Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old Surf Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get ahold of Rich call the shop in Seal Beach CA. They will get the message to him. He is no longer shaping and building full time. We're friends and my son used to surf for his team. Also, he has a facebook page and if you friend him you can send a message that way because he gets on there quite a bit. But if it was me I would just do it and ask for forgiveness later if needed.

By the way, that photo is from a surf trip to Baja California Mexico.

KamperKitJay wrote:
speaking of old surf buses, I came accross the Harbour surfboards bus in an article in a longboard magazine awhile back and thought it would be cool to duplicate the logos on mine because its the same color....I contacted Rich Harbour and asked him if I could do it but got no response back...Oh well
Anyway just my 2 cent story....hey post more pics of that bus!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Happy New Year!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we ever find out any more from Greg Noll/Austarlia?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Cosa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who has that picture of Greg Noll? If you have the original it's worth money! Greg had shops in Hawaii and California. I understand there is a surf museum in California with a lot of Greg memorbilia.
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Cosa wrote:
Who has that picture of Greg Noll? If you have the original it's worth money! Greg had shops in Hawaii and California. I understand there is a surf museum in California with a lot of Greg memorbilia.

There's a surf museum at Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz.

http://www.santacruzsurfingmuseum.org/

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanchodosrojo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Cosa wrote:

I believe that photo is in the Leroy Grannis collection. He was the photographer. Either he or Greg Noll. Here's a little info: http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/th...f-culture/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpribanic wrote:
There's a surf museum at Steamer Lane in Santa Cruz.

http://www.santacruzsurfingmuseum.org/

And one in Oceanside. Laughing

http://www.surfmuseum.org/

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dragsters for life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a friend of mines dad purchased the aussaie surf bus in the early 60s and traveled the world in it

he sold it in the states in 1966 and has never seen it since, he nly has one pic of it

dragsters for life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had started a thread but was directed here, cheers for that

Quote:
my wife was over at a friend of ours today with the kids for a swim

she got talking to the father of our friends, they were chatting vws as he travelled around the world in a vw back in the 60s

he himself has no photos of the bus till recently when he met a photographer whom had 1 shot of his old bus

my wife took a pic as he was wondering if its still about

he purchased the high top bus in the early 60s and took the thing around the world with him starting in the UK his not too sure of the year but in the early 60s, travelled the world and sold the bus in 1966 in the states

heres the only pic he has of the bus

just wondering if anyone out there know of this bus or even some others whom have owned the bus and if its even still around

hope some of you out there can give us some history on the bus as we are now curious

cheers
dragsters for life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Old Surf Bus Reply with quote

bigbulli wrote:
Does anyone know the story of this bus? I got pics of it on Newquay, England in the 60's and here it is in 65 in the US at Greg Nolls factory! Must be some amazing story if they travelled all over in this bus to surf!

thats my mates dad on the left, thank you for posting this pic as he now has a pic of him with the bus

gotta love the samba

his the one on the far left and his name was john trivett, he painted the bus and is from victoria australia

ill go have a chat to him about the bus
Johnny Trivett
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: THAT"S OUR SURF COMBI in 1965!! Reply with quote

I'm John Trivett, the 1 on the left of the bus in this pic, Greg Noll center and Ronny Christie on the right!

So we came across your query regarding this Surf Combi...

We brought the Combi in Brixton London in 1965.
It use to belong to the Secretary of the British Camping Association, and he modified it to what it is.

We then started off on our journey around England, Scotland and Europe!
We then put it on a ship in Liverpool to Montreal, and then we toured Canada and the States.

Leaving it in California with pro female surfer, Marge Calhoun from Laguna Beach, to then on sell.
I painted the Combi over the entire period of the trip, which was about 12 months on a surfing safari!

There will be a story in an Australian Surfing magazine within the next few months about the whole trip!
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked nice Very Happy

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
RHD Notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to hear more history of this bus...hopefully it didn't die a violent death. Sure be nice to see someone track it down if more info becomes available from the people that had something to do with the sale of it here in the U.S.

Marge Calhoun would have to be close to ninety years old if she's still alive...sounds like the bus was left with her to sell? Thanks Johnny Trivett and 'dragsters for life' for adding all that info to this thread Very Happy

Imagine the feeling of stripping back an aftermarket paint job to find all that signage staring you in the face Shocked
I have some other projects I'd like to finish first and I want to drive this bus while I'm working on those to help stay motivated.
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this PM from Ron Christie

"John Trivett & I travelled UK, Europe & America in 1965 surfing the world. We sold it in California and went to Hawaii then home to Australia. "

Cool Cool Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: THAT"S OUR SURF COMBI in 1965!! Reply with quote

Johnny Trivett wrote:
I'm John Trivett, the 1 on the left of the bus in this pic, Greg Noll center and Ronny Christie on the right!

At your collective feet, eyes never raised, rocking forward hands forward and up, chanting, "Not worthy not worthy". Your collective stoke is enough to create a black hole into a parallel universe. Legend isn't a strong enough word.
bigbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Old Surf Bus Reply with quote

Taken from Facebook post by Randy Nauert.

"In 1965 Aussies John Trivett [Roslyn Trivett is John's wife] and Ron Christie, from Victoria, went around the World in a VW Kombi appearing on our TV show "Surfs Up with Stan Richards and The Challengers Band " in February. I'm the Challengers bass player.
Top photo is on the KHJ TV set for our show, Melrose Avenue in Hollywood. We played with many artists here on Saturdays for "Hollywood a Go Go" Sundays was "Surfs Up"
John Trivett did all the art on the VW van, and he drove it. His diary, from their travels, will be serialised in Pacific Longboarder magazine
www.pacificlongboarder.com over a few issues. (It is a fascinating great read.)
Bottom photo is at the Greg Noll Factory, Hermosa Beach ~ 1965
The pair of Australian surfers drove this Westfalia Kombi throughout Europe before shipping it over to pay homage to surf mecca. -photo LeRoy Grannis.
"The gloss (text that ran with the top photo): John on set for Stan Richard's "Surf's Up with the Challengers Band" -the hit TV show out of Los Angeles.
A radio DJ from New Jersey, Stan was a major ham who knew very little about surfing (he once asked surf journeyman Bob Feigel, "can a goofy foot do the hotdog, and if so, what foot does he use?"), but TV was a surfing wasteland in 1965 and "Surf's Up" rated through the roof on both coasts of the US and Australia. It featured clips from the latest surf movies, in-studio interviews, Q&A sessions with the studio audience and phone-in viewers (notice Stan with the dial up telephone), and live house-band The Challengers (band).
The boys from Oz were on-camera for pretty much an entire episode."
Walt Phillips was the host on "Surfs Up" for the first dozen shows.
Click here to listen to a cut that we played regularly live on the show at KHJ Channel 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGindvHIto
Thanks Peter Townend.
"This photo and caption was from a recent issue of Pacific Longboarder, that my mate John Brasen runs!" -PT"

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: