was also leaving Paul's as you were pulling up one day. I really wanted to stop and check out the interioe. I really dig the roof set up. I live down the road from here you were staying in Flagstaff. Safe travels
tony

Thanks for saying that, Tony. I think I remember seeing you as I went to Paul's that day... sorry we never had the chance to meet while I was in Flag. Plan on going back perhaps in the spring.. hopefully we'll cross paths.

Best.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you would be amazed how much more the Westfalia rear bench/bed has for storage than the GL/Weekender rear bench/bed.

My suggestion is to take a Stock Westy rear bench and a sheet of 3/4" oak plywood. copy the design and use the westy hinges to make it into a full width westy bench.
you'd get a whole lot of more useful storage that way.

some other suggestions involve serious body modifications for added useable space.

Ooh,
one idea I'd seen and am planning todo to help tidy up the camper is to essentially build a raised floor (soda crate upside down will do) on the Pass side front seat floor for small items.. the one I saw was for their flipflops,sandles/watershoes
it's amazing how handy it is to not have those items in the way or underfoot.

vermontgirl wrote:

any ideas?

so, if I do this, I will have some room on the driver side of the bed because typically there are cabinets there? Is that the idea?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: